View Poll Results: Do you support single-payer health care?

Voters
109. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    50 45.87%
  • No

    53 48.62%
  • Maybe, if

    6 5.50%
Page 9 of 26 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 252

Thread: Do you support single-payer health care?

  1. #81
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    In the land of steers and queers
    Last Seen
    06-03-10 @ 12:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    1,563

    Re: Do you support single-payer health care?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goober
    The USAF was originally part of the army, and was reorganized into its own service in 1947. I have argued that it should be re-absorbed back into the army.
    Why don't you start a petition demanding that Congress put the Air Force back into the army. Be sure to include a threat to sue if they don't adopt your view of the Constitution. Keep us informed of your progress.

  2. #82
    I'm not-low all the time
    Kushinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Loop
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,263

    Re: Do you support single-payer health care?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    The power to raise and support armies, and the power to tax in order to raise rvenue to do so, necessitates that there be a certain amount of spendining on the common defense, should those armies be raised and revenues collected to that end.
    And you have just described a national defense. The US does not provide a national defense, instead we have a military industrial complex derived from the basis of Keynesian economics.
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.
    "Wealth of Nations," Book V, Chapter II, Part II, Article I, pg.911

  3. #83
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Do you support single-payer health care?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goldenboy219 View Post
    And you have just described a national defense. The US does not provide a national defense, instead we have a military industrial complex derived from the basis of Keynesian economics.
    This is a charaterization of the function I described, and nothng more.
    The function itself is clearly there.

  4. #84
    I'm not-low all the time
    Kushinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Loop
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,263

    Re: Do you support single-payer health care?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    This is a charaterization of the function I described, and nothng more.
    The function itself is clearly there.
    Nobody was attempting to throw the baby out with the bathwater. Nobody claimed the absence of the "function".

    I did make the claim that we use government intervention as a means of stimulating economic growth (taxation in this regard is most definitely a must!).
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.
    "Wealth of Nations," Book V, Chapter II, Part II, Article I, pg.911

  5. #85
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Do you support single-payer health care?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goldenboy219 View Post
    Nobody was attempting to throw the baby out with the bathwater. Nobody claimed the absence of the "function".
    So you agree that the constitution does allow the federal government to spend money in the private sector to raise and support armies as per its mandate to provide for the common defense -- something you describe as 'military Keynesianism".
    Thank you.

  6. #86
    I'm not-low all the time
    Kushinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Loop
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,263

    Re: Do you support single-payer health care?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    So you agree that the constitution does allow the federal government to spend money in the private sector to raise and support armies as per its mandate to provide for the common defense -- something you describe as 'military Keynesianism".
    Thank you.
    Of course the constitution allows this, although you have missed the point. To what end is this achieved? If we remove military R&D, the US in in the lower tier of world R&D/GDP ratio.

    The question remains: Why is government "crowding out" acceptable in some circles but not others?

    Because of common defense? Highly inconsistent if you ask me....
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.
    "Wealth of Nations," Book V, Chapter II, Part II, Article I, pg.911

  7. #87
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Do you support single-payer health care?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goldenboy219 View Post
    Of course the constitution allows this, although you have missed the point.
    No, I didn't miss anything.

    You said:
    Military Keynesianism was not mentioned in the constitution...
    It is, as you have agreed that said term is your characterization of a function that you agree -is- mentioned in the constitution.

  8. #88
    I'm not-low all the time
    Kushinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Loop
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,263

    Re: Do you support single-payer health care?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    No, I didn't miss anything.

    You said:

    It is, as you have agreed that said term is your characterization of a function that you agree -is- mentioned in the constitution.
    Not my characterization, only a simple analysis of reality. Simple national defense ceases to exist when used by government to manage the economy.

    Do you also bastardize the general welfare clause? Most likely not....
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.
    "Wealth of Nations," Book V, Chapter II, Part II, Article I, pg.911

  9. #89
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Do you support single-payer health care?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goldenboy219 View Post
    Not my characterization, only a simple analysis of reality. Simple national defense ceases to exist when used by government to manage the economy.
    However you want to describe your characterization, the fact is the function is there, stated in specific clauses relevant to same, a point to which you have agreed.

  10. #90
    I'm not-low all the time
    Kushinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Loop
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,263

    Re: Do you support single-payer health care?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    However you want to describe your characterization, the fact is the function is there, stated in specific clauses relevant to same, a point to which you have agreed.
    So if single payer government mandated health care resembles the general welfare clause, you would be in support?

    Nah.... I don't believe it for a second.
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.
    "Wealth of Nations," Book V, Chapter II, Part II, Article I, pg.911

Page 9 of 26 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •