View Poll Results: Do you think a religeous revolution is coming in this country?

Voters
77. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    10 12.99%
  • No

    67 87.01%
Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12202122
Results 211 to 218 of 218

Thread: Do you think a religeous revolution is coming in this country?

  1. #211
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,760

    Re: Do you think a religeous revolution is coming in this country?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dav View Post
    And what I'm saying is that that's BS. Just because they haven't been successful in stopping the momentum of the pro-gay marriage movement or in criminalizing abortion doesn't mean that they aren't concerned with those issues. The fact is that gay marriage is a matter that is settled at the state level unless you pass a constitutional amendment, which should I remind you Bush tried to do; and the pro-life movement can only win if Roe v Wade is overturned, which the Supreme Court is not going to do in its current state, but that doesn't mean conservative presidents won't appoint conservative judges.
    The problem is, gay marriage isn't something that can be done on a state-by-state basis. We have a full faith system, if you get married in one state, you are married in *ALL* states no matter where you might move. This is true of heterosexual marriage, it also has to be true of homosexual marriage. It needs to be legal everywhere if it's legal anywhere and that's something that has to be sorted out by the Supreme Court. As it stands right now, a state where gay marriage is legal can marry gay partners and those partners have a damn good case if they move to any other state and their marriage isn't recognized.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  2. #212
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,019

    Re: Do you think a religeous revolution is coming in this country?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    The problem is, gay marriage isn't something that can be done on a state-by-state basis. We have a full faith system, if you get married in one state, you are married in *ALL* states no matter where you might move. This is true of heterosexual marriage, it also has to be true of homosexual marriage. It needs to be legal everywhere if it's legal anywhere and that's something that has to be sorted out by the Supreme Court. As it stands right now, a state where gay marriage is legal can marry gay partners and those partners have a damn good case if they move to any other state and their marriage isn't recognized.
    THANK YOU!

    It's a distraction tactic. If you say that gay marriage isn't really marriage but a matter that should be solved by the states you can prolong the discussion and never really deal with.

    The fact of the matter is that gay marriage shouldn't be debated as 'gay marriage' but as a matter of 'marriage' and whether it should be recognized by the federal government the same way straight marriage and interracial marriage are. States rights is Dixiecrat created and borrowed Republican bull**** used whenever people don't really want to discuss an issue because they know they'll lose.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  3. #213
    Androgyne
    Dr_Patrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Montana
    Last Seen
    12-16-15 @ 11:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,349
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Do you think a religeous revolution is coming in this country?

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    I have a flash for you my left wing friend.....Polls show that about 85% of this country believe in God............
    But of that 85% there are several different religions, branches, etc. with several different belief systems and ideologies. Each one of those more or less subscribes to an "I'm right. You're wrong." philosophy, which makes any sort of coherent unity impossible. There would have to be a lot more for there to be any sort of religious revolution.

  4. #214
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,760

    Re: Do you think a religeous revolution is coming in this country?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    It's a distraction tactic. If you say that gay marriage isn't really marriage but a matter that should be solved by the states you can prolong the discussion and never really deal with.
    The problem is, they don't want to deal with it, they want to pretend it doesn't exist and hope it goes away. But for the same reason we don't leave slavery to individual states to decide, we cannot leave gay marriage to the states either. The Constitution guarantees equal rights and equal protection under the law. That means blacks cannot be kept as slaves by whites. Women cannot be treated as second class citizens to men. It also means that gays cannot be given a separate standard to straights. Equal means equal.

    Equality is something these religious zealots just aren't comfortable with.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  5. #215
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Epic Mountain
    Last Seen
    12-28-09 @ 06:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,384

    Re: Do you think a religeous revolution is coming in this country?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    The problem is, gay marriage isn't something that can be done on a state-by-state basis. We have a full faith system, if you get married in one state, you are married in *ALL* states no matter where you might move. This is true of heterosexual marriage, it also has to be true of homosexual marriage. It needs to be legal everywhere if it's legal anywhere and that's something that has to be sorted out by the Supreme Court. As it stands right now, a state where gay marriage is legal can marry gay partners and those partners have a damn good case if they move to any other state and their marriage isn't recognized.
    And make Conceal Permits, no matter where they're issued, recognized in all 50 states too!!!!


  6. #216
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Do you think a religeous revolution is coming in this country?

    Quote Originally Posted by EpicDude86 View Post
    And make Conceal Permits, no matter where they're issued, recognized in all 50 states too!!!!

    Hell yeah it should. In fact, you shouldn't need the permit. Concealed and open carry should be assumed standard.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  7. #217
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:32 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    63,853

    Re: Do you think a religeous revolution is coming in this country?

    Quote Originally Posted by RyrineaHaruno View Post
    I am a paranormal investigator, I study things that are out of the norm, and I am not scared of things like ghost ectt. Because, I study them. I consider study things in order to get to know what your afraid of, and that way you can't be afraid of what you know about right. Like how, I am not scared of death. because I study it as a hobby.



    I agree, it is apart of the human condition, but you can learn about things to make you conferrable with your life.
    My point is, that we will never see 100% of the population overcome their fear of death. 95% of the worlds population believes in some form of spirituality, God or religion. This is unlikely to change soon, let alone get to the point that religion or belief in god ceases to exist.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  8. #218
    Sage
    Dav's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    04-16-16 @ 02:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,539

    Re: Do you think a religeous revolution is coming in this country?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    This is 6 minutes of research done half awake. You're starting to look silly. That 'movement' is still going strong through faith based initiatives and the claims of people trying to get elected president.
    I was referring to the progressivism of the 60s-70s. Now who's looking silly?


    How are you helping your argument that right-wing politicians do not actively try to promote social conservatism by providing examples of them doing just that?

    No. What is being argued is that if social conservatives really had a real dog in America's fight to move to the left, they would have used it already wouldn't they? But they haven't.
    What haven't they done? All they can do to reverse Roe v Wade is appoint conservative SC judges, which they have done. And have you forgotten about Bush's gay marriage amendment? Proposition 8, and its equivalent in some 35 other states?

    Social conservatism may be losing momentum, but that is not for the lack of effort of social conservatives, be them citizens or politicians.

    So they have nothing left to do but try to pass whatever is left on their agenda that a bare majority might agree on because they've lost or are losing ground on every real social issue. From education to marriage.
    The pro-life movement isn't losing ground; in fact, in recent years its even gained support.

    That doesn't even make sense. If the majority of conservatives are social conservatives then that would still leave cutting taxes and interventionism as part of their agenda.
    Okay, but I thought you meant that those things were part of the social conservative agenda specifically, which they're not.

    In response to tax cuts. Keep up.
    Which is what I was responding to. You make it seem as if most conservatives don't support tax cuts; you even said it again here:

    They want people to unite under 'causes' so that they can get these people to agree on cutting taxes and other matters which are of zero real relevance to the average American citizen
    What I said was it doesn't matter whether or not it's relevant to most people (and incidentally, IMO, it is), since that has nothing to do with whether or not most conservatives support it.



    Marriage matters
    my friend have always been solved through SCOTUS.
    This statement is so incorrect that it makes me question how much you even know about the SCOTUS. Constitutional issues have always been solved through the SCOTUS, and if marriage happens to be involved in a Constitutional issue, as with Loving v Virginia, then they deal with that too.

    This other silly bull**** of states solving matters which concern people across the entire country is (not surprisingly) a Dixiecrat tactic that originated in the 1950s and 60s to stop desegregation and was then picked up by Republicans like Nixons in the 70s.
    Have you even read the Bill of Rights? I suggest taking a look at the 10th Amendment.

    Of course they(social conservatives) aren't really concerned with it.
    About state rights? Probably not; see proposed pro-life/anti-gay marriage amendments. But I wasn't arguing that they were concerned with it; I was arguing that because, whether you like it or not, this is currently a state issue, it can currently only be solved on the state level.

    Otherwise they would have done something serious about really stopping gay marriage or abortion. But what have they done?
    They tried to pass an amendment on it; the fact that that amendment didn't pass doesn't change the fact that they tried. And they've prevented it from being legalized in all but 5 or 6 states. That'll probably change sometime soon, but they've done all they could have to slow the movement down.

    Protests and TV interviews and that is exactly what the elites within the Republican party want.
    Yes, it's all a conspiracy.


    Hasn't it crossed your mind that Republican politicians might be concerned with social issues as well as fiscal/economic/military issues?

Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12202122

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •