View Poll Results: Worst 20th Century President

Voters
158. You may not vote on this poll
  • Theodore Roosevelt

    3 1.90%
  • Woodrow Wilson

    12 7.59%
  • Herbert Hoover

    18 11.39%
  • Franklin Delano Roosevelt

    26 16.46%
  • Harry Truman

    1 0.63%
  • Lyndon Baines Johnson

    3 1.90%
  • Richard Nixon

    15 9.49%
  • James Earl Carter

    38 24.05%
  • William Jefferson Clinton

    6 3.80%
  • Other (Specify)

    36 22.78%
Page 11 of 31 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 304

Thread: Worst 20th Century President

  1. #101
    Guru
    repeter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    07-15-14 @ 12:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,445

    Re: Worst 20th Century President

    Quote Originally Posted by DrunkenAsparagus View Post
    The Fed also signifcantly raised interest rates. Thanks to Harding's hands off approach, the market mostly recovered by 1923, years before Europe
    Yes, since we weren't bombed, and we didn't fight trench warfare on our front yard...
    Veni. Vidi. Vici.
    -Gaius Julius Caesar
    The Only Thing to Fear is Fear Itself.
    -Franklin Delano Roosevelt

  2. #102
    Human 2.0
    Maximus Zeebra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Western Europe
    Last Seen
    09-07-17 @ 10:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,568

    joke Re: Worst 20th Century President

    Quote Originally Posted by firestorm View Post
    George W. Bush
    I think it was a theoretical possibility before year 2000 that Bush would become the next president.

    So its perfectly valid to vote for Bush also.
    Europe is illegally occupied by the US

  3. #103
    Traditionalist
    phattonez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    12-05-17 @ 03:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,072

    Re: Worst 20th Century President

    Quote Originally Posted by repeter View Post
    The fact that we were tied into the world economy means we went down along with it. Europe hurt us, since it's economy was devastated by WWI. We were pretty lucky to have our industry on the other side of the Atlantic, or we would have had a lot more damage done to our economy. Anyway, since we were tied into Europe's economy, when they started experiencing economic growth, around 1926 or so, we were well out of the recession.
    That doesn't explain why we got out of it so quickly, even without all of these drastic measures you say that we have to take.

    Who shall ascend the hill of the Lord? And who shall stand in his holy place? He who has clean hands and a pure heart, who does not lift up his soul to what is false, and does not swear deceitfully. Psalm 24
    "True law is right reason in agreement with nature . . . Whoever is disobedient is fleeing from himself and denying his human nature [and] will suffer the worst penalties . . ." - Cicero

  4. #104
    Devourer of Poor Children
    DrunkenAsparagus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    DC
    Last Seen
    01-20-16 @ 04:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,496

    Re: Worst 20th Century President

    Quote Originally Posted by repeter View Post
    Yes, since we weren't bombed, and we didn't fight trench warfare on our front yard...
    We still got out ofa massive recession fairly quickly
    "Doubleplusungood"

    George Orwell

  5. #105
    Devourer of Poor Children
    DrunkenAsparagus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    DC
    Last Seen
    01-20-16 @ 04:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,496

    Re: Worst 20th Century President

    Quote Originally Posted by Maximus Zeebra View Post
    I think it was a theoretical possibility before year 2000 that Bush would become the next president.

    So its perfectly valid to vote for Bush also.
    He wasn't President until January 21 2001. He was a candidate in 2000, still not President.
    "Doubleplusungood"

    George Orwell

  6. #106
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,045

    Re: Worst 20th Century President

    Quote Originally Posted by GySgt View Post
    I don't know about it being "pollitically correct" but I believe America, after 40 years of standing in front of the Soviet Union, deserves a bit of credit for forcing it into the situation that brought the Berlin Wall down. Denying Middle Eastern oil? Aiding Asian militaires? Aiding Afghani fighters? Beating the influential race in the Middle East? Denying them access in the South Americas? Embarrasing them over the Cuban Missle Crisis? Glamorizing has nothing to do with it.
    Forcing it into WHAT situation? None of those things you mentioned had any kind of real effect on the soviet economy anywhere near as much as their own system and 40 years worth of mismanagement did. The decades long international welfare they provided for dozens of countries ranging in everything from their own oil to food, vehicles and military support drained their economy and made it impossible for them to sustain themselves. That is what brought about the collapse of the soviets.

    The USSR became a massive bureaucracy that while to an extent highly effective during the first half of the 20th century became impossible to manage on long term. Not only because it was too large but because many of the bureaucrats and military elite in the Kremlin were more interest in siphoning money from the system than in socialism. If you want to argue that America didn't really make things easier for them, that is fine. But arguing that we brought down what was a clumsy and already bleeding giant is pure dishonesty.

    But groveling to the opinions of international feelings about how America is supposed to be denied any credit is politically correct, isn't it?
    Which international opinions? You mean those of anybody who understands the cold war beyond the established Reagan mythology held by anybody on the right? Well if you say so.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  7. #107
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:02 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,316
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Worst 20th Century President

    Quote Originally Posted by GySgt View Post
    BS. 40 years of denying the Soviets their party is exactly what saw them overburdened and at an end. Reagan was the icing. "Politicial correctness" has people seeking anything that will agree with international anti-American cheers these days.

    Tell you what....you take America out of the equation going back to 1945 and consider where the Soviet Union would be in 1989.
    You are right, 40 years of the cold war was a big part of why the Soviet Union collapsed. But there is a reason why it was them that collapsed and not us, and a big part of that reason is them. I have not denied, now will I that we played a large roll in it, but it is not some how political correctness to say that they had a big hand in their own demise.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  8. #108
    Rockin' In The Free World
    the makeout hobo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Last Seen
    04-24-14 @ 06:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    7,102

    Re: Worst 20th Century President

    Quote Originally Posted by phattonez View Post
    That doesn't explain why we got out of it so quickly, even without all of these drastic measures you say that we have to take.
    Because if I understand it correctly, the recession was mostly the result of transitioning from a war-based economy. That is something that the market can handle much easier than the catastrophic meltdown that was the Great Depression.
    The Makeout Hobo is real, and does indeed travel around the country in his van and make out with ladies... If you meet the Makeout Hobo, it is customary to greet him with a shot of whiskey and a high five (if you are a dude) or passionate makeouts (if you are a lady).

  9. #109
    Traditionalist
    phattonez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    12-05-17 @ 03:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,072

    Re: Worst 20th Century President

    Quote Originally Posted by the makeout hobo View Post
    Because if I understand it correctly, the recession was mostly the result of transitioning from a war-based economy. That is something that the market can handle much easier than the catastrophic meltdown that was the Great Depression.
    Why should that change anything? I thought that recessions were because of insufficient demand.

    Who shall ascend the hill of the Lord? And who shall stand in his holy place? He who has clean hands and a pure heart, who does not lift up his soul to what is false, and does not swear deceitfully. Psalm 24
    "True law is right reason in agreement with nature . . . Whoever is disobedient is fleeing from himself and denying his human nature [and] will suffer the worst penalties . . ." - Cicero

  10. #110
    Rockin' In The Free World
    the makeout hobo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Last Seen
    04-24-14 @ 06:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    7,102

    Re: Worst 20th Century President

    Quote Originally Posted by phattonez View Post
    Why should that change anything? I thought that recessions were because of insufficient demand.
    Recessions are based on lots of things, and each recession can be caused by different situations. Let's not try to oversimplify things here.
    The Makeout Hobo is real, and does indeed travel around the country in his van and make out with ladies... If you meet the Makeout Hobo, it is customary to greet him with a shot of whiskey and a high five (if you are a dude) or passionate makeouts (if you are a lady).

Page 11 of 31 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •