View Poll Results: Do you agree with me

Voters
46. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, because...

    19 41.30%
  • No, because...

    24 52.17%
  • Other (for those of you that need it)

    3 6.52%
Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 154

Thread: Do you agree w/ my position on mandated health care?

  1. #1
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Do you agree w/ my position on mandated health care?

    I disagree with any mandated health care position.

    If one does not want to have health care, they should be allowed to opt out. However, if they then get ill, under no circumstances should the government assist or subsidize their health expenses. They made a choice. They need to then take responsibility for that choice and manage their health care out of their own expenses.

    Also, doctors and hospitals should not be required to accept any "opt out" patients without ability to pay verification. IMO, this kind of thing will save the US more tax dollars than anything I've seen presented in health care reform.

    Do you agree with me?
    Why or why not?

  2. #2
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    Re: Do you agree w/ my position on mandated health care?

    I do tend to agree with exceptions.
    We should be able to buy catastrophic coverage that does not include rx or physician office visits because this should make it much more affordable for those who can't afford PPO and HMO coverage.
    I am also inclined to think true emergency treatment should be available without proof of ability to pay.

  3. #3
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Do you agree w/ my position on mandated health care?

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    We should be able to buy catastrophic coverage that does not include rx or physician office visits because this should make it much more affordable for those who can't afford PPO and HMO coverage.
    I am sure that there is some insurance company somewhere that does this, or something to the same effect.

  4. #4
    pirate lover
    liblady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    St Thomas, VI
    Last Seen
    03-14-16 @ 03:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    16,165
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Do you agree w/ my position on mandated health care?

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    I do tend to agree with exceptions.
    We should be able to buy catastrophic coverage that does not include rx or physician office visits because this should make it much more affordable for those who can't afford PPO and HMO coverage.
    I am also inclined to think true emergency treatment should be available without proof of ability to pay.
    if you have an opportunity to purchase insurance, and you don't, why should even true emergency care be available to you?

    that said, i like obama's current plan.

    Originally Posted by johnny_rebson:

    These are the same liberals who forgot how Iraq attacked us on 9/11.


  5. #5
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    Re: Do you agree w/ my position on mandated health care?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    I am sure that there is some insurance company somewhere that does this, or something to the same effect.
    Since HMO legislation was passed by Congress back in the 70's, it's impossible to find in my experience. It may be available somewhere in the US, but not in my state.

  6. #6
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    Re: Do you agree w/ my position on mandated health care?

    Quote Originally Posted by liblady View Post
    if you have an opportunity to purchase insurance, and you don't, why should even true emergency care be available to you?
    Because you may be a normally healthy active person who gets creamed by a drunk driver, shot by a murderous criminal, or otherwise suffer an injury due to circumstances beyond your own control.
    Last edited by lizzie; 11-16-09 at 03:45 PM.

  7. #7
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,793

    Re: Do you agree w/ my position on mandated health care?

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    Because you may be a normally healthy active person who gets creamed by a drunk driver, shot by a murderous criminal, or otherwise suffer an injury due to circumstances beyond your own control.
    It doesn't really matter if it's within your control or not. Getting sick isn't necessarily within your control. You can try to stay healthy but airborne disease doesn't really pay attention to who has insurance and who doesn't. The whole point of owning insurance is "just in case". Nobody is counting on getting into a car accident but you want to be covered in case you are.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  8. #8
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    Re: Do you agree w/ my position on mandated health care?

    If I choose not to buy insurance, then I have the choice not to seek treatment when and if I become sick from natural causes. If I get slammed in an accident, shot, or otherwise injured at the hands of another person's negligence or stupidity, I don't have a choice to not seek treatment. In cases of grave emergencies, people are taken to an ER, usually by emergency transport personnel. Even without insurance, my injuries will be treated. I think it's a great idea for people to voluntarily carry health insurance, but it is getting to be very expensive, and some people really can't afford it.

  9. #9
    Anti-Hypocrite
    molten_dragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Southeast Michigan
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    9,351

    Re: Do you agree w/ my position on mandated health care?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    I disagree with any mandated health care position.

    If one does not want to have health care, they should be allowed to opt out. However, if they then get ill, under no circumstances should the government assist or subsidize their health expenses. They made a choice. They need to then take responsibility for that choice and manage their health care out of their own expenses.

    Also, doctors and hospitals should not be required to accept any "opt out" patients without ability to pay verification. IMO, this kind of thing will save the US more tax dollars than anything I've seen presented in health care reform.

    Do you agree with me?
    Why or why not?
    I would support mandated health insurance if and only if the mandated insurance was very, very basic. As in, it covers medical treatment in cases of life-threatening emergencies and nothing else. That way, there's no question about withholding treatment for people who can't pay. I think this is a good idea, because if I get T-boned by a drunk driver, I don't want the responding EMTs to waste time looking for my insurance card before they start the CPR.

    I'm against mandating more expensive fleshed-out plans however.
    If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.

    If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

  10. #10
    Educator
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Last Seen
    11-15-15 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    802

    Re: Do you agree w/ my position on mandated health care?

    I see the current system as broken. By having free emergency care (which over half of is never paid for) it forces those that do pay for the service to cover not only their own expenses but also the expenses of the free loaders.

    I don't think you can create a system that effectively allows the hospitals to refuse treatment. One scenario for example would be someone who is stabbed and mugged, rushed to a hospital unconscious in need of life saving treatment. Since the hospital can't ID and therefore can't determine whether ability to pay exists or not they could end up refusing treatment to someone with insurance. Short of implanting RFID in everyone and maintaining a national database (hello big brother!) you're going to either have to treat people who don't have insurance, or refuse treatment to people who do have insurance.

    Which leaves a mandate as the only equitable viable option.

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •