View Poll Results: Favorite Amendment

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • One from the Bill of Rights

    30 75.00%
  • One between 11th and 15th

    4 10.00%
  • 17th

    1 2.50%
  • 19th, 24th, 26th

    2 5.00%
  • 20th, 22nd, 23rd, 25th

    0 0%
  • 21st (Alcoholics please choose this option)

    3 7.50%
  • 27th (Congressional representatives pick this option)

    0 0%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 34

Thread: Your Favorite Amendment to the U.S. Constitution.

  1. #11
    Sage
    UtahBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    12-03-17 @ 01:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,687

    Re: Your Favorite Amendment to the U.S. Constitution.

    The NEXT one, the one that says that politicians gets no benefits that are not affordable to the general public, that indexes their pay to minimum wage, and that holds them criminally responsible for misuse of their authority in a way that betrays the public trust.
    Oracle of Utah
    Truth rings hollow in empty heads.

  2. #12
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 09:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,067

    Re: Your Favorite Amendment to the U.S. Constitution.

    Quote Originally Posted by CrusaderRabbit08 View Post
    9th Amendment

    The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people.

    A nice catch all amendment for the rest of our rights that weren't listed in the Constitution.

    The problem is, it's pretty much ignored at all levels of government and these rights are routinely denied or severely restricted.
    I do not think the 9th is a "just in case we forgot to list something else as a right" seeing how rights can always be added with another amendment. I think it means Your rights can not be used to deny others their rights that are listed in the constitution. For example my right to 2nd amendment rights can not be used to deny you your right to free speech,freedom of religion and so on. Basically one right can not be used to trample or suppress another right. Rights retained by the people would be those enumerated in the constitution.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  3. #13
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    09-22-10 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: Your Favorite Amendment to the U.S. Constitution.

    This poll is discriminatory.

    It's not allowing the socialists to vote for #16.

  4. #14
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Your Favorite Amendment to the U.S. Constitution.

    Quote Originally Posted by CrusaderRabbit08 View Post
    9th Amendment

    The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people.

    A nice catch all amendment for the rest of our rights that weren't listed in the Constitution.

    The problem is, it's pretty much ignored at all levels of government and these rights are routinely denied or severely restricted.
    Thats because it recognizes that there are other rights, but it does not prescribe a particular protection for them.

  5. #15
    Devourer of Poor Children
    DrunkenAsparagus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    DC
    Last Seen
    01-20-16 @ 04:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,496

    Re: Your Favorite Amendment to the U.S. Constitution.

    "I plead the 3rd. I have few principles, but I stick to them"

    XKCD
    "Doubleplusungood"

    George Orwell

  6. #16
    Sage
    Dav's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    04-16-16 @ 02:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,539

    Re: Your Favorite Amendment to the U.S. Constitution.

    10th Amendment. Not because it's the most important, but because it's the most neglected and thus it is the most necessary to educate people about and put more focus on. Unfortunately a huge portion of what the Federal government does today pretty clearly violates the 10th Amendment.

  7. #17
    Professor
    CrusaderRabbit08's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    05-13-10 @ 02:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,022

    Re: Your Favorite Amendment to the U.S. Constitution.

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    I do not think the 9th is a "just in case we forgot to list something else as a right" seeing how rights can always be added with another amendment. I think it means Your rights can not be used to deny others their rights that are listed in the constitution. For example my right to 2nd amendment rights can not be used to deny you your right to free speech,freedom of religion and so on. Basically one right can not be used to trample or suppress another right. Rights retained by the people would be those enumerated in the constitution.
    You are so wrong. Rights are not granted. They pre-exist; even the foundations of this country. The 9th amendment is the guardian of all unenumerated rights.

    How can you say that rights retained by the people are only those enumerated in the Constitution when the text of the 9th clearly contradicts you? The 9th speaks to unenumerated rights.

    The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people. - 9th Amendment
    Here's what Madison had to say on this when he introduced the Bill of Rights:

    It has been objected also against a Bill of Rights, that, by enumerating particular exceptions to the grant of power, it would disparage those rights which were not placed in that enumeration; and it might follow by implication, that those rights which were not singled out, were intended to be assigned into the hands of the General Government, and were consequently insecure. This is one of the most plausible arguments I have ever heard against the admission of a bill of rights into this system; but, I conceive, that it may be guarded against. I have attempted it, as gentlemen may see by turning to the last clause of the fourth resolution.
    That last clause of the fourth resolution eventually became the 9th amendment. Delegates were quite concerned that by listing a handful of rights, those that weren't listed would fall prey to the government. Despite Madison's valiant attempt to alleviate those fears via the 9th, it pretty much failed. To this day, we're still fighting to secure unenumerated rights because the 9th has basically been shoved aside as government at all levels has enlarged its powers at the expense of our rights.

    Nowhere in the Constitution is government granted the authority to take upon itself powers not specifically spelled out; and yet, you argue that government has the power to grant rights. Most baffling.

    BTW, Madison was speaking to people like you when he said those words. Pity you pay him no heed.

  8. #18
    Sage
    Dav's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    04-16-16 @ 02:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,539

    Re: Your Favorite Amendment to the U.S. Constitution.

    Quote Originally Posted by CrusaderRabbit08 View Post
    9th Amendment

    The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people.

    A nice catch all amendment for the rest of our rights that weren't listed in the Constitution.

    The problem is, it's pretty much ignored at all levels of government and these rights are routinely denied or severely restricted.
    The ironic thing about the 9th is that the way it is interpreted today is the exact opposite way it was originally supposed to be interpreted.

    The 9th was put in to clarify that not all rights are protected by the Constitution, and that Constitutional rights are not the only rights one can have. It has somehow been construed as to mean that all rights are Constitutional- the exact opposite of the intended message- and that the Supreme Court gets to make up any "unenumerated right" it wants to, and it will be part of the Constitution, even though it's not part of the Constitution.

    For that reason, the 9th has become my least favorite Amendment - not because of the intentions behind it, but because of how many peoople read it today.

  9. #19
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Your Favorite Amendment to the U.S. Constitution.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dav View Post
    10th Amendment. Not because it's the most important, but because it's the most neglected and thus it is the most necessary to educate people about and put more focus on. Unfortunately a huge portion of what the Federal government does today pretty clearly violates the 10th Amendment.
    Actually, it IS among the most important -- it notes that the federal governmnt is limited to the powers given to it by the Constitution, and that all other power is otherwise retained.

    That is, power flows up, not down.

  10. #20
    Professor
    CrusaderRabbit08's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    05-13-10 @ 02:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,022

    Re: Your Favorite Amendment to the U.S. Constitution.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dav View Post
    The 9th was put in to clarify that not all rights are protected by the Constitution, and that Constitutional rights are not the only rights one can have. It has somehow been construed as to mean that all rights are Constitutional- the exact opposite of the intended message- and that the Supreme Court gets to make up any "unenumerated right" it wants to, and it will be part of the Constitution, even though it's not part of the Constitution.
    According to who?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •