View Poll Results: Read the prompt and answer

Voters
55. You may not vote on this poll
  • Liberals

    39 70.91%
  • Conservatives

    16 29.09%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 56

Thread: Who Better Understands What Liberals Think

  1. #21
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    04-02-15 @ 06:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,211

    Re: Who Better Understands What Liberals Think

    Liberals aren't liberals. They're authoritarian leftists.

  2. #22
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Western Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    12-30-09 @ 08:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,648

    Re: Who Better Understands What Liberals Think

    What about Conservatives who used to be pretty left-leaning, down with the struggle, social-liberation types?

    You don't thInk "they" KNOW what liberals believe?

  3. #23
    Devourer of Poor Children
    DrunkenAsparagus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    DC
    Last Seen
    01-20-16 @ 04:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,496

    Re: Who Better Understands What Liberals Think

    Quote Originally Posted by the makeout hobo View Post
    It seems to me that many conservatives on this site seem to think they understand what Liberals think better than those whose beliefs they're discussing. They'll sometimes even tell you that you're wrong about what you believe. So I thought I'd put it to a poll. Who better understands what liberals think, and why?
    This problem also applies to Liberals, Moderates, Libertarians, Facisists, and any other political movement. There are as*holes on all sides
    "Doubleplusungood"

    George Orwell

  4. #24
    Familiaist


    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    North Carolina
    Last Seen
    11-16-16 @ 09:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    7,470

    Re: Who Better Understands What Liberals Think

    Quote Originally Posted by Gardener View Post
    A better question would be to ask who really understands liberal ideology, since precious few on either side seem to have much of a grasp.

    For the vast majority, what is liberal and what is conservative is not defined by actual ideology, but by simple labels. If a "liberal" expresses an opinion, that opinion is labelled liberal and a conservative likewise, until peopel are simply replicating memes instead of espousing an ideology.
    Damnit, I hate this. I have to agree with Gardener (for once).


    Liberalism created the United States; a dream to create a state free from religious persecution, and tyranny.

    Liberalism created the United States' welfare system; a highly debated decision, where in some areas 1 out of every 4 people (of a previously higher income) are now on Food Stamps/Welfare, and 1 out of every 3 black people in some urban environments rely on Food Stamps.

    Liberalism, also, created al Qaeda; an imaginary alternative to the Westernization and through the myopic analysis from Qubtism.
    "I do not underestimate the ability of fanatical groups of terrorists to kill and destroy, but they do not threaten the life of the nation. Whether we would survive Hitler hung in the balance, but there is no doubt that we shall survive al-Qa'ida." -- Lord Hoffmann

  5. #25
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,998

    Re: Who Better Understands What Liberals Think

    On an individual, person for person level, I imagine a liberal person knows what they think and believe better than a conservative person telling them what those things are.

    I believe in regards to an ideology as a whole, general a liberal is more likely to know their ideology and what it thinks better than a conservative but this is not concrete. IE a studied political scientist that happens to be conservative likely knows more about the liberal view point than say joe blow on the couch after a long day of union work who knows he votes democrat pretty much because they keep his union benefits going.

    I also think both sides have a tendency to spin their side’s and the other side’s view points in a way that makes them look how they’d want. It’s very hard to have a very neutral definition of what an ideology thinks, why they think it, etc. In part because personal bias plays in, in part because the reasons someone at the top may be pushing it may be different than those at the bottom so while more push it for one reason the most powerful may be pushing it for another.

    However the whole notion of this poll and the one sidedness is a bit of an example of how narrow viewed people can get, as these same accusations continually and routinely are thrown out towards conservatives as well as we’re told what we believe, why we believe it, etc. This isn’t a tactic found only on one side in the least.

  6. #26
    Sage
    Dav's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    04-16-16 @ 02:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,539

    Re: Who Better Understands What Liberals Think

    I think we can learn a lot about our own beliefs from how other people view them. Obviously, our views on our own beliefs are going to be biased. Unfortunately, other people's views on our beliefs are usually biased too.

  7. #27
    Student Benzin388's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Ohio (Stationed in South Dakota)
    Last Seen
    08-10-17 @ 09:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    223

    Re: Who Better Understands What Liberals Think

    Quote Originally Posted by UtahBill View Post
    A lot of conservatives use the evangelical approach. They avoid discussing their own ideas, as it is much easier to just attack the ideas of others.

    Conservatives in general have no desire to listen to the ideas from the other side.....if they make no attempt to listen, they will never understand....
    Sounds to me like you think you understand conservatives better than conservatives themselves. This thread is actually pretty stupid.

  8. #28
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:38 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,344
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Who Better Understands What Liberals Think

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    On an individual, person for person level, I imagine a liberal person knows what they think and believe better than a conservative person telling them what those things are.

    I believe in regards to an ideology as a whole, general a liberal is more likely to know their ideology and what it thinks better than a conservative but this is not concrete. IE a studied political scientist that happens to be conservative likely knows more about the liberal view point than say joe blow on the couch after a long day of union work who knows he votes democrat pretty much because they keep his union benefits going.

    I also think both sides have a tendency to spin their side’s and the other side’s view points in a way that makes them look how they’d want. It’s very hard to have a very neutral definition of what an ideology thinks, why they think it, etc. In part because personal bias plays in, in part because the reasons someone at the top may be pushing it may be different than those at the bottom so while more push it for one reason the most powerful may be pushing it for another.

    However the whole notion of this poll and the one sidedness is a bit of an example of how narrow viewed people can get, as these same accusations continually and routinely are thrown out towards conservatives as well as we’re told what we believe, why we believe it, etc. This isn’t a tactic found only on one side in the least.
    I am sure they are thrown back at conservatives, but I understand what the Hobo is talking about, and why he posted it as he did. I don't I guess notice the examples against conservatives, since it's not telling me what I think, and inaccurately, and it's getting to be epidemic. I get told almost daily what I and us damn "libbos" think, and it never, not once is accurate. It's hair-pullingly aggravating, which is probably part of the goal of it.

    On a further note, "liberalism", as it is today, represents a pretty broad spectrum of people. Hobo and I do not agree on every issue, and yet we are both liberals. I am very law and order, very anti illegal immigrant, anti gun control to a large extent, strong national defense, and am adamant about the troubles with a large deficit, yet I am still, overall, a liberal, and fairly far to the left. Using a blanket argument like "you libbos think..." is just dismissive, and inaccurate, even if it is in general close to what many liberals do think.

    Somehow we need to get back to arguing against points, not labels.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  9. #29
    Sage
    UtahBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    12-03-17 @ 01:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,687

    Re: Who Better Understands What Liberals Think

    A lot of the conservatives I know are parrots, sqawking the words of Rush, Beck, etc. I doubt they understand what they think, much less what liberals think...
    Oracle of Utah
    Truth rings hollow in empty heads.

  10. #30
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    Re: Who Better Understands What Liberals Think

    Quote Originally Posted by The silenced majority View Post
    What about Conservatives who used to be pretty left-leaning, down with the struggle, social-liberation types?

    You don't thInk "they" KNOW what liberals believe?
    I think that is fairly common. I believe a good number of people who are liberal when they are young, become more conservative as they age.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •