View Poll Results: Do you support single-payer health care?

Voters
109. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    50 45.87%
  • No

    53 48.62%
  • Maybe, if

    6 5.50%
Page 19 of 26 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast
Results 181 to 190 of 252

Thread: Do you support single-payer health care?

  1. #181
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Last Seen
    07-23-12 @ 03:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    6,763
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Do you support single-payer health care?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by reefedjib
    Furthermore, it is perfectly legitimate to say that an explicit list of powers was seen as undesired as evidenced by the removal of the phrase "expressly delegated" powers phrase from the AoC. Otherwise they would have restricted it as they were very careful to do this in other places.
    Again:

    If a contract gives you a list of powers/rights in a contract, and there is a statement in that contract that powers not listed are otherwise held, there's no way to argue that you have powers/rights not listed in the contract.
    Are you talking about the Necessary and Proper Clause?
    To make all laws which shall be necessary and proper for carrying into execution the foregoing powers, and all other powers vested by this Constitution in the government of the United States, or in any department or officer thereof.
    is this what you mean by "that powers not listed are otherwise held"? It doesn't read that way if you allow implicit powers.

  2. #182
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Do you support single-payer health care?

    Quote Originally Posted by reefedjib View Post
    Are you talking about the Necessary and Proper Clause......Is this what you mean by "that powers not listed are otherwise held"? It doesn't read that way if you allow implicit powers.
    Actually, no, I am talking about the listed powers of Congress (Artilce I Section 8) and the 10th amendment.

  3. #183
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Last Seen
    07-23-12 @ 03:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    6,763
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Do you support single-payer health care?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    When did I do that?
    That is what you will be depending on.


    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    ... which is fine so long as that interpretation is not based on their personal bias. The entire judicial system depends on the lack of bias in its jurists.
    some are biased as strict constructionists and some are biased as loose constructionists. They are biased and thinking there is no bias in judicial proceedings at the level of the SC if foolish. They depend on case law and they depend on judgement. Judgement is inherently biased.

  4. #184
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Last Seen
    07-23-12 @ 03:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    6,763
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Do you support single-payer health care?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    Actually, no, I am talking about the listed powers of Congress (Artilce I Section 8) and the 10th amendment.
    Ok. It will be said that the implicit power of the general welfare clause are delegated. It comes down to the SC.

    The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

  5. #185
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Do you support single-payer health care?

    Quote Originally Posted by reefedjib View Post
    That is what you will be depending on.
    I think you;re confused, as none of this makes any sense.
    Where did I cite the SCotUS to support my point?

    They are biased and thinking there is no bias in judicial proceedings at the level of the SC if foolish.
    None of this changes the fact that the very core of the judicial system is the presumption that its jurists do not act on bias. If you can ciote a case where the decision was based on the bias of the justices, then the decision is flawed.

  6. #186
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Do you support single-payer health care?

    Quote Originally Posted by reefedjib View Post
    Ok. It will be said that the implicit power of the general welfare clause are delegated.
    Um.... 'delegated' in the context of the 10th means 'expressedly given by the constitution'. This denotes a position of expressed, not implied powers, else, under the 'general welfare clause' argument, the 10th amendment has no meaning.

  7. #187
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Last Seen
    07-23-12 @ 03:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    6,763
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Do you support single-payer health care?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    I think you;re confused, as none of this makes any sense.
    Where did I cite the SCotUS to support my point?
    You didn't, but your point isn't true without their decision.


    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    None of this changes the fact that the very core of the judicial system is the presumption that its jurists do not act on bias. If you can ciote a case where the decision was based on the bias of the justices, then the decision is flawed.
    Nonsense. Jurists interpret the law. They are human. They have bias. They have bias when interpreting the law.

    What do you call the difference between strict and loose constructionism? I am calling it bias.

  8. #188
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Last Seen
    07-23-12 @ 03:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    6,763
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Do you support single-payer health care?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    Um.... 'delegated' in the context of the 10th means 'expressedly given by the constitution'. This denotes a position of expressed, not implied powers, else, under the 'general welfare clause' argument, the 10th amendment has no meaning.
    Then why is case law in favor of my interpretation?

  9. #189
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Do you support single-payer health care?

    Quote Originally Posted by reefedjib View Post
    You didn't, but your point isn't true without their decision.
    The part you havent figured out is that a ruling from the SCotUS is an appeal to authority, and as such, does nothing to negate my argument.

    That is, if all you have to counter my argument is a SCotUS decision, then my argument stands.

    Nonsense.
    The nonsense is that you accept the idea that it is acceptable for jurists to rule based on their bias

  10. #190
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Do you support single-payer health care?

    Quote Originally Posted by reefedjib View Post
    Then why is case law in favor of my interpretation?
    I have already addressed this, on several levels.

Page 19 of 26 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •