View Poll Results: Was it correct to suspend this teacher for taking the students to "Hooters" restauran

Voters
113. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    26 23.01%
  • No

    87 76.99%
Page 21 of 47 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast
Results 201 to 210 of 465

Thread: Hooters - should this teacher be suspended for this?

  1. #201
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,145

    Re: Hooters - should this teacher be suspended for this?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Why is it conservative to think children should have final say about what is right for their children? You keep twisting the conversation to what you think is important, while missing what others of us see as the key aspect.
    I'm not twisting anything....I just find it rather interesting that there are people that are all up in arms and offended about a teacher taking high school age kids to a restaurant that they could go to any day of the week on their own.

    This isn't about "parental consent"...its about trying to exert control over kids that are old enough to make this kind of choice on their own. Again...people...we are talking about an ALL AGE restaurant...not an adults only strip club.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  2. #202
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,145

    Re: Hooters - should this teacher be suspended for this?

    Quote Originally Posted by finebead View Post
    Disagree. Drill team is typically not scantily clad, nor do they engage in rapid athletic moves that NECESSITATE short or fitted tops to perform their moves.

    Cheerleaders and dance squads wear less clothing, to facilitate the rapid athletic moves they perform. There is a legitimate reason to be dressed that way for their performance. Do you think a cheerleader or dance team member could perform their routines in blue jeans and bulky sweatshirts? I don't. That is different than a Hooters waitress, who does not perform rapid athletic moves at all, and whose employer states the concept of the restaurant is "sex appeal".

    The important question is not what the attire is, the question is what is the intent of the attire that is the issue, and Hooters states it is "sex appeal". The public school system has no business supporting such a business. If a parent chooses to allow their teens to go to Hooters, that's a totally different issue, but the school should stay out of the business of going to a business whose concept is sex appeal.
    Oh please....you seriously believe that high school Cheerleaders and drill squads have nothing to do with "sex appeal".....puh....lease!

    This is nothing more than selective outrage.
    Last edited by disneydude; 12-20-09 at 09:27 PM.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  3. #203
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:26 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,331
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Hooters - should this teacher be suspended for this?

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    I'm not twisting anything....I just find it rather interesting that there are people that are all up in arms and offended about a teacher taking high school age kids to a restaurant that they could go to any day of the week on their own.

    This isn't about "parental consent"...its about trying to exert control over kids that are old enough to make this kind of choice on their own. Again...people...we are talking about an ALL AGE restaurant...not an adults only strip club.
    It is all about parental consent. Like it or not, parents do have the right to make decisions about what is appropriate, and whether you or I like those decisions is irrelevant. Call it conservative to believe that if you want(you will be wrong if you do), but that is how it is.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  4. #204
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,145

    Re: Hooters - should this teacher be suspended for this?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    It is all about parental consent. Like it or not, parents do have the right to make decisions about what is appropriate, and whether you or I like those decisions is irrelevant. Call it conservative to believe that if you want(you will be wrong if you do), but that is how it is.
    Yes....for an eight year old. Do you honestly believe that a 16-17-18 year olds is not going to "Hooters" with their friends?
    This isn't an 18 and over establishment. Its a family restaurant.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  5. #205
    Sage

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    11-06-17 @ 08:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    5,490

    Re: Hooters - should this teacher be suspended for this?

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    Yes....for an eight year old. Do you honestly believe that a 16-17-18 year olds is not going to "Hooters" with their friends?
    This isn't an 18 and over establishment. Its a family restaurant.
    good point, they could go there on their own without their parents ever knowing.

  6. #206
    Baby Eating Monster
    Korimyr the Rat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Laramie, WY
    Last Seen
    11-23-17 @ 02:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    18,709
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Hooters - should this teacher be suspended for this?

    Quote Originally Posted by finebead View Post
    Cheerleaders and dance squads wear less clothing, to facilitate the rapid athletic moves they perform. There is a legitimate reason to be dressed that way for their performance.
    I think it's a little disingenuous to claim that the purpose of cheerleading is not sex appeal. I mean no disrespect to the sport itself or to the fine young women who take it as seriously as any other sport, but their costumes are clearly designed to emphasize their sexuality.

    There is no athletic reason why their midriffs could not be covered.

    That said, cheerleading costumes are still more modest than the Hooter's uniform.

  7. #207
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,145

    Re: Hooters - should this teacher be suspended for this?

    Quote Originally Posted by Korimyr the Rat View Post
    I think it's a little disingenuous to claim that the purpose of cheerleading is not sex appeal. I mean no disrespect to the sport itself or to the fine young women who take it as seriously as any other sport, but their costumes are clearly designed to emphasize their sexuality.

    There is no athletic reason why their midriffs could not be covered.

    That said, cheerleading costumes are still more modest than the Hooter's uniform.
    Not really. Have you seen the outfits that high school cheerleaders wear these days....they aren't much different than what you would see at a Hooters.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  8. #208
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:26 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,331
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Hooters - should this teacher be suspended for this?

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    Yes....for an eight year old. Do you honestly believe that a 16-17-18 year olds is not going to "Hooters" with their friends?
    This isn't an 18 and over establishment. Its a family restaurant.
    It does not matter. If a parent decides a kid should not go, that parent is within their rights. Hell, if a parent tells their kid they cannot go to McDonalds, that is within their rights too.

    This thread should show you that for some, Hooters is not a place they would want their kids taken. Since some are going to be offended, why take the chance as a teacher? While I personally doubt I would have a problem with a kid of mine being taken there(and any chance of that would have more to do with alcohol being served), to suggest that for some it is an inappropriate place for kids is obvious just from some of the replies in this thread.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  9. #209
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:26 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,331
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Hooters - should this teacher be suspended for this?

    Quote Originally Posted by Korimyr the Rat View Post
    I think it's a little disingenuous to claim that the purpose of cheerleading is not sex appeal. I mean no disrespect to the sport itself or to the fine young women who take it as seriously as any other sport, but their costumes are clearly designed to emphasize their sexuality.

    There is no athletic reason why their midriffs could not be covered.

    That said, cheerleading costumes are still more modest than the Hooter's uniform.
    Back in the day, when I was in school, there where no bare midriff cheerleading costumes.

    Sigh, you know you are getting old when you say "back in the day"...
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  10. #210
    Baby Eating Monster
    Korimyr the Rat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Laramie, WY
    Last Seen
    11-23-17 @ 02:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    18,709
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Hooters - should this teacher be suspended for this?

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    Not really. Have you seen the outfits that high school cheerleaders wear these days....they aren't much different than what you would see at a Hooters.
    Yes, I have. Midriffs aside, their tops show less cleavage and their shorts are cut lower on the thigh.

Page 21 of 47 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •