View Poll Results: Worst 20th Century President

Voters
158. You may not vote on this poll
  • Theodore Roosevelt

    3 1.90%
  • Woodrow Wilson

    12 7.59%
  • Herbert Hoover

    18 11.39%
  • Franklin Delano Roosevelt

    26 16.46%
  • Harry Truman

    1 0.63%
  • Lyndon Baines Johnson

    3 1.90%
  • Richard Nixon

    15 9.49%
  • James Earl Carter

    38 24.05%
  • William Jefferson Clinton

    6 3.80%
  • Other (Specify)

    36 22.78%
Page 6 of 31 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 304

Thread: Worst 20th Century President

  1. #51
    Guru
    bicycleman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Old Virginny
    Last Seen
    11-10-17 @ 08:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    4,215

    Re: Worst 20th Century President

    Quote Originally Posted by Chappy View Post
    While Ronald Reagan violated his oath of office and subverted the U.S. Constitution in the Iran-Contra scandal it was another GOP president, Richard Nixon, who threatend the foundation our system and way of life with his conspiracies to use the U.S. government and its agencies to attack his political enemies and take revenge upon those who crossed him.
    Welcome to DP.

    What parts of the Constitution were subverted by Reagan and Nixon?

  2. #52
    User
    Chappy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Last Seen
    04-07-15 @ 01:50 AM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    2,443
    Blog Entries
    26

    Re: Worst 20th Century President

    Quote Originally Posted by bicycleman View Post
    … What parts of the Constitution were subverted by Reagan and Nixon?
    Reagan created his own treasury (funded by the illicit proceeds obtained from the illegal transfer of military spare parts to Iran [you know, the Arms for Hostages scandal]), his own secret foreign policy (war on Nicaragua) with his own private army (the contras) and his own secret air force (re-flagged former C.I.A. cargo aircraft [remember Eugene Hasenfus, a member of that air force, who survived the shoot down of his plane when he disobeyed orders and wore a parachute).

    Effectively Reagan created his own secret government within the government unaccountable to anyone but him. There can be no doubt that these actions subverted the Constitution. Reagan would have been impeached, convicted and removed from office but for a congressional leadership at the time that felt the country would be ill served by another failed presidency so soon after Nixon's. [Compare the quality of their judgment with that of the congressional leadership a decade later that impeached our president over a private, personal matter even as he was addressing the imminent threat posed by militant Islamic extremism.]

    Nixon of course created the Plumbers, who performed illegal break ins, illicit surveillance and other dirty tricks against his political enemies. Nixon used I.R.S. audits to punish people who crossed him. And, he actively directed the cover up when his crimes were about to be exposed. There is no doubt that Nixon subverted his oath and the Constitution in his actions and only his resignation prevented his impeachment, conviction and removal from office.
    Last edited by Chappy; 11-27-09 at 12:45 AM.
    Real environmentalists live in cities, and they visit what's left of the wilderness as gently and respectfully as possible. Donna Moulton, letter to the editor, Tucson Weekly, published on August 23, 2001

  3. #53
    Guru
    bicycleman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Old Virginny
    Last Seen
    11-10-17 @ 08:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    4,215

    Re: Worst 20th Century President

    Quote Originally Posted by Chappy View Post
    Reagan created his own treasury (funded by the illicit proceeds obtained from the illegal transfer of military spare parts to Iran [you know, the Arms for Hostages scandal]), his own secret foreign policy (war on Nicaragua) with his own private army (the contras) and his own secret air force (re-flagged former C.I.A. cargo aircraft [remember Eugene Hasenfus, a member of that air force, who survived the shoot down of his plane when he disobeyed orders and wore a parachute).

    Effectively Reagan created his own secret government within the government unaccountable to anyone but him. There can be no doubt that these actions subverted the Constitution. Reagan would have been impeached, convicted and removed from office but for a congressional leadership at the time that felt the country would be ill served by another failed presidency so soon after Nixon's. [Compare the quality of their judgment with that of the congressional leadership a decade later that impeached our president over a private, personal matter even as he was addressing the imminent threat posed by militant Islamic extremism.]

    Nixon of course created the Plumbers, who performed illegal break ins, illicit surveillance and other dirty tricks against his political enemies. Nixon used I.R.S. audits to punish people who crossed him. And, he actively directed the cover up when his crimes were about to be exposed. There is no doubt that Nixon subverted his oath and the Constitution in his actions and only his resignation prevented his impeachment, conviction and removal from office.
    You forgot to include President Obama's illegal appointment of his many czars. Let's see Clinton routinely used IRS audits against conservative news media outlets who started publishing the real scoop on Clinton's governance, or lack thereof. Who could forget the IRS audits of the women whom he dallied with, scaring them into silence?

    Clinton Misogyny - Sex
    Juanita Broaddrick (AR)- rape
    Eileen Wellstone (Oxford) - rape
    Elizabeth Ward Gracen - rape - quid pro quo, post incident intimidation
    Regina Hopper Blakely - "forced himself on her, biting, bruising her"
    Kathleen Willey (WH) - sexual assault, intimidations, threats
    Sandra Allen James (DC) - sexual assault
    22 Year Old 1972 (Yale) - sexual assault
    Kathy Bradshaw (AK) - sexual assault
    Cristy Zercher - unwelcomed sexual advance, intimidations
    Paula Jones (AR) - unwelcomed sexual advance, exposure, bordering on sexual assault
    Carolyn Moffet -unwelcomed sexual advance, exposure, bordering on sexual assault
    1974 student at University of Arkansas - unwelcomed physical contact
    1978-1980 - seven complaints per Arkansas state troopers
    Monica Lewinsky - quid pro quo, post incident character assault
    Gennifer Flowers - quid pro quo, post incident character assault
    Dolly Kyle Browning - post incident character assault
    Sally Perdue - post incident threats
    Betty Dalton - rebuffed his advances, married to one of his supporters
    Denise Reeder - apologetic note scanned
    Feel free to read the rest. It's ugly, probably belongs in the Basement.

    CLINTON'S ROGUES GALLERY:

    How much of that was done on tax payer money and time? Yeah, it would be nice to elect one President, who respects the Constitution. They are all guilty of deceit in one form or another.

  4. #54
    User
    Chappy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Last Seen
    04-07-15 @ 01:50 AM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    2,443
    Blog Entries
    26

    Re: Worst 20th Century President

    Quote Originally Posted by bicycleman View Post
    You forgot to include President Obama's illegal appointment of his many czars. Let's see Clinton routinely used IRS audits against conservative news media outlets who started publishing the real scoop on Clinton's governance, or lack thereof. …
    Obama is a twenty-first century president so critiques about his presidency are irrelevant in regard to this thread about the worst twentieth century president.

    With regard to Clinton, you're entitled to your opinion as to the quality of his presidency; as for me, I think he lead the nation into the largest economic expansion in human history, balanced the budget and protected the nation; not a bad record at all.

    But, none of the allegations against Clinton were remotely within the vicinity of the very real threats to the Constitution posed by the presidencies of Ronald Reagan and Richard Nixon. There simply is no equivalency at all.
    Last edited by Chappy; 11-27-09 at 01:30 AM.
    Real environmentalists live in cities, and they visit what's left of the wilderness as gently and respectfully as possible. Donna Moulton, letter to the editor, Tucson Weekly, published on August 23, 2001

  5. #55
    Tavern Bartender
    Pussy Grabbin' Beaver
    Middleground's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Canada's Capital
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    22,449
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Worst 20th Century President

    For me, it's either Hoover, Nixon, or Reagan. I'll give the nod to Reagan.
    No men are anywhere, and Im allowed to go in, because Im the owner of the pageant and therefore Im inspecting it, Trump said... Is everyone OK? You know, theyre standing there with no clothes. Is everybody OK? And you see these incredible looking women, and so I sort of get away with things like that.

  6. #56
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,351

    Re: Worst 20th Century President

    Quote Originally Posted by Middleground View Post
    For me, it's either Hoover, Nixon, or Reagan. I'll give the nod to Reagan.


    Why specifically Reagan?
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  7. #57
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Worst 20th Century President

    Quote Originally Posted by Chappy View Post
    Reagan created his own treasury (funded by the illicit proceeds obtained from the illegal transfer of military spare parts to Iran [you know, the Arms for Hostages scandal]), his own secret foreign policy (war on Nicaragua) with his own private army (the contras) and his own secret air force (re-flagged former C.I.A. cargo aircraft [remember Eugene Hasenfus, a member of that air force, who survived the shoot down of his plane when he disobeyed orders and wore a parachute).

    Effectively Reagan created his own secret government within the government unaccountable to anyone but him. There can be no doubt that these actions subverted the Constitution.
    Assuming for the moment that your characterizations are accurate:
    What parts?

  8. #58
    Guru
    bicycleman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Old Virginny
    Last Seen
    11-10-17 @ 08:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    4,215

    Re: Worst 20th Century President

    Quote Originally Posted by Chappy View Post
    Obama is a twenty-first century president so critiques about his presidency are irrelevant in regard to this thread about the worst twentieth century president.

    With regard to Clinton, you're entitled to your opinion as to the quality of his presidency; as for me, I think he lead the nation into the largest economic expansion in human history, balanced the budget and protected the nation; not a bad record at all.

    But, none of the allegations against Clinton were remotely within the vicinity of the very real threats to the Constitution posed by the presidencies of Ronald Reagan and Richard Nixon. There simply is no equivalency at all.
    What sections of the Constitution did Reagan and Nixon violate?

  9. #59
    Tavern Bartender
    Pussy Grabbin' Beaver
    Middleground's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Canada's Capital
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    22,449
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Worst 20th Century President

    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend_Hellh0und View Post
    Why specifically Reagan?
    Chappy does a good job of explaining it in post #52. I also think his economic policies was the beginning of the downfall of today. The man had loads of charm, but that's about it.
    No men are anywhere, and Im allowed to go in, because Im the owner of the pageant and therefore Im inspecting it, Trump said... Is everyone OK? You know, theyre standing there with no clothes. Is everybody OK? And you see these incredible looking women, and so I sort of get away with things like that.

  10. #60
    User
    Chappy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Last Seen
    04-07-15 @ 01:50 AM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    2,443
    Blog Entries
    26

    Re: Worst 20th Century President

    Quote Originally Posted by bicycleman View Post
    What sections of the Constitution did Reagan and Nixon violate?
    I'm no constitutional lawyer but I would suggest you examine Article I, Sections 7 and 8 to start with. I think Reagan's most brazen subversion of the Constitution of course was the expenditure of public funds outside of a Congressional appropriation for bankrolling his secret war in Latin America. But I would also suggest Reagan usurped the power to declare war, raise armies, among many other things.

    And, you can start with Nixon's subversion of the Fourth Amendment by his illegal surveillance of political opponents and use of I.R.S. audits against his perceived enemies. Really, there seems to be no end of material with regard to Nixon; the man's paranoia knew no bounds.
    Last edited by Chappy; 11-27-09 at 08:05 PM.
    Real environmentalists live in cities, and they visit what's left of the wilderness as gently and respectfully as possible. Donna Moulton, letter to the editor, Tucson Weekly, published on August 23, 2001

Page 6 of 31 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •