View Poll Results: Do you support single-payer health care?

Voters
109. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    50 45.87%
  • No

    53 48.62%
  • Maybe, if

    6 5.50%
Page 23 of 26 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast
Results 221 to 230 of 252

Thread: Do you support single-payer health care?

  1. #221
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Last Seen
    07-23-12 @ 03:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    6,763
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Do you support single-payer health care?

    Quote Originally Posted by Baralis View Post
    Sorry to say I know what I am talking about. I have seen it first hand more then once.

    My long time girlfriend of 9 years has type 2 diabetes. She struggled with it for almost 15 years. She freqented the medical community and like you was told that she must constantly maintain her glucose with insulin injections. Finally being fed up with the routine she explored other avenues. After doing alot of research she heard from others that were insulin indepented and found that they could maintain glucose with diet alone. It took her many months of trial and error but she also achived an exceptable glucose level (around 130-150) with diet alone. It was not easy and probably not particulaly enjoyable. She was very limited on foods and had to eat very small and freqent meals.

    My father was diagnosed 3 years ago with diabetes. Again he was told he needed these things. I set out to help him avoid insulin because he was refusing to inject himself several times a day. We have been working on this for several months now and while we have not gotten it lowered consistanly below 150, this is mainly due to his wavering dedication and frequent straying. However most of the time he is under 200 even when he eats things he should not. I believe if he would stick to the things he should eat he could be sucessful just as my gf was.
    There are people that can do this, but not everyone. I have tried for the past 9 months and am unable to get below 150 consistently. The argument you are making is that diabetic supplies are luxuries and that is plain horse****.

  2. #222
    Professor
    Baralis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    MO
    Last Seen
    12-05-17 @ 03:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,394
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Do you support single-payer health care?

    Quote Originally Posted by reefedjib View Post
    There are people that can do this, but not everyone. I have tried for the past 9 months and am unable to get below 150 consistently. The argument you are making is that diabetic supplies are luxuries and that is plain horse****.
    Maybe I came off a little harsh. I was saying that once you break out of the cycle of believing that it cannot be done and rely on other things other then the medical community these things can become obsolete. Particuarly when a person first learns they have diabeties they need to closely monitor thier glucose to help them find what works for them. Its not the same for everyone. Take potatos, my gf could not eat potatos or they would send her levels up to high but my father can eat a small portion and not go over. I suspect everyones body reacts a little differently to things. But to believe it cannot be done is the wrong attitude. Hell, when has anyone here gone to the doctor and them not given a prescription for something? Its rare for them to simply say "youll be ok, go home". But then again they wouldnt be self serving then would they. I bet like my gf and father they never even mentioned that diabetics do succeed and being insulin independent. They never want to give you the idea that it is possible not to rely on them.
    Last edited by Baralis; 11-21-09 at 03:24 PM.

  3. #223
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Last Seen
    07-23-12 @ 03:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    6,763
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Do you support single-payer health care?

    Quote Originally Posted by Baralis View Post
    Maybe I came off a little harsh. I was saying that once you break out of the cycle of believing that it cannot be done and rely on other things other then the medical community these things can become obsolete. Particuarly when a person first learns they have diabeties they need to closely monitor thier glucose to help them find what works for them. Its not the same for everyone. Take potatos, my gf could not eat potatos or they would send her levels up to high but my father can eat a small portion and not go over. I suspect everyones body reacts a little differently to things. But to believe it cannot be done is the wrong attitude. Hell, when has anyone here gone to the doctor and them not given a prescription for something? Its rare for them to simply say "youll be ok, go home". But then again they wouldnt be self serving then would they. I bet like my gf and father they never even mentioned that diabetics do succeed and being insulin independent. They never want to give you the idea that it is possible not to rely on them.
    The ADA is hopelessly behind some of the things the diabetic community has learned to do. The flashpoint tends to be the low-carb diet. There are risks with this kind of diet, namely that microalbumin levels will increase and put your kidneys at risk. I prefer taking my insulin and not having such a restrictive diet. But it is no luxury.

  4. #224
    Anti-Hypocrite
    molten_dragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Southeast Michigan
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    9,351

    Re: Do you support single-payer health care?

    Quote Originally Posted by Baralis View Post
    Maybe I came off a little harsh. I was saying that once you break out of the cycle of believing that it cannot be done and rely on other things other then the medical community these things can become obsolete. Particuarly when a person first learns they have diabeties they need to closely monitor thier glucose to help them find what works for them. Its not the same for everyone. Take potatos, my gf could not eat potatos or they would send her levels up to high but my father can eat a small portion and not go over. I suspect everyones body reacts a little differently to things. But to believe it cannot be done is the wrong attitude. Hell, when has anyone here gone to the doctor and them not given a prescription for something? Its rare for them to simply say "youll be ok, go home". But then again they wouldnt be self serving then would they. I bet like my gf and father they never even mentioned that diabetics do succeed and being insulin independent. They never want to give you the idea that it is possible not to rely on them.
    My grandmother has dealt with Type 1 diabetes for over 40 years. She knows as well as any diabetic alive how to manage her diet and what she can/can't eat, and she still needs to check her blood sugar and occasionally take insulin. I know of at least twice that she would have died had she not noticed that her blood sugar was too high and gotten to the hospital in time to get it dealt with. It's no luxury. Sure, you could do without it, but that's going to bite you in the ass eventually.
    If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.

    If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

  5. #225
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    In the land of steers and queers
    Last Seen
    06-03-10 @ 12:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    1,563

    Re: Do you support single-payer health care?

    Quote Originally Posted by chevydriver1123 View Post
    Its not the governments job to provide me with health care.
    The government's job is whatever the people want it to be, bro.

  6. #226
    User Hypostrategos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Last Seen
    12-11-09 @ 07:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    31

    Re: Do you support single-payer health care?

    Quote Originally Posted by Whip Comes Down View Post
    The government's job is whatever the people want it to be, bro.
    Well, that person and I don't want that to be government's job. If we're not people... Which is clearly what our elected officials think. They think we're subhuman morons who can't handle our existence effectively enough so they have to do it for us. It reminds me of what the slaveholders of the south thought pre-civil war. They defended slavery by saying the slaves needed the slaveholder's to run their lives for them. Obama a slaveholder?

  7. #227
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Whitewater, CO
    Last Seen
    04-05-16 @ 06:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    8,260
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Do you support single-payer health care?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    Absolutely not.

    First, insulating the consumer from the cost of the goods/services he receives only raises those costs.

    Second, I have absolutely no responsibility to cover the health care costs of others.
    Your kind made those benefits unaffordable for most of the populace by while pocketing the difference.

    Since your kind created this mess they bear ABSOLUTE RESPONSIBILITY for fixing the damage caused by their own greed.
    Last edited by Vader; 11-24-09 at 08:59 AM.

  8. #228
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Whitewater, CO
    Last Seen
    04-05-16 @ 06:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    8,260
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Do you support single-payer health care?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goldenboy219 View Post
    I prefer: agenda serving
    It's the same thing.

  9. #229
    Anti-Hypocrite
    molten_dragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Southeast Michigan
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    9,351

    Re: Do you support single-payer health care?

    Quote Originally Posted by Whip Comes Down View Post
    The government's job is whatever the people want it to be, bro.
    Technically (and in theory) the government's job in a democracy is whatever the majority of people want it to be. It's a minor, but very important, difference.

    In practice, it's far, far more complicated, since it's often difficult to tell exactly what the people want, and even then politicians often do whatever they (or another third party) want instead, for a number of reasons too large to list.
    If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.

    If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

  10. #230
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Do you support single-payer health care?

    Quote Originally Posted by Vader View Post
    Your kind made those benefits unaffordable for most of the populace by while pocketing the difference.

    Since your kind created this mess they bear ABSOLUTE RESPONSIBILITY for fixing the damage caused by their own greed.
    Most people, when they have no idea what they are talking about, simply do not post.
    Glad to see you're still in the minoirity.

Page 23 of 26 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •