View Poll Results: Is racism wrong?

Voters
376. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    119 31.65%
  • No

    251 66.76%
  • There is no such thing as racism

    6 1.60%
Page 14 of 39 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 381

Thread: Is racism wrong?

  1. #131
    Student
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    01-16-10 @ 03:12 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    229

    Re: Is racism wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    (This poll mirrors a different debate forum. I wanted to see the difference in their responses and our responses)
    It is wrong.

    But interestingly enough there are many on this site who argue that there is no such thing as right and wrong. Some say it is "irrational" to keep from admitting that there is wrong.
    But follow that to its logical conclusion and irrational is nothing more than a synonym for WRONG. It is a poor synonym. Because many things are horrifically wrong that are perfectly rational.

  2. #132
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Epic Mountain
    Last Seen
    12-28-09 @ 06:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,384

    Re: Is racism wrong?

    Race being a determining factor in superiority/inferiority is silly unless you're playing an RPG where race selection impacts your character's weaknesses/strengths. Other than that it's just another failed 'ism' used to prove points and throw blame.

  3. #133
    Baby Eating Monster
    Korimyr the Rat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Laramie, WY
    Last Seen
    11-23-17 @ 02:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    18,709
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Is racism wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by EpicDude86 View Post
    Race being a determining factor in superiority/inferiority is silly unless you're playing an RPG where race selection impacts your character's weaknesses/strengths. Other than that it's just another failed 'ism' used to prove points and throw blame.
    Yeah, but in an RPG, when they say "race" they really mean something closer to "species"-- with notable exceptions like Buck Roger XXVC and the d20 Conan. The fact that humans and elves can crossbreed would be an argument against this, if the same games didn't also hint that humans can successfully reproduce with dragons, faeries, and elemental spirits.

    Race, the entire concept of race, is a silly superstition that dates back to the times that royal cousins married to "keep their blood pure".

    The way I figure it, every society's gods have had their dalliances with mortals. We all have divine bloodlines and there's no reason to stay within "our race" to keep those divine bloodlines intact when any other person of any other race has just as much claim to descent from the gods of their ancestors-- assuming that they still follow a religion that allows them to claim this. Seems that the God of Abraham has most of the planet under his thumb, except for those who choose to believe in one god fewer than most.

  4. #134
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    01-21-11 @ 01:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    471

    Re: Is racism wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by Korimyr the Rat View Post
    It's a sociological construct.
    Benjamin Franklin in Observations Concerning the Increase of Mankind, Peopling of Countries, &c. (1751)
    24. Which leads me to add one Remark: That the Number of purely white People in the World is proportionably very small. All Africa is black or tawny. Asia chiefly tawny. America (exclusive of the new Comers) wholly so. And in Europe, the Spaniards, Italians, French, Russians and Swedes, are generally of what we call a swarthy Complexion; as are the Germans also, the Saxons only excepted, who with the English, make the principal Body of White People on the Face of the Earth. I could wish their Numbers were increased. And while we are, as I may call it, Scouring our Planet, by clearing America of Woods, and so making this Side of our Globe reflect a brighter Light to the Eyes of Inhabitants in Mars or Venus, why should we in the Sight of Superior Beings, darken its People? why increase the Sons of Africa, by Planting them in America, where we have so fair an Opportunity, by excluding all Blacks and Tawneys, of increasing the lovely White and Red? But perhaps I am partial to the Complexion of my Country, for such Kind of Partiality is natural to Mankind.

    The Germans (except 'Saxons'), Spaniards, Italians, French, Russians, and SWEDES have a swarthy complexion and aren't worthy of membership in the white race. Either that or Benjamin Franklin experimented with some serious psychedelic drugs along with being a tinkerer and inventor in general.
    Last edited by Sov; 12-09-09 at 06:38 AM.
    Pan-Humanist Movement
    “The only real nation is humanity” ~ Paul Farmer

  5. #135
    Frankernaut peepnklown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    10-16-15 @ 04:01 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    607

    Re: Is racism wrong?

    I think we should judge a book by its cover.
    I’m sure I do not want to actually read a book for its content.
    Sarcasm is surely a lost art, eh?
    'The whole universe is going to die!'

  6. #136
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: Is racism wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by Matt633 View Post
    It is wrong.

    But interestingly enough there are many on this site who argue that there is no such thing as right and wrong. Some say it is "irrational" to keep from admitting that there is wrong.
    But follow that to its logical conclusion and irrational is nothing more than a synonym for WRONG. It is a poor synonym. Because many things are horrifically wrong that are perfectly rational.
    Racist thoughts and impulses are human nature. Acting on them, like acting on any evil thoughts or impulses, is wrong.

  7. #137
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: Is racism wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by peepnklown View Post
    Sarcasm is surely a lost art, eh?
    Yeah, right. Sure it is. Whatever you say.

  8. #138
    Sage
    Khayembii Communique's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,887

    Re: Is racism wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by misterman
    Racist thoughts and impulses are human nature. Acting on them, like acting on any evil thoughts or impulses, is wrong.
    What is "human nature"? Why are you clinging to such an outdated construct?
    "I do not claim that every incident in the history of empire can be explained in directly economic terms. Economic interests are filtered through a political process, policies are implemented by a complex state apparatus, and the whole system generates its own momentum."

  9. #139
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: Is racism wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by Khayembii Communique View Post
    What is "human nature"? Why are you clinging to such an outdated construct?
    That's outdated? Okay, whatever. Forget I said it. Racist thoughts and impulses are (insert your preferred academic/pscyhological/post-modern term here).

  10. #140
    Sage
    Khayembii Communique's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,887

    Re: Is racism wrong?

    That's outdated? Okay, whatever. Forget I said it. Racist thoughts and impulses are (insert your preferred academic/pscyhological/post-modern term here).
    I wasn't saying that the word is outdated; I was saying that the idea that there's such a thing as "human nature" is.
    Last edited by Khayembii Communique; 12-09-09 at 12:22 PM.
    "I do not claim that every incident in the history of empire can be explained in directly economic terms. Economic interests are filtered through a political process, policies are implemented by a complex state apparatus, and the whole system generates its own momentum."

Page 14 of 39 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •