View Poll Results: Was it correct to suspend this teacher for taking the students to "Hooters" restauran

Voters
113. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    26 23.01%
  • No

    87 76.99%
Page 29 of 47 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast
Results 281 to 290 of 465

Thread: Hooters - should this teacher be suspended for this?

  1. #281
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Epic Mountain
    Last Seen
    12-28-09 @ 06:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,384

    Re: Hooters - should this teacher be suspended for this?

    I don't see why alcohol would be an issue. They're not going to sell it to them are they?

  2. #282
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,145

    Re: Hooters - should this teacher be suspended for this?

    Quote Originally Posted by EpicDude86 View Post
    I don't see why alcohol would be an issue. They're not going to sell it to them are they?
    I think it was just another example of "selective outrage" that has been expressed by those trying desperately to find some argument to support their outrage.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  3. #283
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: Hooters - should this teacher be suspended for this?

    It seems like overkill to me. Anyone who has ever been in a Hooter's realizes there's a disappointing level of debauchery occurring. And, these are high school kids. Hooters is strictly PG rated.

    I'm going to guess that the parents have a serious disconnect with their children's everyday activities. They are certainly exposed to more cleavage in their cafeteria on a daily basis.

  4. #284
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,145

    Re: Hooters - should this teacher be suspended for this?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    A teacher who takes kids to a place that is going to be controversial(and this thread proves that it is controversial)
    I would say just the opposite. The overwhelming majority don't see it as a "controversy" at all. Only a select few that don't have much of an argument to base their "selective outrage" on...other than saying "its a parent's right". To which I would say that you are absolutely correct, it is your right to decide whether to send your kid on the trip or not. It is not your right to dictate to the school every single detail of the trip and to dictate to others on the trip what you believe is appropriate or inappropriate.
    As long as the school is following age appropriate bounds, then you as a parent have delegated that authority by allowing your child to attend the trip.
    You cannot micromanage the school....and you shouldn't overly micromanage a high school student.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  5. #285
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: Hooters - should this teacher be suspended for this?

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    IYou cannot micromanage the school....and you shouldn't overly micromanage a high school student.
    I think there are a lot of parents who want to strictly control every aspect of their teenagers' lives. The parents in my neighborhood are now monitoring their teenagers by GPS.

    The problem is that there is a point of diminishing returns where that level of control leads to an equal level of rebellion as the teenager attempts to establish an independent identity.

    These parents would prohibit Hooters but have no idea that their child is abusing skittles or giving
    I think by becoming more and more controlling, they believe that they will be able to protect their child from sex, drugs etc.
    blowjobs on the school bus. I've seen it with a lot of my daughters' friends. The strictest parents have the kids that are the biggest screw-ups....and the parents have no clue.

    One of the kids in our neighborhood was sneaking out several nights a week at age 14 and giving boys blowjobs. I heard about it during car pool. The mom was absolutely convinced that the daughter was a perfect catholic girl. She would be bragging to the rest of us about how perfect her daughter was, and I"d be thinking..."If you only knew." She was exactly the sort of mother to throw a fit over something like this.
    Last edited by Catz Part Deux; 12-21-09 at 03:01 PM.

  6. #286
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:11 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,331
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Hooters - should this teacher be suspended for this?

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    I would say just the opposite. The overwhelming majority don't see it as a "controversy" at all. Only a select few that don't have much of an argument to base their "selective outrage" on...other than saying "its a parent's right". To which I would say that you are absolutely correct, it is your right to decide whether to send your kid on the trip or not. It is not your right to dictate to the school every single detail of the trip and to dictate to others on the trip what you believe is appropriate or inappropriate.
    As long as the school is following age appropriate bounds, then you as a parent have delegated that authority by allowing your child to attend the trip.
    When I was in school, there was an annual trip to Chicago. Museum of Science and Industry + Shed's Aquarium(which is awesome beyond words), plus a couple other places that changed every year. Every year a permission slip was sent home for kids who wanted to go, with a list of the stops for the year, including where we would eat. This was not hard to do, and we are talking a significant all day trip(5 am leave time, return after midnight). If a parent had an issue with any of the stops, they could simply not agree to let the kid go. See how easy this is. No one is saying that I have seen that the trip was inappropriate in itself, only that parents should have been able to make the choice whether to send their children on the trip. This is the point you have still failed to comprehend. it's not parental ability to veto trips, it's parental right to not send their child. It's a real right, and belief in this right is not a conservative position. And you have yet to address this, instead making things up, and blowing things out of proportion, just like you claim this parent did.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  7. #287
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: Hooters - should this teacher be suspended for this?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    This is the point you have still failed to comprehend. it's not parental ability to veto trips, it's parental right to not send their child. It's a real right, and belief in this right is not a conservative position.
    I agree, very much so. However, having said that, as a parent, it is important for me to pick my battles based upon relative importance. In my opinion, this is an extremely minor issue. Of course, I can't say that it isn't the right of the parents to protest, but it says more about the parents and their priorities than it does the teacher.

    Just my take.

  8. #288
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,145

    Re: Hooters - should this teacher be suspended for this?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    When I was in school, there was an annual trip to Chicago. Museum of Science and Industry + Shed's Aquarium(which is awesome beyond words), plus a couple other places that changed every year. Every year a permission slip was sent home for kids who wanted to go, with a list of the stops for the year, including where we would eat. This was not hard to do, and we are talking a significant all day trip(5 am leave time, return after midnight). If a parent had an issue with any of the stops, they could simply not agree to let the kid go. See how easy this is. No one is saying that I have seen that the trip was inappropriate in itself, only that parents should have been able to make the choice whether to send their children on the trip. This is the point you have still failed to comprehend. it's not parental ability to veto trips, it's parental right to not send their child. It's a real right, and belief in this right is not a conservative position. And you have yet to address this, instead making things up, and blowing things out of proportion, just like you claim this parent did.
    I understand what you are saying, but I still believe that it is completely ridiculous for a school to list every restaurant they are going to.
    Maybe if these were elementary school children...but at 16-17 years old, you have to give your kids a little leeway and a little respect.
    I am not saying that schools should be allowed to take kids to XXX venues or promote drinking, but all-age establishments are certainly appropriate for all ages and therefore for the schools.
    If the child doesn't want to go to the establishment because it offends their morals, there are options available, less drastic than requiring them to miss the trip.

    I remember in Jr. High that a parent objected because our choir was singing a song from "Jesus Christ Superstar". They were going to cut the number out of the program due to this ONE parents objection, until all the other parents objected to the cutting.
    The solution was simple. The kid didn't have to sing the song....and the parents were free to walk out of the auditorium.
    The bottom line is - when you release a child to a trip, especially a high school age kid, you have to give them a least a little freedom and respect to make their own decisions. You cannot continue to shelter and micromange them until the day they turn 18.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  9. #289
    Sage
    jackalope's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    08-08-14 @ 01:54 PM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,494

    Re: Hooters - should this teacher be suspended for this?

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    I understand what you are saying, but I still believe that it is completely ridiculous for a school to list every restaurant they are going to.
    Maybe if these were elementary school children...but at 16-17 years old, you have to give your kids a little leeway and a little respect.
    I am not saying that schools should be allowed to take kids to XXX venues or promote drinking, but all-age establishments are certainly appropriate for all ages and therefore for the schools.
    If the child doesn't want to go to the establishment because it offends their morals, there are options available, less drastic than requiring them to miss the trip.

    I remember in Jr. High that a parent objected because our choir was singing a song from "Jesus Christ Superstar". They were going to cut the number out of the program due to this ONE parents objection, until all the other parents objected to the cutting.
    The solution was simple. The kid didn't have to sing the song....and the parents were free to walk out of the auditorium.
    The bottom line is - when you release a child to a trip, especially a high school age kid, you have to give them a least a little freedom and respect to make their own decisions. You cannot continue to shelter and micromange them until the day they turn 18.

    My daughter went on trips to Guatemala, Canada, Australia, and New Zealand. They each included detailed itineraries, including where the kids would be eating (breakfast lunch and dinner) each day. This was for trips out of the country. The trip in question is to the same city. The venue of destination, btw, has an indoor food court, which would have had many food options for kids to choose from, according to comments attached to a local story (saw it earlier today, but I don't have a link right now).

    It is just silly for a teacher to say it's too hard to let parents know where he or she is taking kids on a field trip. That's a really incompetent teacher, if that is actually the case.

  10. #290
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,145

    Re: Hooters - should this teacher be suspended for this?

    Quote Originally Posted by jackalope View Post
    My daughter went on trips to Guatemala, Canada, Australia, and New Zealand. They each included detailed itineraries, including where the kids would be eating (breakfast lunch and dinner) each day. This was for trips out of the country. The trip in question is to the same city. The venue of destination, btw, has an indoor food court, which would have had many food options for kids to choose from, according to comments attached to a local story (saw it earlier today, but I don't have a link right now).

    It is just silly for a teacher to say it's too hard to let parents know where he or she is taking kids on a field trip. That's a really incompetent teacher, if that is actually the case.
    Its not a matter of how hard or how easy it is. It is more of a question of What is required. Your experience is different than mine. I went on many trips that included a general itinerary, but didn't include every stop that we made or every restaurant we ate at. I think in a foreign country it might be more common to include that, because you are going on a tour and even for adults those types of things are common.

    If you are going on a day trip, the most common thing that I saw growing up was a notice on the permisison slip that we would be away for the day and the child should either bring money for lunch or pack a lunch.

    Schools shouldn't have to try to accommodate every parent/child's sensibilities. As long as the establishment is open to all ages...it is all age appropriate and the school shouldn't have to justify its decisions.
    The parent has to have enough respect and know their child well enough to make the decision that is appropriate for them. THAT opportunity was afforded to the offended child here. At high school age, they have to be able to make SOME decisions on their own. Parents cannot make every decision for them.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

Page 29 of 47 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •