View Poll Results: What is the Most Powerful Nation in Europe?

Voters
127. You may not vote on this poll
  • Bundesrepublik Deutschland (Federal Republic of Germany)

    58 45.67%
  • United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

    46 36.22%
  • Cinquième République de la France (Fifth Republic of France)

    12 9.45%
  • other

    11 8.66%
Page 21 of 33 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast
Results 201 to 210 of 324

Thread: What is the most powerful nation in Europe?

  1. #201
    Guru
    repeter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    07-15-14 @ 12:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,445

    Re: What is the most powerful nation in Europe?

    Quote Originally Posted by Maximus Zeebra View Post
    After the US, France possesses the most advanced military technology and military industry. Ahead of the UK and possibly Israel and Russia/China.
    Forgetting Germany aren't you? I'd bet the Leclerc couldn't stand up to a Leopard, the mechanics in France would get smashed by German mechanics, the German airforce would ground the Frenchies, and don't even get me started on the quality of commanders in Germany...
    Veni. Vidi. Vici.
    -Gaius Julius Caesar
    The Only Thing to Fear is Fear Itself.
    -Franklin Delano Roosevelt

  2. #202
    Guru
    repeter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    07-15-14 @ 12:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,445

    Re: What is the most powerful nation in Europe?

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    Rather clearly it is Russia.
    And you say this why? Please, more then because they are a large country.
    Veni. Vidi. Vici.
    -Gaius Julius Caesar
    The Only Thing to Fear is Fear Itself.
    -Franklin Delano Roosevelt

  3. #203
    Sage
    kaya'08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    British Turk
    Last Seen
    05-12-14 @ 01:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    6,363

    Re: What is the most powerful nation in Europe?

    Quote Originally Posted by repeter View Post
    And you say this why? Please, more then because they are a large country.
    Because they have oil, huge geographical advantages, bundles of resources, massive nucleur arms and alot of domestic arms manafacture.
    "If religious instruction were not allowed until the child had attained the age of reason, we would be living in quite a different world" - Christopher Hitchens
    > Good to be back, but I'm only visiting for a few weeks. <

  4. #204
    Advisor Warspite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Here and There
    Last Seen
    01-08-10 @ 06:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    478

    Re: What is the most powerful nation in Europe?

    Russia is not a European nation per se (barring Geography). The thing is the threads which bind much of continental Europe together, namely the Roman heritage, are lacking in Russia.

  5. #205
    Guru
    repeter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    07-15-14 @ 12:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,445

    Re: What is the most powerful nation in Europe?

    Quote Originally Posted by kaya'08 View Post
    Because they have oil, huge geographical advantages, bundles of resources, massive nucleur arms and alot of domestic arms manafacture.
    Not to mention enough corruption to incapacitate the leadership. Russia is like the Soviet Union in the respect that it seems more of a danger then it really is. The nuclear weapons only mean no one will invade and occupy the country. The geography allows hinders any invasion, and it also spreads their army extremely thin. The resources are for the msot part untouched because of the geography. The domestic arms manufacturers build Russian weapons, which used to be Soviet weapons, which used to suck. Their oil will be important, but not for half a decade or so, if their leadership can pull their act together, and utilize all the resources at their disposal.
    Veni. Vidi. Vici.
    -Gaius Julius Caesar
    The Only Thing to Fear is Fear Itself.
    -Franklin Delano Roosevelt

  6. #206
    Guru
    repeter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    07-15-14 @ 12:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,445

    Re: What is the most powerful nation in Europe?

    Quote Originally Posted by Warspite View Post
    Russia is not a European nation per se (barring Geography). The thing is the threads which bind much of continental Europe together, namely the Roman heritage, are lacking in Russia.
    Russia is technically a Eurasian country, considered a part of both Europe and Asia. Russia still has lands west of the Caucasus Mountains.
    Veni. Vidi. Vici.
    -Gaius Julius Caesar
    The Only Thing to Fear is Fear Itself.
    -Franklin Delano Roosevelt

  7. #207
    Advisor Warspite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Here and There
    Last Seen
    01-08-10 @ 06:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    478

    Re: What is the most powerful nation in Europe?

    Quote Originally Posted by repeter View Post
    Russia is technically a Eurasian country, considered a part of both Europe and Asia. Russia still has lands west of the Caucasus Mountains.
    Im not talking about geography, I'm talking about culture.

  8. #208
    Conservative Independent
    DarkWizard12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Tyler TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,562

    Re: What is the most powerful nation in Europe?

    Quote Originally Posted by repeter View Post
    In the context of a hegemony, I agree with you. No Europerean Nation will be able to establish a hegemony over the others in our lifetime. But in relation to which country is strongest, from your analysis, it seems to be Germany, correct?
    I'm saying that if Germany where to get just one medium-powered(at least) ally, Switzerland for its banking, UK for its financials, Italy, France, Poland, Russia, Spain, or Sweden, there would be no debate about it.

    Basically, as those of us who are used to the 4x strategy games, their diplomatic affairs are the only barrier in their claim to be undoubtedly "the strongest" in Europe. Untill then, I say its a tie between Germany and UK, Russia too if we want to include it.
    Last edited by DarkWizard12; 12-30-09 at 06:52 PM.

  9. #209
    Sage
    kaya'08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    British Turk
    Last Seen
    05-12-14 @ 01:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    6,363

    Re: What is the most powerful nation in Europe?

    Quote Originally Posted by repeter View Post
    Not to mention enough corruption to incapacitate the leadership. Russia is like the Soviet Union in the respect that it seems more of a danger then it really is.
    Incapacitate the leadership? There is alot of corruption, granted, but not enough to hinder their abilities to exert power in the region.

    The nuclear weapons only mean no one will invade and occupy the country. The geography allows hinders any invasion, and it also spreads their army extremely thin.
    There are enough nucleur weapons for a bit of everything, not neccessarily just for defence. They have more than the US. It will only take Russia to fully utilize its resources and organize its army before its back on top again. The geography of Russia is strategic for the most part, mountainous and freezing cold area's do not even require a military force as most of the enemy forces would die before they even overcame such conditions. Therefore stretching the army thin is not neccessary and prooves a massive strategic advantage for attacking and defending forces. Add massive oil reserves to the equation and the fact that Europe is reliant as hell of Russia for energy, Russia may not look like the most powerful European nation at first glance, but it definetly is up there.
    "If religious instruction were not allowed until the child had attained the age of reason, we would be living in quite a different world" - Christopher Hitchens
    > Good to be back, but I'm only visiting for a few weeks. <

  10. #210
    Sage
    kaya'08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    British Turk
    Last Seen
    05-12-14 @ 01:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    6,363

    Re: What is the most powerful nation in Europe?

    Quote Originally Posted by Warspite View Post
    Russia is not a European nation per se (barring Geography). The thing is the threads which bind much of continental Europe together, namely the Roman heritage, are lacking in Russia.
    Its a part of Europe nonetheless. Roman heritage is irrelevant, Europe existed before Rome. Infact its contribution in accordance to land mass in Europe would make it the largest European nation with or without the geographically unEuropean parts of Russia.
    "If religious instruction were not allowed until the child had attained the age of reason, we would be living in quite a different world" - Christopher Hitchens
    > Good to be back, but I'm only visiting for a few weeks. <

Page 21 of 33 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •