View Poll Results: Is Christianity a Political Movement?

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    18 41.86%
  • No

    18 41.86%
  • Wait, what?

    1 2.33%
  • Other

    6 13.95%
Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 177

Thread: Is Christianity Political?

  1. #111
    Professor
    formerroadie's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    06-23-10 @ 08:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    2,014

    Re: Is Christianity Political?

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    That's the origins, but it evolved into something much more political from the time of Constantine I.
    This is true. Like I said in a prior post, religion was not separate from politics in any society (that we have record of) until the enlightenment. Therefore, it's difficult to compare the US to those periods. BUT, there were those who had issues with it nonetheless. St. John Chrysostom was a preacher in Antioch and often preached against the political actions of the emperor. Again, we hear about the prominent and loudest voices while those who are in opposition are often subdued (the winner writes history and all). It is not political in its doctrine but rather can be used politically by those who do so wrongly (and I am speaking again of the US situation. history has taught us the traps of having a theocracy).
    It's time for a revolution in our country. Not a revolution forged with guns and bombs but a revolution forged of compassion and altruism. A revolution that extends a hand to those who don't have and who cannot. A revolution that makes Health Care available to all those in the US.

  2. #112
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: Is Christianity Political?

    Quote Originally Posted by formerroadie View Post
    This is true. Like I said in a prior post, religion was not separate from politics in any society (that we have record of) until the enlightenment. Therefore, it's difficult to compare the US to those periods. BUT, there were those who had issues with it nonetheless. St. John Chrysostom was a preacher in Antioch and often preached against the political actions of the emperor. Again, we hear about the prominent and loudest voices while those who are in opposition are often subdued (the winner writes history and all). It is not political in its doctrine but rather can be used politically by those who do so wrongly (and I am speaking again of the US situation. history has taught us the traps of having a theocracy).
    Unfortunately, there is a huge movement amongst evangelicals that would tear down the wall between church/state. And, the wall was erected during the enlightenment at a tremendous price....the murder of scientists, politicians, etc. for not following the will of the church or in some way daring to undermine accepted doctrine.

  3. #113
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:01 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,361
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Is Christianity Political?

    Quote Originally Posted by Toothpicvic View Post
    It's not accurate, it's a meaningless and bleeding obvious statement that adds nothing to the discussion.
    Of course it is inaccurate. Any time you make generalizations about a large group it's going to be inaccurate. Once you get a fair number of people, there are going to be large differences between even relatively similar groups. You have been wildly inaccurate in just this thread, since you see only what you choose, instead of all that is there. You are one of those people who reach a conclusion, then search for evidence to support it, instead of looking at the evidence and then reaching a conclusion.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  4. #114
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: Is Christianity Political?

    The problem, Redress, is that Christianity has a history of being inseparable from government, and there are many in American who want to restore it to that position. In some ways, it is already there.

  5. #115
    Professor
    formerroadie's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    06-23-10 @ 08:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    2,014

    Re: Is Christianity Political?

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    I respect your belief Roadie. However without proof that God exists, it is only a belief. I think it grew out of traditional beliefs that evolved from the sun and moon being gods and man's fear of the afterlife.

    Governments simply promoted religion as way to placate the masses, and narrow the leadership to a few, IMO.
    I am talking about historical occurrences, not "belief." While I am a believer, I am also a historian. There was no grand scheme to do what you say at the inception of Christianity. Sorry man. The fact is, the majority of people (I am a scholar and am hesitant to say "all" ) were religious and it would not have been in any way odd. In fact, a deviant would have been non-religious. Like I said to Tooth, it's far more complex than we can discuss here. People are involved with daily lives in a real historical period of Roman Occupation, upheaval, and massive mobility like never before. I understand your belief and I respect it, but to say that it wasn't a sect of Judaism that spread throughout a small group of people across the empire is odd. It doesn't contradict your take on the situation in any way.
    It's time for a revolution in our country. Not a revolution forged with guns and bombs but a revolution forged of compassion and altruism. A revolution that extends a hand to those who don't have and who cannot. A revolution that makes Health Care available to all those in the US.

  6. #116
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: Is Christianity Political?

    Quote Originally Posted by formerroadie View Post
    I understand your belief and I respect it, but to say that it wasn't a sect of Judaism that spread throughout a small group of people across the empire is odd. It doesn't contradict your take on the situation in any way.
    I think it would be accurate to say that it was adopted by Constantine as a tool of managing the empire. That may not have been the origins, but it was quickly seized upon by ambitious men and used politically.

  7. #117
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:01 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,361
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Is Christianity Political?

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    The problem, Redress, is that Christianity has a history of being inseparable from government, and there are many in American who want to restore it to that position. In some ways, it is already there.
    And when efforts are made to insert Christianity actively in government I will happily oppose it. That does not make Christianity political, only some people who are Christians political.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  8. #118
    Professor
    formerroadie's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    06-23-10 @ 08:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    2,014

    Re: Is Christianity Political?

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    Unfortunately, there is a huge movement amongst evangelicals that would tear down the wall between church/state. And, the wall was erected during the enlightenment at a tremendous price....the murder of scientists, politicians, etc. for not following the will of the church or in some way daring to undermine accepted doctrine.
    Agreed. But, again, not all Christians agreed with such measures. So, we are at the beginning of the argument again. I do like that you say "evangelicals" because that is the group I would place them in among people who claim to be Christian. But, there are probably evangelicals that don't do that, I've just not met any.

    I think that it's more religion has been a part of our government since our inception because the people in many political positions were religious and made and enforced laws based on that instead of the constitution, precedent, etc. Moving away from that is what we are trying to do and the religious right are scared, fearful and downright wrong. It's the same shrill we heard when our government moved to make blacks legally recognized as people.
    It's time for a revolution in our country. Not a revolution forged with guns and bombs but a revolution forged of compassion and altruism. A revolution that extends a hand to those who don't have and who cannot. A revolution that makes Health Care available to all those in the US.

  9. #119
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: Is Christianity Political?

    Quote Originally Posted by formerroadie View Post
    Agreed. But, again, not all Christians agreed with such measures.
    I agree, but that's the first point at which it transitioned from spiritual movement to political movement, and it remained a political movement into the Holy Roman Empire.

    So, we are at the beginning of the argument again.
    I like that you can discuss this with a background of history and without getting overly emotional.

    I do like that you say "evangelicals" because that is the group I would place them in among people who claim to be Christian. But, there are probably evangelicals that don't do that, I've just not met any.
    I grew up Evangelical, it's the fastest growing group of Christians in the U.S., and is highly political.

    I think that it's more religion has been a part of our government since our inception because the people in many political positions were religious and made and enforced laws based on that instead of the constitution, precedent, etc.
    I agree, but on the other hand, chicken or egg?

    Moving away from that is what we are trying to do and the religious right are scared, fearful and downright wrong.
    Oh, I agree. And, they've created quite a backlash for themselves. (see the poll votes)

  10. #120
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: Is Christianity Political?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    And when efforts are made to insert Christianity actively in government I will happily oppose it. That does not make Christianity political, only some people who are Christians political.
    I guess the question is: Do they represent the majority of the movement or the minority? If they represent the majority, and I would contend that they do, then the movement could accurately be characterized as political. It's a matter of numbers.

    For instance, I have zero problems with the Greek Orthodox church. But then, they aren't political and they are also small in numbers in the U.S.

    Why do you think that Rick Warren was one of the facilitators at the presidential debates? Was it because Christianity is apolitical?
    Last edited by Catz Part Deux; 12-17-09 at 09:55 PM.

Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •