View Poll Results: Was it correct to suspend this teacher for taking the students to "Hooters" restauran

Voters
113. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    26 23.01%
  • No

    87 76.99%
Page 26 of 47 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast
Results 251 to 260 of 465

Thread: Hooters - should this teacher be suspended for this?

  1. #251
    Sage
    jackalope's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    08-08-14 @ 01:54 PM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,494

    Re: Hooters - should this teacher be suspended for this?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dix View Post
    I hope this wasn't already posted. I scrolled thru and didn't see it.
    From Hooters website:

    The element of female sex appeal is prevalent in the restaurants, and the company believes the Hooters Girl is as socially acceptable as a Dallas Cowboy cheerleader, Sports Illustrated swimsuit model, or a Radio City Rockette...
    Hooters characterizes itself as a neighborhood place, not a typical family restaurant. Sixty-eight percent of customers are male, most between the ages of 25-54. Hooters does not market itself to families, but they do patronize the restaurants. Ten percent of the parties we serve have children in them. Hooters is in the hospitality business and provides the best possible service to anyone coming through the door. For this reason, the chain offers a children's menu.

    Hooters.com

    So there you have it. Not a family restaurant. 90% of the parties don't bring kids. I think that teacher showed poor judgement. The teen boys probably loved it. Which is why it was poor judgement on her part. But she should have received a lighter punishment, imo.

    Not a family restaurant. They're pretty clear about it.

  2. #252
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,145

    Re: Hooters - should this teacher be suspended for this?

    New Rules for High School Teachers (according to some on this site):

    You cannot take students:

    (1) To a restaurant that serves any kind of alcohol. (No Hooters, No Chili's, No Sizzlers, No Shakeys)

    (2) You cannot take children anywhere where they might see a female in short shorts or bikini tops ( No Beaches, No Public Swimming pools...etc)
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  3. #253
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Hooters - should this teacher be suspended for this?

    Even Chuck E. Cheese serves alcohol:

    Chuck E. Cheese - Menu - Menu Items

    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck E. Cheese
    Beverages

    (Free refills on all soft drinks)

    Coca-Cola® Soft Drinks • Iced Tea • Bottled Water • Milk • Minute Maid® Apple Juice • Coffee • Hot Tea • Beer • Wine

    Just clarifying that fact so that we can stop assuming that this bastion of debauchery is wholesome.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  4. #254
    Sage
    Dezaad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Last Seen
    06-28-15 @ 10:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    5,058
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Hooters - should this teacher be suspended for this?

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    New Rules for High School Teachers (according to some on this site):

    You cannot take students:
    <snip>

    (2) You cannot take children anywhere where they might see a female in short shorts or bikini tops ( No Beaches, No Public Swimming pools...etc)
    I have already addressed this with this:
    Clothing has more context than simply the person wearing it. I suppose you would support girls wearing bathing suits to their high school classes? How about the teachers doing the same?

    Deliberately charging an atmosphere with sexuality where that sexuality is traditionally absent: That is the appeal of Hooters. That is the crux of the matter with regard to the teacher's judgement.

  5. #255
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Hooters - should this teacher be suspended for this?

    Aren't cheerleader outfits (not too mention some of the maneuvers they engage in) just as bad as the hooters getup?
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  6. #256
    Sage
    jackalope's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    08-08-14 @ 01:54 PM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,494

    Re: Hooters - should this teacher be suspended for this?

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    New Rules for High School Teachers (according to some on this site):

    You cannot take students:

    (1) To a restaurant that serves any kind of alcohol. (No Hooters, No Chili's, No Sizzlers, No Shakeys)

    (2) You cannot take children anywhere where they might see a female in short shorts or bikini tops ( No Beaches, No Public Swimming pools...etc)


    Your argument has fallen apart. You said they were a family restaurant, no different than any other. They are not, they say they are not. There was no academic reason to go there. There were other choices. A parent objected. A kid was made to feel uncomfortable by an ancillary aspect of an otherwise potentially enriching school sponsored trip.

    If you want to take your kids there, go ahead. That has no impact on whether or not it is appropriate for the teacher to take someone else's kids there.

  7. #257
    Sage
    jackalope's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    08-08-14 @ 01:54 PM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,494

    Re: Hooters - should this teacher be suspended for this?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    Aren't cheerleader outfits (not too mention some of the maneuvers they engage in) just as bad as the hooters getup?

    Not at the HS my daughter grad from 2 yrs ago, or the one I grad from way back when.

  8. #258
    Sage
    Khayembii Communique's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,897

    Re: Hooters - should this teacher be suspended for this?


    Your argument has fallen apart. You said they were a family restaurant, no different than any other. They are not, they say they are not. There was no academic reason to go there. There were other choices. A parent objected. A kid was made to feel uncomfortable by an ancillary aspect of an otherwise potentially enriching school sponsored trip.

    If you want to take your kids there, go ahead. That has no impact on whether or not it is appropriate for the teacher to take someone else's kids there.
    Except the complaint was made after the fact.

    EDIT: BTW, the hilarity is that girls wear more revealing things to high school than the Hooters outfit.
    "I do not claim that every incident in the history of empire can be explained in directly economic terms. Economic interests are filtered through a political process, policies are implemented by a complex state apparatus, and the whole system generates its own momentum."

  9. #259
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Epic Mountain
    Last Seen
    12-28-09 @ 06:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,384

    Re: Hooters - should this teacher be suspended for this?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dix View Post
    I hope this wasn't already posted. I scrolled thru and didn't see it.
    From Hooters website:

    The element of female sex appeal is prevalent in the restaurants, and the company believes the Hooters Girl is as socially acceptable as a Dallas Cowboy cheerleader, Sports Illustrated swimsuit model, or a Radio City Rockette...
    Hooters characterizes itself as a neighborhood place, not a typical family restaurant. Sixty-eight percent of customers are male, most between the ages of 25-54. Hooters does not market itself to families, but they do patronize the restaurants. Ten percent of the parties we serve have children in them. Hooters is in the hospitality business and provides the best possible service to anyone coming through the door. For this reason, the chain offers a children's menu.

    Hooters.com

    So there you have it. Not a family restaurant. 90% of the parties don't bring kids. I think that teacher showed poor judgement. The teen boys probably loved it. Which is why it was poor judgement on her part. But she should have received a lighter punishment, imo.
    Not a TYPICAL family restaurant, and no more "Un-Family" than Dallas Cowboy Cheerleaders.

  10. #260
    Sage
    jackalope's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    08-08-14 @ 01:54 PM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,494

    Re: Hooters - should this teacher be suspended for this?

    Quote Originally Posted by Khayembii Communique View Post
    Except the complaint was made after the fact.

    EDIT: BTW, the hilarity is that girls wear more revealing things to high school than the Hooters outfit.

    The parent's complaint was after the fact, the kid's wasn't.


    And, girls, and boys, at my local HS have a dress code. Hooters outfits are not permissable school attire. Less is definitely not.

Page 26 of 47 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •