View Poll Results: See OP

Voters
100. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, because...

    22 22.00%
  • No, because...

    64 64.00%
  • Other

    14 14.00%
Page 85 of 87 FirstFirst ... 35758384858687 LastLast
Results 841 to 850 of 870

Thread: Does life on other planets disprove the BIble

  1. #841
    Borg Commander roderic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Thailand
    Last Seen
    04-18-12 @ 10:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    879

    Re: Does life on other planets disprove the BIble

    Ok, thanks for clarifyng, Ted, I did not know any of this.

  2. #842
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Is it or is it not your position? You've contradicted yourself.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lachean View Post
    Is this some kind of hypothetical straw-man?
    No. Its been argued here before. Heck, even in this topic, people have said they could disprove God.

    That is not inherently the atheist position, technically speaking a-theist means without belief. I for one do not believe in any god, for I am skeptical of all of the illogical claims made for EVERY man-made god.
    Perhaps it is not the position held by every atheist, but it IS an argument put forth by some.

    If a person went around claiming "there is no god" without provocation, the more appropo response would be, "What do you mean by that?
    You are certainly free to ask that. However, there is nothing wrong with asking ‘can you prove that?’

    However, if we are in a disagreement because you claim there is a god, and I am skeptical, the burden of proof is on you.
    And, as I have noted, there has been no claim of the existence of God.

    Not quite, you're equivocating again. When I say "I own everything in this room"...
    Actually, no – I am taking the word at face value; to argue that ‘everything’ doesn’t REALLY mean ‘everything’ is to equivocate.

    The use of "everything" requires context.
    And what about the subject issue necessitates that ‘everything’, in context’ means something other than ‘EVERYthing?
    We are, after all, talking about Creation, specifically, creation without God.

    If you've ever heard someone say "everything was created @ the big bang" they meant the atoms/dark matter that eventually formed the galaxies, they did not mean that the laws of physics are a creative force that determine the future of said universe.
    You do not know that – and, in fact, I find when this issue comes up, that those who say or agree with the idea that ‘everything was created by the laws of physics’ really DO mean ‘everything’, until they realize the implications of that statement – and then –they- equivocate.

    As far as a ‘creative force’ – as I said, the Sun, earth, moon, stars, etc – if they were not created by the laws of physics, then what?

    So who are you arguing against then? Who has accepted your straw-man as their position that EVERYTHING is "created" by the laws of physics?
    There is no specific example in this thread. As I said in the beginning, I was discussing MY experience with this particular subset of the subject, and that experience covers decades.

    I believe everything (matter and space-time) began @ the big bang, and behaves according to the laws of physics.... The thought I have are CREATED in my head though volition, without a god at the source of this universe or determinism setting the @ the big bang.
    OK... and so, given that the electro-chemical nature of the brain activity associated with thought and the actions derived from same are all governed by the laws of physics, what mechanism allows for the control of the process necessitated by ‘free will’?

    Something must allow you to control the process. The process is governed by the laws of physics. What allows you to control those laws to create the electro-chemical reaction you want?

    I understand determinism, I also understand it to be tripe. We are not mindless billiard balls. Man is a being of volitional consciousness.
    You DO agree that anything that was created independent of advent of ‘consciousness’ is an example of the billiard ball table, yes?

    As already asked, how does consciousness allow you to control the process?
    Hoe can you be sure that it even does allow control?

    I thought you regarded that argument as false, and not your own?
    I’m simply advocating the position for the sake of argument.

    You're confused again... There is choice, there is free will, man is a being of volitional consciousness
    How do you know?

    Chemistry is not just physics...
    Yes, it is. The interactions of atoms and molecules lumped under ‘chemistry’ are all determined by physics.

    I have control over my thoughts and body, I can prove it
    Actually, you cannot.
    You can only prove your perception of control, not that you actually have control.

    So this blatant misunderstanding of what the laws of physics do IS your position? You do not believe that we have free will? I see...
    I’m simply advocating the position for the sake of argument.

    "Everything" is NOT created by the laws of physics...
    It is, unless you are equivocating as to the meaning of the word.

  3. #843
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Does life on other planets disprove the BIble

    Quote Originally Posted by Lightdemon View Post
    I'm not the one who is delusional.
    Your actions and admitted positions speak far louder than your words.
    Last edited by Goobieman; 12-10-09 at 02:26 PM.

  4. #844
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Does life on other planets disprove the BIble

    Quote Originally Posted by Lightdemon View Post
    If the Bible doesn't fully explain God, what does?
    Nothing.

    The idea that any book ever written about anyone has ever FULLY accounted for EVERY action EVER taken by that person is utter nonsense; this is -especially- the case with an omnipresent, omnipotent God.

  5. #845
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Does life on other planets disprove the BIble

    Quote Originally Posted by Lightdemon View Post
    So you're saying there's a lot of stuff we don't know about God.
    How or why would anyone argue differently?

  6. #846
    Sage
    First Thought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    DFW, Texas
    Last Seen
    12-01-10 @ 03:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,218

    Re: Does life on other planets disprove the BIble

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    Keep deluding yourself - you have my pity.
    That's ironic...
    "An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it." - Gandhi

  7. #847
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:31 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    64,000

    Re: Does life on other planets disprove the BIble

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    Are you just trying to be argumentative. I call bull**** on you knowing many people that think the Bible is all there is. If you know people, I want to know their names...I'll contact them. Does anyone really believe an omnipotent, omniscient, omnipresent God can be written down in that little Bible?
    Ted Jones 555-746-8876
    Susie Parker 555-478-9872

    Check up on them and then get back to me.

    Let's review what is actually bull**** instead!

    Originally Posted by Goobieman
    And so how does that necessarily preclude there being life there?

    And... the idea that The Bible is an exhaustive, all-inclusive list of every action God ever took is, well, beyond ridicule. Not even the most whacked of the most whacked fundamentalists believe this.

    Originally Posted by Bodhisattva
    I have met many people that take the Bible as all-inclusive the as the literal word of god.

    I think that there is life out there... I guess I have no idea what your point is, since you keep on suggesting that I am implying that there is no life out there, when what I am saying is quite different.
    Where did I say that the Bible is, "all there is"? Obviously Goobie said it and I did not. What I said is obviously quite different. I am sure that you are simply gonna reinforce your error, but who knows? Perhaps you might seek clarification instead. Get back to me when you develop some maturity.
    Last edited by Bodhisattva; 12-10-09 at 04:15 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

  8. #848
    The Image b4 Transition
    Lightdemon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    beneath the surface
    Last Seen
    05-31-12 @ 02:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,829

    Re: Does life on other planets disprove the BIble

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    Your actions and admitted positions speak far louder than your words.
    It's not like my "admitted" positions mean much to you. You cherry picked my "admitted" positions. Like the position of me being agnostic, you don't acknowledge that, as if you had the ability to assign me my beliefs anyway You also did not acknowledge the second part of my argument. You're afraid of conceding that little point because you just can't concede anything. At all. Which is still hilarious to watch you do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by UtahBill View Post
    Let the public school provide the basics, you as the parent can do the fine tuning.

  9. #849
    The Image b4 Transition
    Lightdemon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    beneath the surface
    Last Seen
    05-31-12 @ 02:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,829

    Re: Does life on other planets disprove the BIble

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    How or why would anyone argue differently?
    If that's true, then it's kind of silly to argue about something you don't know about. How can you be sure of anything at all?
    Quote Originally Posted by UtahBill View Post
    Let the public school provide the basics, you as the parent can do the fine tuning.

  10. #850
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Does life on other planets disprove the BIble

    Quote Originally Posted by Lightdemon View Post
    It's not like my "admitted" positions mean much to you. You cherry picked my "admitted" positions. Like the position of me being agnostic, you don't acknowledge that, as if you had the ability to assign me my beliefs anyway You also did not acknowledge the second part of my argument. You're afraid of conceding that little point because you just can't concede anything. At all. Which is still hilarious to watch you do it.
    I see you delusions go much further than just your positions on God....

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •