View Poll Results: Is Christianity a Political Movement?

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    18 41.86%
  • No

    18 41.86%
  • Wait, what?

    1 2.33%
  • Other

    6 13.95%
Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 177

Thread: Is Christianity Political?

  1. #61
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:31 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,331
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Is Christianity Political?

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    Members of the Christian faith have killed MILLIONS in the name of their faith.
    So have most groups if you go back far enough. Your point in this?
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  2. #62
    Professor
    formerroadie's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    06-23-10 @ 08:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    2,014

    Re: Is Christianity Political?

    No, theologically, it is not political. There are those who would make it so and that is a twisted version of Christianity. The Church is to work in tandem with government in helping the poor, etc and in championing causes that lead to a more just society, i.e. universal health care. This is done simply through understanding that people are Images of God and therefore to be treated with all dignity. If the government is willing to work in tandem with the church, then that is a tool which can be used.

    My priests never mention politics except in our daily prayers where we pray for the citizens of our country and the president (generically, not by name). Otherwise, there is no political preaching, no political suggestions, and no political advice from the services or teaching moments in my church.

    This reflects my church in North America of course.
    It's time for a revolution in our country. Not a revolution forged with guns and bombs but a revolution forged of compassion and altruism. A revolution that extends a hand to those who don't have and who cannot. A revolution that makes Health Care available to all those in the US.

  3. #63
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    melbourne florida
    Last Seen
    09-24-15 @ 12:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,156

    Re: Is Christianity Political?

    It is hard to be political when by law a non profit church can not endorse or give opinions on elections.

  4. #64
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Last Seen
    06-29-10 @ 11:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,801

    Re: Is Christianity Political?

    Quote Originally Posted by ptif219 View Post
    It is hard to be political when by law a non profit church can not endorse or give opinions on elections.
    Lol you think that law is actually enforced? Be glad it isn't or half of the churches in the Bible belt would have the feds on their asses.

  5. #65
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: Is Christianity Political?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dav View Post
    Then maybe you should stop sucking at logic.
    Ad hominem without supporting evidence.

    Okay, and this happens with every religion, including atheism.
    So, then, why does Christianity get a pass?

    And yet, do modern American Christians believe in torturing non-believers, or burning witches? (If you say "yes" I give up.)
    Did you miss the story in the religion section about the father (a pastor) who dripped melted plastic on his daughter because she was a witch?

    And yeah, this is all about peace and tolerance:

    "But, throwing God out successfully with the help of the federal court system, throwing God out of the public square, out of the schools. The abortionists have got to bear some burden for this because God will not be mocked. And when we destroy 40 million little innocent babies, we make God mad. I really believe that the pagans, and the abortionists, and the feminists, and the gays and the lesbians who are actively trying to make that an alternative lifestyle, the ACLU, People for the American Way -- all of them who have tried to secularize America -- I point the finger in their face and say, "You helped this happen."

    -- Rev Jerry Falwell, blaming civil libertarians, feminists, homosexuals, and abortion rights supporters for the terrorist attacks of Tuesday, September 11, 2001, quoted from John F Harris, "God Gave US 'What We Deserve,' Falwell Says," The Washington Post (September 14, 2001)

    I'm sorry, but you cannot tell me that if this guy had his way, they wouldn't be burning (or at the minimum), incarcerating non-believers.

  6. #66
    Too big to fail
    niftydrifty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Last Seen
    03-03-16 @ 03:20 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,725

    Re: Is Christianity Political?

    Being taller than four foot is political. Wearing a tie is political.
    http://www.debatepolitics.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3227&dateline=1247527  127

  7. #67
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: Is Christianity Political?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    So have most groups if you go back far enough. Your point in this?
    The comparison to Nazism is not as much heinous and hateful as it is accurate and historically correct.

  8. #68
    Professor
    formerroadie's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    06-23-10 @ 08:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    2,014

    Re: Is Christianity Political?

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    The comparison to Nazism is not as much heinous and hateful as it is accurate and historically correct.
    Depends on which Christians and what part of the world.
    It's time for a revolution in our country. Not a revolution forged with guns and bombs but a revolution forged of compassion and altruism. A revolution that extends a hand to those who don't have and who cannot. A revolution that makes Health Care available to all those in the US.

  9. #69
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Last Seen
    06-29-10 @ 11:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,801

    Re: Is Christianity Political?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    So have most groups if you go back far enough. Your point in this?
    It's doctrine makes it far more inclined to violence and authoritarian rule than, say Buddhism or secularism. That is fact that you could learn for yourself if you actually studied religions instead of dropping your little "well other people do bad stuff too" card and pretending you have a point.

  10. #70
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Last Seen
    06-29-10 @ 11:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,801

    Re: Is Christianity Political?

    Quote Originally Posted by formerroadie View Post
    Depends on which Christians and what part of the world.
    But overall it's more accurate than saying that about secularism or the Enlightenment. Read the Bible.

Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •