View Poll Results: Is this a good idea?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I will explain why

    5 26.32%
  • No, I will explain why

    12 63.16%
  • Other, I will explain why

    2 10.53%
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 67

Thread: Psychedelic Hotel idea

  1. #21
    Sage

    Donc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    out yonder
    Last Seen
    12-06-17 @ 09:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    9,426

    Re: Psychedelic Hotel idea

    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-qlORj0n2M"]YouTube- The Eagles - Hotel California (Original)[/ame]


    Some reason this song just popped into my head when I seen this thread..The part that says "When those voices say from far away" and "were prisoners here of out own devices."plus this one. "you can check out anytime you like but you can never leave".
    The haggardness of poverty is everywhere seen contrasted with the sleekness of wealth, the exhorted labor of some compensating for the idleness of others, wretched hovels by the side of stately colonnades, the rags of indigence blended with the ensigns of opulence; in a word, the most useless profusion in the midst of the most urgent wants.Jean-Baptiste Say

  2. #22
    Sage
    UtahBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    12-03-17 @ 01:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,687

    Re: Psychedelic Hotel idea

    Quote Originally Posted by EgoffTib View Post
    Maybe you should research this topic a bit more thoroughly...
    MAPS: Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies
    No thanks, I have been around long enough to know stupid when I see it, don't need to do any new research to prove what I already know....
    Oracle of Utah
    Truth rings hollow in empty heads.

  3. #23
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    Re: Psychedelic Hotel idea

    MAPS’ focus on altered states of consciousness also requires MAPS to deal with deep–seated cultural and individual ambivalence toward religious experiences, the exploration of the unconscious mind, fear of death and loss of control, and powerful emotional states.
    The above part of the linked information is exactly what I was getting at. The vast majority of people don't want to explore deep-seated cultural ambivalences or any of the other objectives/ intentions discussed. They are not psychologically capable of insight or self-exploration. I've known lots of drug-users in my lifetime. As a general rule, they don't want enlightenment- they want to escape from the realities of life. A couple of them OD'd and died from drug use. They were very unhappy individuals, and they were intelligent and creative people whom I loved dearly. I have no problem with people using drugs. If they want to kill themselves with drugs it's their business. If they just want to get high and escape reality, I have no problem with it. That being said, I have yet to meet a single person who became "enlightened" through the use of mind-altering drugs.
    Last edited by lizzie; 11-26-09 at 10:20 PM.

  4. #24
    Sage
    First Thought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    DFW, Texas
    Last Seen
    12-01-10 @ 03:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,218

    Re: Psychedelic Hotel idea

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    The above part of the linked information is exactly what I was getting at. The vast majority of people don't want to explore deep-seated cultural ambivalences or any of the other objectives/ intentions discussed. They are not psychologically capable of insight or self-exploration. I've known lots of drug-users in my lifetime. As a general rule, they don't want enlightenment- they want to escape from the realities of life. A couple of them OD'd and died from drug use. They were very unhappy individuals, and they were intelligent and creative people whom I loved dearly. I have no problem with people using drugs. If they want to kill themselves with drugs it's their business. If they just want to get high and escape reality, I have no problem with it. That being said, I have yet to meet a single person who became "enlightened" through the use of mind-altering drugs.
    It depends on what how you define "enlightened." In the Buddhist sense, I would say that they were not. Have some people changed their lives for better through psychedelic usage? Absolutely.
    "An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it." - Gandhi

  5. #25
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    Re: Psychedelic Hotel idea

    I guess it depends on your definition of "changed their lives for the better".
    Most of my drug-using friends are old burned-out hippies who just want to get through the day so they can get high. Not that there's anything wrong with that- it just hasn't improved their lives that I see or hear evidence of.

  6. #26
    Sage
    First Thought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    DFW, Texas
    Last Seen
    12-01-10 @ 03:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,218

    Re: Psychedelic Hotel idea

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    I guess it depends on your definition of "changed their lives for the better".
    Most of my drug-using friends are old burned-out hippies who just want to get through the day so they can get high. Not that there's anything wrong with that- it just hasn't improved their lives that I see or hear evidence of.
    Then I would wager that they merely had a sensory experience, rather than one on the symbolic, integral, or recollective-analytical levels.
    "An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it." - Gandhi

  7. #27
    Dungeon Master
    Veni, vidi, dormivi!

    spud_meister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Didjabringabeeralong
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    33,868
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Psychedelic Hotel idea

    it's a bad idea, people go to a hotel to get their fix, they go home, they want to go again but they dont have the money, so they find a dealer on the street.
    any form of legitemised drug use is a bad idea, drugs lead to messed up lives and mental illness, i know people who suffer schizophrenia and bi polar due to drug use.
    there are no positives, sure, you get high for a while, but then you come down and you want more and more and you end up looking like mick jagger.

  8. #28
    Stigmatized! End R Word! Kali's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Last Seen
    08-19-12 @ 12:29 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    13,334
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Psychedelic Hotel idea

    I love the idea and would wanna work there as a clerk or something. Only down side to it would be that your trip may be supressed by being holed up in a Hotel because what you are talking about is a controlled setting and that may inhibit one from fully enjoying the ride if ya know what I mean.
    ~Following My Own Flow~

  9. #29
    Sage
    First Thought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    DFW, Texas
    Last Seen
    12-01-10 @ 03:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,218

    Re: Psychedelic Hotel idea

    Quote Originally Posted by spud_meister View Post
    it's a bad idea, people go to a hotel to get their fix, they go home, they want to go again but they dont have the money, so they find a dealer on the street.
    any form of legitemised drug use is a bad idea, drugs lead to messed up lives and mental illness, i know people who suffer schizophrenia and bi polar due to drug use.
    there are no positives, sure, you get high for a while, but then you come down and you want more and more and you end up looking like mick jagger.
    Why don't you try using supported and cited facts in your argument next time?
    "An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it." - Gandhi

  10. #30
    Stigmatized! End R Word! Kali's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Last Seen
    08-19-12 @ 12:29 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    13,334
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Psychedelic Hotel idea

    Quote Originally Posted by Korimyr the Rat View Post
    They wouldn't ask the taxpayer to support them for the rest of their lives. They'd sue the hotel, saying it was responsible for them frying their brains. And the jury would probably award multimillion dollar damages because they're all stupid, worthless sheep who want to make sure that when they make their own failed bid to win the Darwin Award that other stupid, worthless sheep will be there to support them with someone else's money.

    God, at least the taxes are honest and spread out across the entire country. We can almost afford supporting useless people that way.
    That is what release forms are all about. You would have to sign a bunch of paperwork. Kinda like what you have to do if you wanna go skydiving or some such thing.
    ~Following My Own Flow~

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •