View Poll Results: Is Christianity a Political Movement?

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    18 41.86%
  • No

    18 41.86%
  • Wait, what?

    1 2.33%
  • Other

    6 13.95%
Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 177

Thread: Is Christianity Political?

  1. #51
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: Is Christianity Political?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    Which, of course, is absolutely ridiculous. The opposite is true, in fact. You don't see atheists condemning believers to an eternity of torture just because they believe something different, do you?
    Seriously. A non-believer claiming (quite accurately) that Christianity in America is extremely politicized would be called a hater. Because, it's hateful to point out the obvious. Right?

  2. #52
    Sage
    Dav's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    04-16-16 @ 02:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,539

    Re: Is Christianity Political?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    Which, of course, is absolutely ridiculous. The opposite is true, in fact. You don't see atheists condemning believers to an eternity of torture just because they believe something different, do you?
    They probably would, if they believed in an eternity of torture.

    I maintain that atheist's image would significantly improve if a certain subset of them were more tolerant.

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    Given that we are a representational democracy, that would indeed be true. America is ruled by the people of America. Ergo, Americans are political.
    You seriously suck at logic.

  3. #53
    Sage
    Dav's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    04-16-16 @ 02:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,539

    Re: Is Christianity Political?

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    Seriously. A non-believer claiming (quite accurately) that Christianity in America is extremely politicized would be called a hater. Because, it's hateful to point out the obvious. Right?
    The fact that you think Christianity is political doesn't make you a hater, it makes you suck at logic.

    The fact that you think that Christianity can be compared to fascism or even Nazism with some degree of accuracy makes you a hater.

  4. #54
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: Is Christianity Political?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dav View Post
    I maintain that atheist's image would significantly improve if a certain subset of them were more tolerant.
    I maintain that Christians would be tolerated more if they were less political. See, I'm kind of intolerant of having other people's religious views shoved down my throat legislatively on the issues of religious tax exempt status, gay marriage, abortion, etc.

    You seriously suck at logic.
    Oh really? You have yet to identify the logical fallacy that I've supposedly committed. I think I will take your opinion under advisement.
    Last edited by Catz Part Deux; 12-17-09 at 07:52 PM.

  5. #55
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: Is Christianity Political?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dav View Post
    Is Christianity - All of Christianity, not just any political movement within it - a political movement?
    I'm only referencing the Christianity currently present in America.

    Although, Uganda is a close second.

  6. #56
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    melbourne florida
    Last Seen
    09-24-15 @ 12:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,156

    Re: Is Christianity Political?

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    Certainly, Christianity is a litmus test for the presidency. When was the last time we elected (or even remotely considered) a non-Christian?

    You may not want to think of Christianity as political, but let me ask you...

    Why are most anti-abortion voters Catholic and/or Evangelical?
    Why did religious congregations mobilize their membership against gay marriage and/or fund attack ads making all sorts of ridiculous claims about gays?

    In my opinion, the best thing we could do is revoke the tax exempt status for all religious organizations and let them freely embrace the fact that they are money-making entertainment-providing political action committees.
    2008. I do not consider Rev. Wright Christian and Obama went there 20 years.

  7. #57
    Sage
    Dav's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    04-16-16 @ 02:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,539

    Re: Is Christianity Political?

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    I maintain that Christians would be tolerated more if they were less political.
    ...

    I'm not even sure you actually believe the crap you're spewing right now. It is very likely you just want a response.

    Oh really? You have yet to identify the logical fallacy that I've supposedly committed. I think I will take your opinion under advisement.
    Irrelevant Conclusion.

    [ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logical_fallacy]Fallacy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]


    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    I'm only referencing the Christianity currently present in America.

    Although, Uganda is a close second.
    Good, so am I.

  8. #58
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    melbourne florida
    Last Seen
    09-24-15 @ 12:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,156

    Re: Is Christianity Political?

    Quote Originally Posted by windovervocalcords View Post
    Can you imagine a Muslim trying to get elected POTUS? Do we have any politicians in the US that have successfully run for office who are Muslim?
    Yes in minnesota

  9. #59
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: Is Christianity Political?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dav View Post
    The fact that you think Christianity is political doesn't make you a hater, it makes you suck at logic.
    You saying that I suck at logic doesn't prove anything or add much to the discussion. It's really more of a personal attack.

    The fact that you think that Christianity can be compared to fascism or even Nazism with some degree of accuracy makes you a hater.
    Actually, it means I've studied history.

    Christians waterboarding suspected heretics:



    Christians burning "witches":



    Search Malleus Maleficarum and learn about how the Holy Catholic Church conducted purges and torture of witches, heretics, and Jews.

    Just because it didn't happen in the last 50 years does not mean it didn't happen. Members of the Christian faith have killed MILLIONS in the name of their faith.

  10. #60
    Sage
    Dav's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    04-16-16 @ 02:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,539

    Re: Is Christianity Political?

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    You saying that I suck at logic doesn't prove anything or add much to the discussion. It's really more of a personal attack.
    Then maybe you should stop sucking at logic.

    Actually, it means I've studied history.

    Christians waterboarding suspected heretics:



    Christians burning "witches":



    Search Malleus Maleficarum and learn about how the Holy Catholic Church conducted purges and torture of witches, heretics, and Jews.

    Just because it didn't happen in the last 50 years does not mean it didn't happen. Members of the Christian faith have killed MILLIONS in the name of their faith.
    Okay, and this happens with every religion, including atheism.

    And yet, do modern American Christians believe in torturing non-believers, or burning witches? (If you say "yes" I give up.)

Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •