View Poll Results: See OP

Voters
100. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, because...

    22 22.00%
  • No, because...

    64 64.00%
  • Other

    14 14.00%
Page 87 of 87 FirstFirst ... 3777858687
Results 861 to 870 of 870

Thread: Does life on other planets disprove the BIble

  1. #861
    Sage
    scourge99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    The Wild West
    Last Seen
    01-27-12 @ 02:50 AM
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    6,233

    Re: Does life on other planets disprove the BIble

    Quote Originally Posted by BmanMcfly View Post
    This does assume that the timeline of the bible is the sequence of the bible. In my reading, it seems quite difficult to determine dates...

    It's possible that the biblical stories are not in any real sequence chronologically, except where chronologies depend on the sequence.
    So in Genesis when it says "day one" through "day seven" then that isn't chronological, its arbitrary?

    When the lineage of people starting from noah is given that isn't chronological?

    There are more clues beyond lineages and explicit chronology. You seem to wish to dismiss any attempt out of hand.
    If you believe in the Supernatural then you can become a millionaire!

    Questioning or criticizing another's core beliefs is inadvertently perceived as offensive and rude.

  2. #862
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Epic Mountain
    Last Seen
    12-28-09 @ 06:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,384

    Re: Does life on other planets disprove the BIble

    Quote Originally Posted by scourge99 View Post
    So in Genesis when it says "day one" through "day seven" then that isn't chronological, its arbitrary?

    When the lineage of people starting from noah is given that isn't chronological?

    There are more clues beyond lineages and explicit chronology. You seem to wish to dismiss any attempt out of hand.
    It's always convenient to take the Bible in or out of context, especially ignoring differences in terminology and things that may have been lost in translation when trying to disprove parts of it. Not that I'm defending the 7-day theory or the chronology or family trees in the Bible, but you really ought to find something more concrete to swing at before you go charging around in your mystery machine looking to unmask a phantom.

  3. #863
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last Seen
    01-03-16 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,761

    Re: Does life on other planets disprove the BIble

    Quote Originally Posted by scourge99 View Post
    So in Genesis when it says "day one" through "day seven" then that isn't chronological, its arbitrary?
    No, I don't mean in a retarded sense... I mean in the sense that the story of Lot comes after the story of Noah, but not necessarily that the flood story happened first

    When the lineage of people starting from noah is given that isn't chronological?
    I'm saying that the bible is a composition of several 'books', and that the 'order' of these events may be somewhat scrambled over the last several thousand years.

    There are more clues beyond lineages and explicit chronology. You seem to wish to dismiss any attempt out of hand.
    I'm not 'dismissing' anything... I'm simply stating that except in cases where a certain biblical event MUST have preceded a different one, that the overal 'history' may have been somewhat scrambled... it's just an 'assumed' sequence...

  4. #864
    Sage
    scourge99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    The Wild West
    Last Seen
    01-27-12 @ 02:50 AM
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    6,233

    Re: Does life on other planets disprove the BIble

    Quote Originally Posted by EpicDude86 View Post
    It's always convenient to take the Bible in or out of context, especially ignoring differences in terminology and things that may have been lost in translation when trying to disprove parts of it.
    Then show where I did such. Merely presenting an accusation does not make it true.

    Quote Originally Posted by EpicDude86 View Post
    Not that I'm defending the 7-day theory or the chronology or family trees in the Bible, but you really ought to find something more concrete to swing at before you go charging around in your mystery machine looking to unmask a phantom.
    A claim or accusation presented without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.

    I am dismissing your accusation.
    If you believe in the Supernatural then you can become a millionaire!

    Questioning or criticizing another's core beliefs is inadvertently perceived as offensive and rude.

  5. #865
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Epic Mountain
    Last Seen
    12-28-09 @ 06:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,384

    Re: Does life on other planets disprove the BIble

    Quote Originally Posted by scourge99 View Post
    Then show where I did such. Merely presenting an accusation does not make it true.


    A claim or accusation presented without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.

    I am dismissing your accusation.
    The manner of your questions led me to believe you were pursuing some specific answer offensively. My bad.

  6. #866
    Student 75Greeno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    06-19-13 @ 12:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    266

    Re: Does life on other planets disprove the BIble

    god never said he never maid another planet inhabited











    ___________
    please click

  7. #867
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Epic Mountain
    Last Seen
    12-28-09 @ 06:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,384

    Re: Does life on other planets disprove the BIble

    Quote Originally Posted by 75Greeno View Post
    god never said he never maid another planet inhabited
    1. Capitalize 'God' if it's a proper noun, that IS His name after all.
    2. punctuation please?
    3. Maid? Try made
    4. "another planet inhabited" perhaps "another planet that sustains life" or even similar "another inhabited planet"


    Sorry I had to be the grammar Nazi but...

  8. #868
    Sage
    scourge99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    The Wild West
    Last Seen
    01-27-12 @ 02:50 AM
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    6,233

    Re: Does life on other planets disprove the BIble

    Quote Originally Posted by BmanMcfly View Post
    No, I don't mean in a retarded sense... I mean in the sense that the story of Lot comes after the story of Noah, but not necessarily that the flood story happened first
    I don't remember claiming anything about Lot coming before or after Noah.

    Strawman?


    Quote Originally Posted by BmanMcfly View Post
    I'm saying that the bible is a composition of several 'books', and that the 'order' of these events may be somewhat scrambled over the last several thousand years.
    well luckily we have people know as scholars, archeologists, and historians who figure these things out using VERFIABLE EVIDENCE.

    You should be agnostic towards the dates until presented with evidence otherwise. Instead you are rejecting claims out of hand. Being uninquisitive and dismissive. You appear to have an irrational bias, based on the reasoning you have presented thus far.

    Quote Originally Posted by BmanMcfly View Post
    I'm not 'dismissing' anything... I'm simply stating that except in cases where a certain biblical event MUST have preceded a different one, that the overal 'history' may have been somewhat scrambled... it's just an 'assumed' sequence...
    Are you sure about that? Have you looked into why people believe the sequence is as they say?
    No! You are being dismissive out of hand!
    If you believe in the Supernatural then you can become a millionaire!

    Questioning or criticizing another's core beliefs is inadvertently perceived as offensive and rude.

  9. #869
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last Seen
    01-03-16 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,761

    Re: Does life on other planets disprove the BIble

    Quote Originally Posted by scourge99 View Post
    I don't remember claiming anything about Lot coming before or after Noah.

    Strawman?
    I never had said anything about gensis before that... why are you so angry?


    well luckily we have people know as scholars, archeologists, and historians who figure these things out using VERFIABLE EVIDENCE.

    You should be agnostic towards the dates until presented with evidence otherwise. Instead you are rejecting claims out of hand. Being uninquisitive and dismissive. You appear to have an irrational bias, based on the reasoning you have presented thus far.
    Listen, I'm sorry my 'random thought' threatens your thesis or whatever called for this level of attacks.

    The dates are hardly specific... unless you litterally believe that Adam the individual lived to be 988 years old. It's not always clear reading the bible of whether the 'individuals' are defacto individuals, groups, clans, countries. Does that mean that I'm saying this is the case for EVERY story in the bible, no...

    I mean, even the line 'though shalt not kill' could mean 'any kind of killing is wrong' or 'though shalt not murder' meaning you are allowed to defend youself... How are you going to tell me that your opinion of that is fact?? how are you going to prove a flood that might very well have been some 11-12000 years ago...

    Are you sure about that? Have you looked into why people believe the sequence is as they say?
    No! You are being dismissive out of hand!
    No, I'm quite UNcertain of ANYTHING in the bible... however, just because I know the bible is representative of truth doesn't mean that every aspect of the books, or the progressions of the overall story/history.

    Not as much as I've looked into the reasons why other books had been 'left out' of the canon of text.

    I'm not being dismissive.... not anymore then you're being arrogant. I mean, the fact of the matter is there is almost more evidence AGAINST there being a 'Jesus Christ' then of him existing... that is where the 'faith' comes in, and where you must draw the true message out of it.

    Also, over the centuries, how many interpretations on interpretations of the bible have their been? You don't think in that time there COULD HAVE BEEN someone wanting to make a 'self-interested' change??
    That pages might seem to match up but are switched around... in that stretch of time, it's impossible to say unless you're able to read the original texts for yourself...

  10. #870
    Sage
    First Thought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    DFW, Texas
    Last Seen
    12-01-10 @ 03:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,218

    Re: Does life on other planets disprove the BIble

    Quote Originally Posted by 75Greeno View Post
    god never said he never maid another planet inhabited
    Source please.
    "An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it." - Gandhi

Page 87 of 87 FirstFirst ... 3777858687

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •