View Poll Results: Is Christianity a Political Movement?

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    18 41.86%
  • No

    18 41.86%
  • Wait, what?

    1 2.33%
  • Other

    6 13.95%
Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 177

Thread: Is Christianity Political?

  1. #81
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: Is Christianity Political?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Which does not make Christianity political. You are changing subjects now.
    I was responding directly to your point. If you want to stay on topic, I'll try to do the same.

  2. #82
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:51 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,321
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Is Christianity Political?

    Quote Originally Posted by Toothpicvic View Post
    I already told you it's more commercial than political. And when it's political, it's only political for the sake of commercial gain. It has had no proof of its legitimacy and it never will. "Creationism", the resurrection, and the like have been thoroughly debunked (not that they ever had any proof to begin with).
    You are still wrong. You see Christianity as a monolith, when it is not. To refer to a comment I made earlier, there are subsets within the larger set of Christianity who are commercial, who are political, and so on. They do not however make up the whole of the set of Christianity. This is similar to how Islamic terrorists are a subset of the larger set of Muslims. They are not the whole of the set.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  3. #83
    Professor
    formerroadie's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    06-23-10 @ 08:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    2,014

    Re: Is Christianity Political?

    Quote Originally Posted by Toothpicvic View Post
    Only the actions of those from 100s of years ago? What about Fred Phelps, Jerry Falwel, Pat Robertson, Ted Haggart, pedophile priests, Operation Rescue, the IRA, the KKK, the CSA, the Aryan Nations, David Koresch, Jim Jones, etc etc etc
    Good examples, but what about the ones who represent the opposite like, say, Martin Luther King, The Patriarch of Constantinople, Saint Maximovich, etc. You see, those who cause the violence and craziness are usually the loudest and therefore held up as the examples of the entire religion. In the end, that is unfair.
    It's time for a revolution in our country. Not a revolution forged with guns and bombs but a revolution forged of compassion and altruism. A revolution that extends a hand to those who don't have and who cannot. A revolution that makes Health Care available to all those in the US.

  4. #84
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:51 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,321
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Is Christianity Political?

    Quote Originally Posted by Toothpicvic View Post
    Only the actions of those from 100s of years ago? What about Fred Phelps, Jerry Falwel, Pat Robertson, Ted Haggart, pedophile priests, Operation Rescue, the IRA, the KKK, the CSA, the Aryan Nations, David Koresch, Jim Jones, etc etc etc
    Are those the entirety of Christianity? I don't think so. This will be the first year in awhile that I don't spend part of christmas day at the Mel Trotter ministries helping them feed homeless people(who consist of a large number of vets) a nice meal for christmas. That group has to be lumped into the overall set of Christianity as well. Looking at only one or the other gives you an incomplete view.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  5. #85
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Is Christianity Political?

    Isn't political purpose the whole reason it was invented?
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  6. #86
    Professor
    formerroadie's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    06-23-10 @ 08:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    2,014

    Re: Is Christianity Political?

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    Isn't political purpose the whole reason it was invented?
    Christianity? No.
    It's time for a revolution in our country. Not a revolution forged with guns and bombs but a revolution forged of compassion and altruism. A revolution that extends a hand to those who don't have and who cannot. A revolution that makes Health Care available to all those in the US.

  7. #87
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:51 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,321
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Is Christianity Political?

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    I was responding directly to your point. If you want to stay on topic, I'll try to do the same.
    Sorry, I assumed you where actually trying to talk about the topic. That is where I made my mistake. Should I assume you are only going to try and bitch about Christianity and not talk about the subject then?
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  8. #88
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: Is Christianity Political?

    Quote Originally Posted by formerroadie View Post
    Good examples, but what about the ones who represent the opposite like, say, Martin Luther King, The Patriarch of Constantinople, Saint Maximovich, etc. You see, those who cause the violence and craziness are usually the loudest and therefore held up as the examples of the entire religion. In the end, that is unfair.
    I think that what comes into play in the U.S., at least, though, is when large voting blocks of religious folks start to dominate public policy on the basis of their "religious views." So, when it is the majority of a particular group that becomes politicized, at what point does the tipping point occur that we become the Holy Roman Empire? Because, as you well know, the pope played a hugely political role in Europe for a thousand years or more, and dictated state policy, much like religious conservatives have been attempting to do in the U.S. over the last 20 years.

  9. #89
    Professor
    formerroadie's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    06-23-10 @ 08:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    2,014

    Re: Is Christianity Political?

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    I think that what comes into play in the U.S., at least, though, is when large voting blocks of religious folks start to dominate public policy on the basis of their "religious views." So, when it is the majority of a particular group that becomes politicized, at what point does the tipping point occur that we become the Holy Roman Empire? Because, as you well know, the pope played a hugely political role in Europe for a thousand years or more, and dictated state policy, much like religious conservatives have been attempting to do in the U.S. over the last 20 years.
    That's just it. You presuppose that there is a majority of the Christian population voting and acting in that manner. That is not necessarily true.

    Yup. The RC did that after splitting from my church. We have a unique situation in history in that Religion/Politics/Kinship are not completely intertwined. Most of the world have this understanding and don't put things in compartments. We do. In fact, this sort of understanding of seperation of religion and politics is a post enlightenment invention. Before the enlightenment, it was unheard of. That said, those vocal Religious Right are not the majority of Christians in this country. They are just the vocal asses people hear instead of those who have a more level head and actually think. I used to be a conservative protestant. Trust me, I know the culture.

    There are also many in this country that don't claim religious affiliation but hold some of the conservative view points of said religious groups. I agree with you in that we have to keep church and state separate but to demonize an entire religion based on a portion of it is unjust.
    It's time for a revolution in our country. Not a revolution forged with guns and bombs but a revolution forged of compassion and altruism. A revolution that extends a hand to those who don't have and who cannot. A revolution that makes Health Care available to all those in the US.

  10. #90
    Sage
    Dav's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    04-16-16 @ 02:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,539

    Re: Is Christianity Political?

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    Ad hominem without supporting evidence.
    Your own posts are the supporting evidence.

    You have not yet responded to our assertions that according to your logic, age, race, and height, among other things, are political. Does this mean you have no rational argument you can use to defend your lack of logic?

    So, then, why does Christianity get a pass?
    ...

    I try to discuss your comparison of Christianity with fascism/Nazism, and now you're asking why they're getting "a pass"?

    So you're saying that all religious beliefs, including atheism, are comparable to fascism/Nazism?

    Did you miss the story in the religion section about the father (a pastor) who dripped melted plastic on his daughter because she was a witch?

    And yeah, this is all about peace and tolerance:

    "But, throwing God out successfully with the help of the federal court system, throwing God out of the public square, out of the schools. The abortionists have got to bear some burden for this because God will not be mocked. And when we destroy 40 million little innocent babies, we make God mad. I really believe that the pagans, and the abortionists, and the feminists, and the gays and the lesbians who are actively trying to make that an alternative lifestyle, the ACLU, People for the American Way -- all of them who have tried to secularize America -- I point the finger in their face and say, "You helped this happen."

    -- Rev Jerry Falwell, blaming civil libertarians, feminists, homosexuals, and abortion rights supporters for the terrorist attacks of Tuesday, September 11, 2001, quoted from John F Harris, "God Gave US 'What We Deserve,' Falwell Says," The Washington Post (September 14, 2001)

    I'm sorry, but you cannot tell me that if this guy had his way, they wouldn't be burning (or at the minimum), incarcerating non-believers.
    What percentage of Christians in America do you think favor torturing/killing non-believers?

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    I think that what comes into play in the U.S., at least, though, is when large voting blocks of religious folks start to dominate public policy on the basis of their "religious views." So, when it is the majority of a particular group that becomes politicized, at what point does the tipping point occur that we become the Holy Roman Empire? Because, as you well know, the pope played a hugely political role in Europe for a thousand years or more, and dictated state policy, much like religious conservatives have been attempting to do in the U.S. over the last 20 years.
    Please tell me who these religious conservatives are, and how they are trying to dictate U.S. policy. Specific examples, please.


    Not that it matters, since even if 99% of Christians wanted to impose their beliefs on everyone, the fact would remain that Christianity itself is not a political movement. Any more than, if all blacks wanted to impose rule based on race, the black race would not be a political movement.

Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •