View Poll Results: Would a federated EU threaten the US?

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    5 20.83%
  • No

    15 62.50%
  • Other (explain)

    4 16.67%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22

Thread: The EU: A threat to the US?

  1. #1
    Sage
    kaya'08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    British Turk
    Last Seen
    05-12-14 @ 01:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    6,363

    The EU: A threat to the US?

    BBC News - EU and US: President roles compared

    Look at this EU/ US comparison.

    European Union:
    Population: 490 million
    GDP: $18.7tn

    United States:
    Population: 304 million
    GDP: $14.9tn

    If the EU really does have the intention of creating a federated European Republic, do you think the current developments which are carrying the EU into that direction actually threaten the US's position as a global superpower and world dominator?

    Could such a large power, with any future European military combination which will surely outweigh any American force, be a threat to the Americans, and signal major deteriorations in relations regarding Europe's increasing power and maybe some trade conflicts to add to the mixture? It is afterall, at America's door.

    Maybe this is the beginning of the end of US dominance in the West.

    I personally dont believe the EU will ever federate; you cant do such a thing against the will of the people by fooling Europeans with elitist tactics.
    But HYPOTHETICALLY SPEAKING, what's your views from a rational perspective?

    Would a federated Europe threaten America?
    Last edited by kaya'08; 11-20-09 at 05:29 AM.
    "If religious instruction were not allowed until the child had attained the age of reason, we would be living in quite a different world" - Christopher Hitchens
    > Good to be back, but I'm only visiting for a few weeks. <

  2. #2
    Sage
    PeteEU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Denmark
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,090

    Re: The EU: A threat to the US?

    A federated Europe is the pipe dream of radicals and is not gonna happen any time soon. There is a bigger chance of the US becoming a Christian Republic.

    As for the EU being a treat to the US.. of course it is, just as China, India and Brazil are. Anyone who meets the US on economic, political, militarily and technology wise is a "threat" to the US or will be seen as such by certain aspects of American life. For them competition is everything and they need to be nr. 1 at everything even if it means making stuff up. We have them in Europe too btw and they are just as nuts here.

    For some people it is a race of being biggest and best regardless, and in that way it is a "threat".

    But Europe will not replace the US as the "motor" of the world economy simply because Europeans dont spend like Americans and never will. So in that aspect, places like India and China are a far bigger threat since their spending power is relatively low and increasing fast. On top of that, I suspect American's will consume less than they did the last decade simply because of the economic realities.

    Militarily.. nope, since Europe does not spend any where near the US and I dont see us doing so in the near future. Again China and India are bigger threats.

    Politically.. well that is another matter. Due to our size, number of people and our economic muscle (GDP wise) then yes we are a "threat" to the US since the US is now the second biggest economy in the World after the EU. However again here we have to be realistic. The low value of the dollar has a bit of blame, and the economic crisis also has a large portion of the blame. The economic downturn in the US has been far far worse (relative speaking) than in the EU, and hence the overall GDP has fallen /not risen as much as the EU, hence expanding the difference.

    Plus the most important reason is the 200 million more people generating more GDP than in the US. If any comparison should be done then it should be per capita, and then the US would still be nr 1 when compared to the EU as a whole. However taking single European countries per capita then the US would not be nr. 1 again. So in the very small world of those who actually care about it, then yes Europe is a threat to the US position on international rankings.
    PeteEU

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Yop
    Last Seen
    06-27-16 @ 05:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    2,366

    Re: The EU: A threat to the US?

    Yes. Be afraid, be very afraid. The French are going to lash out on Americans

  4. #4
    Sage
    kaya'08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    British Turk
    Last Seen
    05-12-14 @ 01:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    6,363

    Re: The EU: A threat to the US?

    Quote Originally Posted by PeteEU View Post
    For them competition is everything and they need to be nr. 1 at everything even if it means making stuff up. We have them in Europe too btw and they are just as nuts here.

    For some people it is a race of being biggest and best regardless, and in that way it is a "threat".
    Thats not the way of Americans, it is the way of the Superpower. Anybody who could match them in economic or military might is a threat. Its national/political instinct.

    But Europe will not replace the US as the "motor" of the world economy simply because Europeans dont spend like Americans and never will. So in that aspect, places like India and China are a far bigger threat since their spending power is relatively low and increasing fast. On top of that, I suspect American's will consume less than they did the last decade simply because of the economic realities.
    Only the future can tell, i would never rule out a hypothetical Federal Europe in the future as a motor of the world, and neither should you. Its more than possible.

    Militarily.. nope, since Europe does not spend any where near the US and I dont see us doing so in the near future. Again China and India are bigger threats.
    Even with the combined force of the European forces?

    However taking single European countries per capita then the US would not be nr. 1 again. So in the very small world of those who actually care about it, then yes Europe is a threat to the US position on international rankings.
    If you say so, but regardless its a political reality that, unfortunately for some, must be addressed sooner or later.
    "If religious instruction were not allowed until the child had attained the age of reason, we would be living in quite a different world" - Christopher Hitchens
    > Good to be back, but I'm only visiting for a few weeks. <

  5. #5
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,053

    Re: The EU: A threat to the US?

    Quote Originally Posted by kaya'08 View Post
    Thats not the way of Americans, it is the way of the Superpower. Anybody who could match them in economic or military might is a threat. Its national/political instinct.
    That's not true. We'd blast Iran back to the 14th century B.C. on a military v. military fight. Economically they're not worth a cent of our economy. However have any discussion of a nuclear Iran and you'll find most Americans agree on one thing. If Iran does have them, they're a threat to U.S. interests and the West as a whole. It doesn't boil down to 'economy and military'. It's a little more complicated than that.
    Last edited by Hatuey; 11-20-09 at 07:00 AM.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  6. #6
    Sage
    Laila's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Last Seen
    04-28-17 @ 01:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    10,095

    Re: The EU: A threat to the US?

    EU a threat to US?


    Never.

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Yop
    Last Seen
    06-27-16 @ 05:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    2,366

    Re: The EU: A threat to the US?

    Quote Originally Posted by Laila View Post
    EU a threat to US?


    Never.
    What? I bet you have not yet heard of our new advanced weapons! We are now building many of them as we speak: the [ame="http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patator"]Patators[/ame]*



    *Using only non-GM potatos

  8. #8
    Sage
    kaya'08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    British Turk
    Last Seen
    05-12-14 @ 01:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    6,363

    Re: The EU: A threat to the US?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    That's not true. We'd blast Iran back to the 14th century B.C. on a military v. military fight. Economically they're not worth a cent of our economy. However have any discussion of a nuclear Iran and you'll find most Americans agree on one thing. If Iran does have them, they're a threat to U.S. interests and the West as a whole. It doesn't boil down to 'economy and military'. It's a little more complicated than that.
    How is it not true, you just proved my point. Nucleur weapons is related to the military in more ways than one. The US doesnt need another nucleur "competitor" on the world stage, and the problem is exagerated further by their [iran] savage government.
    "If religious instruction were not allowed until the child had attained the age of reason, we would be living in quite a different world" - Christopher Hitchens
    > Good to be back, but I'm only visiting for a few weeks. <

  9. #9
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,053

    Re: The EU: A threat to the US?

    Quote Originally Posted by kaya'08 View Post
    How is it not true, you just proved my point. Nucleur weapons is related to the military in more ways than one. The US doesnt need another nucleur "competitor" on the world stage, and the problem is exagerated further by their [iran] savage government.
    Not really. Read what you said 'anybody who could match us'. Iran doesn't have any military power to speak of. They have a single card and we don't even really know just what that card is or if they even really have it. However their intentions if they had said card are obvious. A military power has a navy, airforce and army. What does Iran have? China is a military power, The soviets were a military power, Germany was a military power. Iran is not a threat because they could invade or attack any country. They are a threat because of intention and what little we actually know about their capabilities.

    How many countries do trade nuclear technology with? Officially and unofficially? The Pakistanis, the Indians, the Saudis and that is just the ones that the average American citizen knows about. We probably do business with a lot more people but don't publicize it. Yet who wouldn't argue that all this very trade in technology would threaten the U.S. if the radical factions in just a single one of these countries took over? No. My assertion is right. It doesn't boil down to 'economic and military power' it boils down to a myriad of factors that are a lot more complex than the general issues you present them as.

    Iran's threat comes as a result of bluffing and religious extremism. Not because they could possibly match us militarily or economically. That's what China is for.
    Last edited by Hatuey; 11-20-09 at 07:21 AM.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Last Seen
    07-23-12 @ 03:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    6,763
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: The EU: A threat to the US?

    Yes, it's going to be the French Century...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •