View Poll Results: Is Christianity a Political Movement?

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    18 41.86%
  • No

    18 41.86%
  • Wait, what?

    1 2.33%
  • Other

    6 13.95%
Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 177

Thread: Is Christianity Political?

  1. #121
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Is Christianity Political?

    Quote Originally Posted by formerroadie View Post
    I am talking about historical occurrences, not "belief." While I am a believer, I am also a historian. There was no grand scheme to do what you say at the inception of Christianity. Sorry man. The fact is, the majority of people (I am a scholar and am hesitant to say "all" ) were religious and it would not have been in any way odd. In fact, a deviant would have been non-religious. Like I said to Tooth, it's far more complex than we can discuss here. People are involved with daily lives in a real historical period of Roman Occupation, upheaval, and massive mobility like never before. I understand your belief and I respect it, but to say that it wasn't a sect of Judaism that spread throughout a small group of people across the empire is odd. It doesn't contradict your take on the situation in any way.
    While I do not claim to be a christian scholar, it was my understanding that Judaism itself was a belief. Just as there were those in our history that believed the sun was a God. I do not argue that most people in early history were religious, I used to be myself. I just see no proof that belief was based on anything but a fear of the unknown and writings by those who believed similarly.
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  2. #122
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:22 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,326
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Is Christianity Political?

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    I guess the question is: Do they represent the majority of the movement or the minority? If they represent the majority, and I would contend that they do, then the movement could accurately be characterized as political. It's a matter of numbers.

    For instance, I have zero problems with the Greek Orthodox church. But then, they aren't political and they are also small in numbers in the U.S.

    Why do you think that Rick Warren was one of the facilitators at the presidential debates? Was it because Christianity is apolitical?
    I am looking for some good poll numbers, not found it yet. I did find this as something to think about: Evangelical Vote Shifting Democratic, Poll Indicates - Features - Christian living - Christianity.com

    Poll data from the March 4 primary in Ohio show that more than four out of ten white evangelical Christians cast their vote for a Democratic candidate. According to the liberal groups that sponsored the poll, the data indicate that white evangelicals are interested in a broad range of issues and are shifting their voting behavior.
    This further suggests that christianity is not homogeneous, which it would have to be at least to an extent to be political. Most people in the US are christian, which means they make up large portions of both political parties, plus smaller parties, and make up large portions of many opposing organizations(say pro and anti abortion groups).
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  3. #123
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Last Seen
    06-29-10 @ 11:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,801

    Re: Is Christianity Political?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Of course it is inaccurate. Any time you make generalizations about a large group it's going to be inaccurate. Once you get a fair number of people, there are going to be large differences between even relatively similar groups. You have been wildly inaccurate in just this thread, since you see only what you choose, instead of all that is there. You are one of those people who reach a conclusion, then search for evidence to support it, instead of looking at the evidence and then reaching a conclusion.
    Wrong. It's based on my personal experience with Christianity as a former evangelical Christian.

  4. #124
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:22 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,326
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Is Christianity Political?

    Further information: http://www.publicreligion.org/object...l%20Report.pdf

    The 2009 Religious Activist Surveys were conducted by the Bliss Institute of Applied Politics at the University of Akron in partnership with Public Religion Research. These first ever comparative surveys of conservative and progressive religious activists find them to be faithful, engaged, and divergent.
    Again, wildly divergent political beliefs all under the umbrella of Christianity. In this case, it is even looking at politically active Christians, and finds them not a single force.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  5. #125
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: Is Christianity Political?

    Quote Originally Posted by Toothpicvic View Post
    Wrong. It's based on my personal experience with Christianity as a former evangelical Christian.
    Well, that explains our fervor, doesn't it?

  6. #126
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:22 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,326
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Is Christianity Political?

    Quote Originally Posted by Toothpicvic View Post
    Wrong. It's based on my personal experience with Christianity as a former evangelical Christian.
    So you can judge a whole group of million of people based on your personal experience. Yeah, that will work...
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  7. #127
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: Is Christianity Political?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    So you can judge a whole group of million of people based on your personal experience. Yeah, that will work...
    I think that it can be argued that evangelicals understand the evangelical perspective better than outsiders. Just like fundamentalist polygamists understand the culture better than outsiders. Or, Islamics understand their faith better than the average western Christian.

  8. #128
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: Is Christianity Political?

    I would definitely say that to describe the evangelical movement as political in nature is not a misnomer by any stretch of the imagination, and other sects, such as Catholicism, have a long history of the same.

  9. #129
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:22 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,326
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Is Christianity Political?

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    I would definitely say that to describe the evangelical movement as political in nature is not a misnomer by any stretch of the imagination, and other sects, such as Catholicism, have a long history of the same.
    Neither statement is untrue, nor does either statement prove that all of christianity is political. This addresses your post above this one as well. No one has claimed there are not christian political groups, nor that some christians are active in politics, only that this is not the entirety, and generalizing them as such is unfair and does a disservice to those who do not fit into those categories.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  10. #130
    Sage
    Dav's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    04-16-16 @ 02:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,539

    Re: Is Christianity Political?

    Catz, the point you are missing is that even if Christians did want to use their religion in politics - and I maintain that most of them do not - that would not make Christianity a primarily political thing, any more than race is a primarily political thing because blacks all voted for Obama.

Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •