View Poll Results: Should College Students Bear the Full Cost of Their Own Education?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • No, the government is rich and can take the money from the taxpayer anyway.

    7 20.59%
  • No, they're too young and not ready for the rigors of personal responsibility.

    3 8.82%
  • No, they don't have any other options in life.

    1 2.94%
  • Yes, they're legal adults, treat them like adults.

    23 67.65%
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 106

Thread: Shouldn't Adults Getting a College Education Pay for it Themselves?

  1. #41
    Sage
    UtahBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    12-03-17 @ 01:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,687

    Re: Shouldn't Adults Getting a College Education Pay for it Themselves?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    I'm sorry, are we supposed to feel sympathy for people who were so foolish as to *START* a family while making minimum wage? There's this thing called personal responsibility, maybe you've heard of it, where people need to take responsibility for their actions and not do stupid things that are potentially life-ruining because you're not ready for them.
    Amen....

    We told our kids that we would pay for their college, and that if they found someone they wanted to marry before graduation, that is OK. BUT, no kids til they graduate and/or get a job with medical benefits....cuz we ain't paying for THAT...
    Oracle of Utah
    Truth rings hollow in empty heads.

  2. #42
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,858
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Shouldn't Adults Getting a College Education Pay for it Themselves?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    I'm sorry, are we supposed to feel sympathy for people who were so foolish as to *START* a family while making minimum wage? There's this thing called personal responsibility, maybe you've heard of it, where people need to take responsibility for their actions and not do stupid things that are potentially life-ruining because you're not ready for them.
    So are you saying that people that make minimum wage shouldn't start a family?
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  3. #43
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,787

    Re: Shouldn't Adults Getting a College Education Pay for it Themselves?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    So are you saying that people that make minimum wage shouldn't start a family?
    Yeah, pretty much. If you can't afford it, don't breed. Seems logical.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  4. #44
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Last Seen
    06-29-10 @ 11:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,801

    Re: Shouldn't Adults Getting a College Education Pay for it Themselves?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    So are you saying that people that make minimum wage shouldn't start a family?
    Condoms are only about $50 piece. No big deal unless you live in a state like Texas which teaches 'abstinence only' education in HS (and consequently, has the highest teen pregnancy rate in the US, along with the highest HS dropout rate).

  5. #45
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Last Seen
    06-29-10 @ 11:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,801

    Re: Shouldn't Adults Getting a College Education Pay for it Themselves?

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    If a person can't comprehend that a 4-year degree will give them more career options than working at McDonalds, then it's not the money that's the problem.
    What I meant is that, for a lot students it can be more affordable just to work full time right out of HS because of sky-high college admissions, than it would be to work full time at McDonald's.

  6. #46
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: Shouldn't Adults Getting a College Education Pay for it Themselves?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    I never said "free". But I do believe that the pathway to universities/colleges should be made easier. That doesn't have to mean free. Heck they could even keep the prices that they are charging now. In most cases it is the payments that make going prohibitive. Especially when you pay 500-1000 dollars in rent. Pay electric bill, phone bill etc etc. You might think that it's easy to get $7.5k but reality shows that this is not so for those that make minimum wage and try to provide for a family.
    And they're going to have to make every one of those other payments regardless of whether they attend college or not.

    Look at it this way: Even if the person only makes barely enough money to survive, they can take out the entire cost of their tuition in guaranteed federal loans. How is the up front cost preventing them from doing anything?

    I'm not even going to get into the children issue, because that doesn't change anything - they should be supporting them anyways. If they can't, then tough **** - you don't have the "right" to start making kids at 17, not work, and then expect someone else to pay for your kids and college. For those that are motivated, they can overcome this.

    Why not? You try to make it sound like all you need is motivation to attend college. There are many things that prevent even those that are motivated from getting a loan to attend college...or saving up money to do so.
    Like what? Again, they don't even need to save up - they can take it all out in loans.

    Free? How is it free?
    Your first 13 years of public education (K-12) is completely free, with the $110,000 price tag being picked up by the government. After that, it's heavily subsidized should you choose to attend a state school. I think that's plenty generous.

    Quote Originally Posted by Toothpicvic View Post
    Condoms are only about $50 piece. No big deal unless you live in a state like Texas which teaches 'abstinence only' education in HS (and consequently, has the highest teen pregnancy rate in the US, along with the highest HS dropout rate).
    And if you attend college, the condoms are free. More savings!

    Quote Originally Posted by Toothpicvic View Post
    What I meant is that, for a lot students it can be more affordable just to work full time right out of HS because of sky-high college admissions, than it would be to work full time at McDonald's.
    The fact that it might seem more affordable up front doesn't mean that it's not an absolutely idiotic decision.

    Again, if a kid is too stupid to compare average salaries for a HS grad and a college grad and realize that he might be better served by biting the bullet and taking out some loans and forgoing salary for a few years, then that kid should not be attending college anyways.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  7. #47
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,858
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Shouldn't Adults Getting a College Education Pay for it Themselves?

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    And they're going to have to make every one of those other payments regardless of whether they attend college or not.

    Look at it this way: Even if the person only makes barely enough money to survive, they can take out the entire cost of their tuition in guaranteed federal loans. How is the up front cost preventing them from doing anything?
    You need credit or someone to co-sign to get any loan. I've tried to apply for a loan 3 times in the past 4 years. I've been turned down every single time because I do not have the credit nor have a co-signer.

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    I'm not even going to get into the children issue, because that doesn't change anything - they should be supporting them anyways. If they can't, then tough **** - you don't have the "right" to start making kids at 17, not work, and then expect someone else to pay for your kids and college. For those that are motivated, they can overcome this.
    Who said anything about "not working" or having kids at 17? I'm 34 years old and would like to go to college. I've got 2 kids and a wife and we are barely making our bills. What do I do?

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    Like what? Again, they don't even need to save up - they can take it all out in loans.
    Again, not everyone is qualified for a loan.

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    Your first 13 years of public education (K-12) is completely free, with the $110,000 price tag being picked up by the government. After that, it's heavily subsidized should you choose to attend a state school. I think that's plenty generous.
    Do you seriously think that no citizen pays for public education? I pay a land tax that helps support our schools every 6 months.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  8. #48
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,858
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Shouldn't Adults Getting a College Education Pay for it Themselves?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    Yeah, pretty much. If you can't afford it, don't breed. Seems logical.
    Wow..what an ignorant statement.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  9. #49
    Irrelevant Pissant

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Last Seen
    03-13-14 @ 07:55 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,194

    Re: Shouldn't Adults Getting a College Education Pay for it Themselves?

    Wow..what an ignorant statement.
    How is it ignorant? You believe that people should have kids before they are ready to actually take care of them and provide for them?

  10. #50
    Student
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    01-16-10 @ 03:12 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    229

    Re: Shouldn't Adults Getting a College Education Pay for it Themselves?

    Quote Originally Posted by Korimyr the Rat View Post
    Another marvelously impartial poll.

    An educated workforce is essentially to the productivity of the nation. If government programs assist in the creation and maintenance of such a workforce, they are worthwhile. Adults whose college education would benefit the State should be subsidized if necessary, much as their secondary school education is subsidized. Of course, this benefits their families as well, and much as families have an obligation to support their young adults in secondary school, they should be expected to bear as large a portion of the cost of college as they are practically capable.

    The problem is that, much as we have assumed a secondary school education as a universal right, we are beginning to treat a college education as a right that students should enjoy regardless of their ability to complete and benefit from it. We need to return to the cultural assumption that young men and women should be expected to enter the workforce at the level of education or vocational training that they are suited to.
    Adults whose college education would benefit the State should be subsidized if necessary
    We are not trying to benefit the State. The state has no money to give. State money is my money and your money that it took from us. It is the money of the people.

    Now unless you are personally willing to financially undergird the education of strangers then it makes no sense for you to support the State paying for it. Unless, that is, you contribute little to the government due to poverty and just expect other wealthy people to undertake the financial burden of educating strangers.

    If there were a program outside of social essentials that tax money should go to, however, I think that it should be this one. It certainly is more beneficial to all of us than government run universal healthcare, etc...

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •