View Poll Results: Do you support single-payer health care?

Voters
109. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    50 45.87%
  • No

    53 48.62%
  • Maybe, if

    6 5.50%
Page 20 of 26 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast
Results 191 to 200 of 252

Thread: Do you support single-payer health care?

  1. #191
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    In the land of steers and queers
    Last Seen
    06-03-10 @ 12:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    1,563

    Re: Do you support single-payer health care?

    Show us where the Constitution says that it is acceptable, or unacceptable, for jurists to rule based on their bias.

  2. #192
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    In the land of steers and queers
    Last Seen
    06-03-10 @ 12:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    1,563

    Re: Do you support single-payer health care?

    Quote Originally Posted by reefedjib View Post
    Then why is case law in favor of my interpretation?
    Because it is the prevailing view.

  3. #193
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    In the land of steers and queers
    Last Seen
    06-03-10 @ 12:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    1,563

    Re: Do you support single-payer health care?

    Quote Originally Posted by reefedjib View Post
    Nonsense. Jurists interpret the law. They are human. They have bias. They have bias when interpreting the law.
    I agree, unless there are honest fair objective rules of interpretation, there is no way to eliminate bias. Joseph Story said so.

  4. #194
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Last Seen
    07-23-12 @ 03:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    6,763
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Do you support single-payer health care?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    The part you havent figured out is that a ruling from the SCotUS is an appeal to authority, and as such, does nothing to negate my argument.

    That is, if all you have to counter my argument is a SCotUS decision, then my argument stands.


    The nonsense is that you accept the idea that it is acceptable for jurists to rule based on their bias
    Well, I guess we have run out of comments to make about it. I don't think your argument stands. You have to get it in front of the SC to have a decision in your favor. That depends on having jurists of the strict constructionist bias.

  5. #195
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Do you support single-payer health care?

    Quote Originally Posted by reefedjib View Post
    Well, I guess we have run out of comments to make about it. I don't think your argument stands. You have to get it in front of the SC to have a decision in your favor. That depends on having jurists of the strict constructionist bias.
    And, again, this is not a counter to my argument, this is an appeal to authority.

  6. #196
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Last Seen
    07-23-12 @ 03:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    6,763
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Do you support single-payer health care?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    And, again, this is not a counter to my argument, this is an appeal to authority.
    Well, that's what you are going to need to do in the real world to make it a reality.

    I would like to thank you for a great debate on the topic. I've learned a lot.

  7. #197
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    09-22-10 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: Do you support single-payer health care?

    Quote Originally Posted by Whip Comes Down View Post
    Anti-Federalist Papers: Brutus #5

    ...the legislature under this constitution may pass any law which they may think proper


    In the 1st article, 8th section, it is declared, "that Congress shall have power to lay and collect taxes, duties, imposts and excises, to pay the debts, and provide for the common defence, and general welfare of the United States." In the preamble, the intent of the constitution, among other things, is declared to be to provide for the common defence, and promote the general welfare, and in this clause the power is in express words given to Congress "to provide for the common defence, and general welfare." -- And in the last paragraph of the same section there is an express authority to make all laws which shall be necessary and proper for carrying into execution this power. It is therefore evident, that the legislature under this constitution may pass any law which they may think proper.


    Is there some reason you people can't cite the entire clause?

    To make all Laws which shall be necessary and proper for carrying into Execution the foregoing Powers, and all other Powers vested by this Constitution in the Government of the United States, or in any Department or Officer thereof.

    That part you left out, you know, the final three quarters of the sentence, you don't think it means anything?

    Well, you're wrong.

    It means the Congress can only enact laws that allow it to execute the specifically enumerated powers.

  8. #198
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    09-22-10 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: Do you support single-payer health care?

    Quote Originally Posted by Whip Comes Down View Post
    It is as absurd to say, that the power of Congress is limited by these general expressions, "to provide for the common safety, and general welfare," as it would be to say, that it would be limited, had the constitution said they should have power to lay taxes, &c. at will and pleasure. Were this authority given, it might be said, that under it the legislature could not do injustice, or pursue any measures, but such as were calculated to promote the public good, and happiness. For every man, rulers as well as others, are bound by the immutable laws of God and reason, always to will what is right. It is certainly right and fit, that the governors of every people should provide for the common defence and general welfare; every government, therefore, in the world, even the greatest despot, is limited in the exercise of his power. But however just this reasoning may be, it would be found, in practice, a most pitiful restriction. The government would always say, their measures were designed and calculated to promote the public good; and there being no judge between them and the people, the rulers themselves must, and would always, judge for themselves.

    Anti-Federalist Papers: Brutus #6

    If congressional power is unlimited, explain the existence of Article 1, Section 8 and the Tenth Amendment.

  9. #199
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    09-22-10 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: Do you support single-payer health care?

    Quote Originally Posted by molten_dragon View Post
    Obviously, you don't know what explicit means either.
    If, by that statement, I don't know what you mean by "explicit", you're right.

    I use a dictionary.

    Quote Originally Posted by molten_dragon View Post
    It's pretty sad when the best argument you can come up with for your position is to argue punctuation marks.
    Yes. Every1 nos that spilling and punch you ation have absolutely no impact on whatever it is you wish the words you read say.

    Most of us even know that what you wish for isn't important, since what is important is the words as written.

    Quote Originally Posted by molten_dragon View Post
    I'm inventing nothing. I'm simply not blinding myself to what's there because it doesn't agree with my personal ideology.
    What's not there is the blank check you're insisting on.

  10. #200
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    09-22-10 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: Do you support single-payer health care?

    Quote Originally Posted by Whip Comes Down View Post
    Does the Constitution grant Congress authority to establish a bank?
    Nope.

    Guess what?

    That either was, or was not, the first time the Constitution was violated.

    What's yer point?

Page 20 of 26 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •