View Poll Results: Is Christianity a Political Movement?

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    18 41.86%
  • No

    18 41.86%
  • Wait, what?

    1 2.33%
  • Other

    6 13.95%
Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 177

Thread: Is Christianity Political?

  1. #41
    Too big to fail
    niftydrifty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Last Seen
    03-03-16 @ 03:20 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,725

    Re: Is Christianity Political?

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    Why? It's abundantly clear that I have a better grasp of the subject.
    Mmmmmmmmkay ... If you say so.
    http://www.debatepolitics.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3227&dateline=1247527  127

  2. #42
    Sage
    Dav's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    04-16-16 @ 02:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,539

    Re: Is Christianity Political?

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    Percentage of American presidents that attended a Christian church: 100%.
    1. This would not matter even if it were true. 100% of American presidents have been male, over 40, and until recently, white. Gender, age, and race are not political, though.

    2. This is not true to begin with.

    Religious affiliations of United States Presidents - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    Thomas Jefferson, Franklin Pierce, Abraham Lincoln, Andrew Johnson, and Rutherford B Hayes had no affiliation to any church when they were elected President (not counting Eisenhower, who was baptized 12 days into office, or Obama, who broke off ties with his church during the campaign).

    Of those, at least Jefferson was not a Christian, and possibly Lincoln as well.

    So 11% did not attend church, and 2-4.5% were not Christian.

  3. #43
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:41 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,335
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Is Christianity Political?

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    Percentage of American presidents that attended a Christian church: 100%.
    Percentage of presidents who have been American: 100 %

    Therefore by your (il)logoc, being American is political.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  4. #44
    Too big to fail
    niftydrifty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Last Seen
    03-03-16 @ 03:20 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,725

    Re: Is Christianity Political?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Percentage of presidents who have been American: 100 %

    Therefore by your (il)logoc, being American is political.
    Being white is political. Being a male is political.
    http://www.debatepolitics.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3227&dateline=1247527  127

  5. #45
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:41 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,335
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Is Christianity Political?

    Quote Originally Posted by liblady View Post
    most religions are right to life, so in fact, do have a political agenda, namely reversing roe v wade.
    Most everything in this country have religious people in them. It does not make them political. I am pretty sure most soup kitchens that feed the poor and homeless are religious groups, that does not make soup kitchens political.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  6. #46
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:41 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,335
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Is Christianity Political?

    Quote Originally Posted by niftydrifty View Post
    Being white is political. Being a male is political.
    Speaking English is political.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  7. #47
    Sage
    Dav's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    04-16-16 @ 02:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,539

    Re: Is Christianity Political?

    I think the main reason why it would be difficult to get an atheist elected President is because many people associate atheism with ferocious hatred and anger at people for believing something that they do not personally believe, and then saying that those people are oppressing atheists by making their religion "political".

  8. #48
    Too big to fail
    niftydrifty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Last Seen
    03-03-16 @ 03:20 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,725

    Re: Is Christianity Political?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Speaking English is political.
    Not having facial hair is political.
    http://www.debatepolitics.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3227&dateline=1247527  127

  9. #49
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,794

    Re: Is Christianity Political?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dav View Post
    I think the main reason why it would be difficult to get an atheist elected President is because many people associate atheism with ferocious hatred and anger at people for believing something that they do not personally believe, and then saying that those people are oppressing atheists by making their religion "political".
    Which, of course, is absolutely ridiculous. The opposite is true, in fact. You don't see atheists condemning believers to an eternity of torture just because they believe something different, do you?
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  10. #50
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: Is Christianity Political?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Therefore by your (il)logoc, being American is political.
    Given that we are a representational democracy, that would indeed be true. America is ruled by the people of America. Ergo, Americans are political.

Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •