Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 198

Thread: Would the rich miss 5%?

  1. #41
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: Would the rich miss 5%?

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    You never hear them complain about taxes on the middle class and the poor...but they sure do squawk when the rich are asked to pay.
    Eh. The rich do a better job on PR then the middle and poor do. I have a somewhat cynical view on taxation and its relation to wealth, largely because I view taxation as little more than paying to maintain the current system. As it stands now, certain groups of the rich pay their share of total liabilities in relation to total wealth as do the poor and middle class. Certain percentage bands do better then others, but on the whole most groups pay their proportion.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  2. #42
    Goddess of Bacon

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Last Seen
    05-28-12 @ 09:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,988

    Re: Would the rich miss 5%?

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    That's one way to spin it.

    So let me get it straight.....anytime you cut taxes for the wealthy you are simply taking less of their money...
    But anytime taxes are raised....you're stealing money from them.

    I gotta hand it to you for your creativity though.
    Yeah, if the taxes are raised on ANYONE, it's stealing more of their money. When they lower the taxes on ANYONE, it's stealing less of their money.

    How is that blatantly obvious fact even remotely 'creative'? It's just simple logic.

  3. #43
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,129

    Re: Would the rich miss 5%?

    Quote Originally Posted by rivrrat View Post
    Yeah, if the taxes are raised on ANYONE, it's stealing more of their money. When they lower the taxes on ANYONE, it's stealing less of their money.

    How is that blatantly obvious fact even remotely 'creative'? It's just simple logic.
    So nobody should pay any taxes because all taxes are stealing?

    You plan on living on the moon?
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  4. #44
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,129

    Re: Would the rich miss 5%?

    Taxes are the price that you pay for living in a great country.

    Everyone wants all the advantages but no one wants to pay for them.

    Guess what...the luxuries that we enjoy in this country as opposed to a third world country are not free.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  5. #45
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: Would the rich miss 5%?

    Quote Originally Posted by rivrrat View Post
    Yeah, if the taxes are raised on ANYONE, it's stealing more of their money. When they lower the taxes on ANYONE, it's stealing less of their money.

    How is that blatantly obvious fact even remotely 'creative'? It's just simple logic.
    Do you understand the concept of Hobbes's Social Contract?
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  6. #46
    Goddess of Bacon

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Last Seen
    05-28-12 @ 09:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,988

    Re: Would the rich miss 5%?

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    So nobody should pay any taxes because all taxes are stealing?

    You plan on living on the moon?
    Yes, taxes are stealing. We should only be paying an absolute minimum amount for bare necessity government (police, fire, national defense, legal system - that's pretty much it). That wouldn't take much. Anything else is too much.

  7. #47
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: Would the rich miss 5%?

    Quote Originally Posted by rivrrat View Post
    Yes, taxes are stealing. We should only be paying an absolute minimum amount for bare necessity government (police, fire, national defense, legal system - that's pretty much it). That wouldn't take much. Anything else is too much.
    Wait what?

    First you say that taxation is theft. But then you say that some taxes are okay and implicitly argue that they aren't theft.

    Care to examine your positions? Your mantra of taxation = theft is misguided and quite wrong.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  8. #48
    Goddess of Bacon

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Last Seen
    05-28-12 @ 09:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,988

    Re: Would the rich miss 5%?

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    Do you understand the concept of Hobbes's Social Contract?
    i.e., totalitarianism? Yes.

  9. #49
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: Would the rich miss 5%?

    Quote Originally Posted by rivrrat View Post
    i.e., totalitarianism? Yes.
    So you prefer the natural state of man? Anarchy? Where everything is decided by violence?

    I wasn't aware that every country was Totalitarian. After all, they all engage in the Social Contract, and since you consider that to be the same as totalitarianism, logically it concludes you believe all countries are Totalitarian. Care to support this notion?
    Last edited by obvious Child; 11-20-09 at 12:07 AM.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  10. #50
    Goddess of Bacon

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Last Seen
    05-28-12 @ 09:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,988

    Re: Would the rich miss 5%?

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    Wait what?

    First you say that taxation is theft. But then you say that some taxes are okay and implicitly argue that they aren't theft.

    Care to examine your positions? Your mantra of taxation = theft is misguided and quite wrong.
    It's still theft. But a very tiny amount of taxation is necessary to in order to have a government at all. Very tiny.

    However, I'm perfectly fine with sectioning off a part of the country and designate it as the anarchist area. Then give people the choice to pay a tiny amount of taxes to fund a fire, police and judicial system and live in the area where those operate, or to not pay those funds and live in the anarchist area where they don't operate. I have no issue with that at all. But unless we are willing to quarantine off such an area, a small amount of theft will be necessary to sustain a very small, functional government.

Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •