View Poll Results: The Domocrats appear to have lost a strong hold on which of the following group(s)?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • Catholics

    5 13.51%
  • Southerners

    19 51.35%
  • Union Members

    1 2.70%
  • Blacks

    2 5.41%
  • #1, #2 and #3

    10 27.03%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 32

Thread: A test question about the Democratic Party

  1. #11
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:30 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,290
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: A test question about the Democratic Party

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Education has nothing to do with it. It has to do with historical trends. Republicans decided to target poor and disgruntled southern whites after the 1960s civil rights act. It's called the Southern strategy. Why don't you pick up a book on it? It'll help you out tons.
    You mean he should get educated?
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  2. #12
    Guru
    bicycleman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Old Virginny
    Last Seen
    11-10-17 @ 08:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    4,215

    Re: A test question about the Democratic Party

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Education has nothing to do with it. It has to do with historical trends. Republicans decided to target poor and disgruntled southern whites after the 1960s civil rights act. It's called the Southern strategy. Why don't you pick up a book on it? It'll help you out tons.
    Any book you recommend may be biased. I prefer living the actual events as they happen.

    If the Republican strategy was to target poor, uneducated, disgruntled whites, why did they continue to vote Democrat instead of Republican? Two main reasons: parents before them were Democrats and lack of education.

    When George Wallace ran for President in 1968, that was the only time the southerners didn't vote Democrat. They voted on the Independent ticket for a white racist and as a result cinched the election for Nixon. Now, times have changed and southerners are getting better educated.

  3. #13
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:30 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,290
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: A test question about the Democratic Party

    Quote Originally Posted by bicycleman View Post
    Any book you recommend may be biased. I prefer living the actual events as they happen.

    If the Republican strategy was to target poor, uneducated, disgruntled whites, why did they continue to vote Democrat instead of Republican? Two main reasons: parents before them were Democrats and lack of education.

    When George Wallace ran for President in 1968, that was the only time the southerners didn't vote Democrat. They voted on the Independent ticket for a white racist and as a result cinched the election for Nixon. Now, times have changed and southerners are getting better educated.
    Here, have a starter course: [ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_strategy]Southern strategy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  4. #14
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,019

    Re: A test question about the Democratic Party

    Quote Originally Posted by bicycleman View Post
    Any book you recommend may be biased. I prefer living the actual events as they happen.
    That's great for you. Too bad your experience means dick to most people.

    If the Republican strategy was to target poor, uneducated, disgruntled whites, why did they continue to vote Democrat instead of Republican? Two main reasons: parents before them were Democrats and lack of education.

    When George Wallace ran for President in 1968, that was the only time the southerners didn't vote Democrat. They voted on the Independent ticket for a white racist and as a result cinched the election for Nixon. Now, times have changed and southerners are getting better educated.
    Southern whites did NOT continue to vote Democrat for much longer after the 60s - In fact - The south as a region is now a Republican stronghold with the last Democrat enclaves being situated in the more urbanized regions(cities). This was not because of education. The South as a region is still highly uneducated with some of the lowest literacy rates in the country. It has NOTHING to do with 'education'. It has to do with political strategy and appealing to certain groups of voters.
    Last edited by Hatuey; 12-09-09 at 08:16 PM.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  5. #15
    Guru
    bicycleman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Old Virginny
    Last Seen
    11-10-17 @ 08:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    4,215

    Re: A test question about the Democratic Party

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    That's great for you. Too bad your experience means dick to most people.



    Southern whites did NOT continue to vote Democrat for much longer after the 60s - In fact - The south as a region is now a Republican stronghold with the last Democrat enclaves being situated in the more urbanized regions(cities). This was not because of education. The South as a region is still highly uneducated with some of the lowest literacy rates in the country. It has NOTHING to do with 'education'. It has to do with political strategy and appealing to certain groups of voters.
    I 1968 I was 22 and got to vote for the first time in my life. I was no snot-nosed 18-year old who had no clue about life, or the candidates. I had studied them and voted for the best man. It was the year we got to vote for liquor by the drink at restaurants. Back then no self respecting southerner would be seen voting for a carpet bagger Republican. It was all Democrat. Hubert Humphrey was running then on the Democrat ticket and would have become President if it had not been for former Democrat, George Wallace, who ran against both Nixon and Humphrey on an Independent ticket. He received 9 million votes, one of which was mine. If it hadn't been for him, Humphrey would have been a shoe-in, but alas, he lost to Nixon. The same little thing was pulled when Perot ran for President and assured the election went to Clinton. You just can't beat being a part of that history. That is how the truth gets into history books. Yet, people like you, who have never been there, only read it in a book, and a biased one at that, are now writing history. It's frightening how our true history is being destroyed all for political correctness.
    Last edited by bicycleman; 12-09-09 at 08:43 PM.

  6. #16
    Guru
    bicycleman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Old Virginny
    Last Seen
    11-10-17 @ 08:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    4,215

    Re: A test question about the Democratic Party

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Thank you, but I prefer life's teachings.

    I see you're using Wikipedia, a rather biased and unreliable resource, since anyone with a notion can log on and change what is written. Wikepedia is only for quick reference, but with the caveat to check more reliable resources.
    Last edited by bicycleman; 12-09-09 at 08:54 PM.

  7. #17
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,019

    Re: A test question about the Democratic Party

    Quote Originally Posted by bicycleman View Post
    I 1968 I was 22 and got to vote for the first time in my life. I was no snot-nosed 18-year old who had no clue about life, or the candidates. I had studied them and voted for the best man. It was the year we got to vote for liquor by the drink at restaurants. Back then no self respecting southerner would be seen voting for a carpet bagger Republican. It was all Democrat. Hubert Humphrey was running then on the Democrat ticket and would have become President if it had not been for former Democrat, George Wallace, who ran against both Nixon and Humphrey on an Independent ticket. He received 9 million votes, one of which was mine. If it hadn't been for him, Humphrey would have been a shoe-in, but alas, he lost to Nixon. The same little thing was pulled when Perot ran for President and assured the election went to Clinton. You just can't beat being a part of that history. That is how the truth gets into history books. Yet, people like you, who have never been there, only read it in a book, and a biased one at that, are now writing history. It's frightening how our true history is being destroyed all for political correctness.
    That's great for you. Refute anything I've said. You haven't. Why?
    Last edited by Hatuey; 12-09-09 at 09:15 PM.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  8. #18
    Sage
    Dav's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    04-16-16 @ 02:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,539

    Re: A test question about the Democratic Party

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Education has nothing to do with it. It has to do with historical trends. Republicans decided to target poor and disgruntled southern whites after the 1960s civil rights act. It's called the Southern strategy. Why don't you pick up a book on it? It'll help you out tons.
    The Southern Strategy is irrelevant now, when Republicans can rely on the South to vote for them, and it was irrelevant then, when most Southern states voted for Allan.

    And it's not so much about education as income, though of course the two are linked. Like all other groups, blacks are more likely to vote Republican the higher their income (to a point), so their poor economic situation compared to whites probably doesn't help the GOP.

    Incidentally, blacks poll the same numbers as Republicans on most social issues:
    Blacks as Conservative as Republicans on Some Moral Issues

    And 33% of blacks identify themselves as conservative, only 7-10% below the national average:
    African-Americans Drive Liberal Uptick | John W. Pope Civitas Institute



    EDIT: Apparently this is my 2,00th post. Hooray. That banner at the top freaked me out when I saw my name on it though.
    Last edited by Dav; 12-09-09 at 09:51 PM.

  9. #19
    Guru
    bicycleman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Old Virginny
    Last Seen
    11-10-17 @ 08:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    4,215

    Re: A test question about the Democratic Party

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    That's great for you. Refute anything I've said. You haven't. Why?
    You haven't read anything I have posted with understanding because you are too busy thinking of a retort. I'm going to retire for the evening. You will then have time to mull over what I have written. The answers are hidden, but I know you can find them.

  10. #20
    Sage
    Navy Pride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Pacific NW
    Last Seen
    05-07-15 @ 02:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    39,883

    Re: A test question about the Democratic Party

    Republicans don't have to carry a huge percentage of the Black vote.......President Bush won with 9 and 11 percent and if they ever got up to 20 percent it would be curtains for the dems..........
    "God Bless Our Troops in Harms Way."

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •