View Poll Results: Do you agree with me

Voters
46. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, because...

    19 41.30%
  • No, because...

    24 52.17%
  • Other (for those of you that need it)

    3 6.52%
Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 154

Thread: Do you agree w/ my position on mandated health care?

  1. #131
    Anti-Hypocrite
    molten_dragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Southeast Michigan
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    9,351

    Re: Do you agree w/ my position on mandated health care?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    Simple. No longer force health care providers to provide their goods and servces regardlss of the patient's ability to pay.

    They may CHOOSE to do so, but they then assume the risk of doing so w/o compensation.
    It might work, but I just can't see it working large scale for 3 reasons.

    First off, most doctors are doctors because they care about people. I'm sure there are some that just do it for the money or prestige, but most of them truly want to make sick people better, and I can't see many doctors just standing by and leaving someone sick or injured or dying just because they don't have the money to pay.

    Secondly, hospitals aren't going to want to let people suffer because they can't pay either. It would get the hospitals lots of bad press, and they can avoid it by doing exactly what they do today, treat the people anyway and pass the costs on to the paying customers.

    And last, in truly life-threatening situations, there's not time (and often no feasible way) to find out if someone is capable of paying or not. And the consequences of letting someone die because you were trying to determine whether they could pay you for saving their life or not would be dire.

    I'll agree that it will probably reduce the amount of people who come to the emergency room for minor things (that they should have gone to a doctor for) and can't pay. But I think it's going to do very little to stop the people who have true emergencies and can't pay but get treated anyway.
    If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.

    If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

  2. #132
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    In your dreams...
    Last Seen
    05-29-12 @ 02:53 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,621

    Re: Do you agree w/ my position on mandated health care?

    I would say that i disagree because it is not in anyones best interest to go without health care. People should not have the right to go without health care just like they should not have the right to NOT wear a seat belt because it suits them not to.

  3. #133
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Do you agree w/ my position on mandated health care?

    Quote Originally Posted by molten_dragon View Post
    It might work, but I just can't see it working large scale for 3 reasons.
    No offense, but these three resosns were already addressed....

    First off, most doctors are doctors because they care about people. I'm sure there are some that just do it for the money or prestige, but most of them truly want to make sick people better, and I can't see many doctors just standing by and leaving someone sick or injured or dying just because they don't have the money to pay.
    As noted, these doctors are free to choose to treat these patients, knowing that they assume the risk of doing so w/o compensation.

    Secondly, hospitals aren't going to want to let people suffer because they can't pay either. It would get the hospitals lots of bad press, and they can avoid it by doing exactly what they do today, treat the people anyway and pass the costs on to the paying customers.
    As noted, these hospitals are free to choose to treat these patients, patients, knowing that they assume the risk of doing so w/o compensation.

    And last, in truly life-threatening situations, there's not time (and often no feasible way) to find out if someone is capable of paying or not. And the consequences of letting someone die because you were trying to determine whether they could pay you for saving their life or not would be dire.
    Again -- free to treat these patients, knowing that they assume the risk of doing so w/o compensation.
    Last edited by Goobieman; 11-24-09 at 03:52 PM.

  4. #134
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Do you agree w/ my position on mandated health care?

    Quote Originally Posted by SE102 View Post
    I would say that i disagree because it is not in anyones best interest to go without health care. People should not have the right to go without health care just like they should not have the right to NOT wear a seat belt because it suits them not to.
    Difference is that driving on the road is a privilege given to you by the state, not a right that you have becaue you are an American.

  5. #135
    Anti-Hypocrite
    molten_dragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Southeast Michigan
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    9,351

    Re: Do you agree w/ my position on mandated health care?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    No offense, but these three resosns were already addressed....


    As noted, these doctors are free to choose to treat these patients, knowing that they assume the risk of doing so w/o compensation.


    As noted, these hospitals are free to choose to treat these patients, patients, knowing that they assume the risk of doing so w/o compensation.


    Again -- free to treat these patients, knowing that they assume the risk of doing so w/o compensation.
    But if they do choose to assume the risk of doing so without compensation, which I suspect a majority of them will, they're just going to pass the increased cost back to the consumer, and you're still going to be paying for other people's health care. I don't really see how that fixes the problem.
    If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.

    If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

  6. #136
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Do you agree w/ my position on mandated health care?

    Quote Originally Posted by molten_dragon View Post
    But if they do choose to assume the risk of doing so without compensation, which I suspect a majority of them will, they're just going to pass the increased cost back to the consumer...
    Part of the 'choosing to assume the risk' is that you do NOT do that.
    If you dont get paid, you do not get paid -- that was your choice when you took on a patient you knew could not pay (or befor eyou determined his ability to do so).

  7. #137
    Anti-Hypocrite
    molten_dragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Southeast Michigan
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    9,351

    Re: Do you agree w/ my position on mandated health care?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    Part of the 'choosing to assume the risk' is that you do NOT do that.
    If you dont get paid, you do not get paid -- that was your choice when you took on a patient you knew could not pay (or befor eyou determined his ability to do so).
    Fair enough I suppose, but they won't do it by choice.

    Why refuse treatment to people and get the bad publicity (and dissension within the ranks of doctors) when you can just treat them anyway and charge the paying customers?

    Do you plan on somehow forcing them to behave in the way you want them to? If so, how do you plan to go about doing that?
    If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.

    If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

  8. #138
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Do you agree w/ my position on mandated health care?

    Quote Originally Posted by molten_dragon View Post
    Fair enough I suppose, but they won't do it by choice.
    Well, if they exercise their choice to not treat people in case they do not get paid, that's fine. If they decide to treat the patient and bill you for it, they are acting outside their rights, and violating yours.

    Why refuse treatment to people and get the bad publicity (and dissension within the ranks of doctors) when you can just treat them anyway and charge the paying customers?
    Seems pretty obvious to me -- those customers did not receive the goods/services they are being charged for.
    Why do you find it acceptable that they charge you for these things?

    Do you plan on somehow forcing them to behave in the way you want them to? If so, how do you plan to go about doing that?
    If necessary, yes, through whatever regulation is necessary. I'm sure I could come up with a way to do that, given time.

  9. #139
    Anti-Hypocrite
    molten_dragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Southeast Michigan
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    9,351

    Re: Do you agree w/ my position on mandated health care?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    Well, if they exercise their choice to not treat people in case they do not get paid, that's fine. If they decide to treat the patient and bill you for it, they are acting outside their rights, and violating yours.


    Seems pretty obvious to me -- those customers did not receive the goods/services they are being charged for.
    Why do you find it acceptable that they charge you for these things?


    If necessary, yes, through whatever regulation is necessary. I'm sure I could come up with a way to do that, given time.
    Isn't that a little bit hypocritical coming from a conservative? I thought your mantra was less government and let the market do what it will do?
    If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.

    If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

  10. #140
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Do you agree w/ my position on mandated health care?

    Quote Originally Posted by molten_dragon View Post
    Isn't that a little bit hypocritical coming from a conservative? I thought your mantra was less government and let the market do what it will do?
    Allowing providers (of anything) to charge people for products and services they do not receive violates free market principles.

    Why do you find it acceptable that your doctor charges you for these things?

Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •