View Poll Results: See OP

Voters
100. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, because...

    22 22.00%
  • No, because...

    64 64.00%
  • Other

    14 14.00%
Page 81 of 87 FirstFirst ... 31717980818283 ... LastLast
Results 801 to 810 of 870

Thread: Does life on other planets disprove the BIble

  1. #801
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Does life on other planets disprove the BIble

    Quote Originally Posted by Lightdemon View Post
    Yes, however the problem is when the adult does not recognize what he has been asking for is illogical, reverting back to a child's mental status.

    As the ocean said to the drop of water.

    We've already determined that:
    - you admit you cannot support your position that there is no God
    - you admit you are deluding yourself into thinknig that you have free wiil.

    What -does- it say about the mental status of someone who stands by a claim that he knows he cannot support, and has to delude himself to let get past something he knows is true?
    Last edited by Goobieman; 12-09-09 at 02:19 PM.

  2. #802
    The Image b4 Transition
    Lightdemon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    beneath the surface
    Last Seen
    05-31-12 @ 02:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,829

    Re: Does life on other planets disprove the BIble

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post

    As the ocean said to the drop of water.

    We've already determined that:
    - you admit you cannot support your position that there is no God
    - you admit you are deluding yourself into thinknig that you have free wiil.

    What -does- it say about the mental status of someone who stands by a claim that he knows he cannot support, and has to delude himself to let get past something he knows is true?

    Cherry picking? Why do you ignore the rest of my argument?

    I admit that the claim "God does not exist" cannot stand by itself, because gathering proof of nothing is not possible, and also because it relies on the claim that "God does exist." Why have you so conveniently forgotten the second part of the argument? Could it be, perhaps, if you've actually acknowledged that point, you'd have to admit that I was right all along? Meaning you have to concede a single point? That would be uncharacteristic of you, wouldn't it? Is winning really everything to you, because if it is, that's just more fun for me.


    And you still can't bring yourself to admit that free will doesn't matter. You just keep dodging and ignoring it all you like. But you and I both know the answer already.
    Quote Originally Posted by UtahBill View Post
    Let the public school provide the basics, you as the parent can do the fine tuning.

  3. #803
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Does life on other planets disprove the BIble

    Quote Originally Posted by Lightdemon View Post
    Cherry picking? Why do you ignore the rest of my argument?
    Nothing in the rest of your argument does anything to change what I said.

    You cannnot back up your position and you have to delude yourself to hang on to the idea that you have something you do not.

    You -agree- to both of these things.

    No more need be said.
    Last edited by Goobieman; 12-09-09 at 02:27 PM.

  4. #804
    Only Losers H8 Capitalism
    Spartacus FPV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    In your echo chamber
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    12,893

    I'm reading ALOT of Bull**** on this thread...

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    That you have taken an unsupportable position is -your- problem. Nothing in taking the position that there is no God in any way necessitates that anyone first even attempt to prove God.
    Of course there is, Chronologically.

    Everyone is an atheist in respect to gods they have never heard of, they do not believe in them because they can't. Having a lack of belief in a deity is not unsupportable, it isn't anything; nor is the refusal to accept an unproven claim. But in order for one to say "I do not believe in that god" someone else must have claimed that said god exists. Given that no logical or scientific argument for ANY god has or can be made, it is safe to conclude that all of these obviously man-made gods do not exist.

    The only claims that are unsupportable is "I know that there are not ANY gods in any sense" or "I know that there is." Why do YOU support the claim for your unproven god?

    If --everything-- is created by the laws of physics, then you create NOTHING, including decisions on what you're doing for dinner or any other 'choice' you think you made. ALL of this was pre-determined at the moment of the big bang.
    What are you talking about? Free will is what we call our experience of making choices, it is what we have defined it. How is a god necessary for free will? I've heard you repeat this before, but you've never explained your logic behind it...

    How was my choice in dinner tonight determined at the big bang? Determinism is utter tripe, that flies in the face of the studies of neurology and quantum physics. Conscious beings are not unprocessing input-output gene machines.

    Where did you get this tripe from? Do you or do you not accept that we have free will? If you do, how is not only A god, but YOUR GOD necessary for this purely physical and explainable neurological phenomena?
    Last edited by Spartacus FPV; 12-09-09 at 02:41 PM.
    Haymarket's "support" of the 2nd Amendment, a right he believes we never had.
    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    no. You cannot lose rights you do not have in the first place. There is no such thing as the right to have any weapon of your choice regardless of any other consideration. It simply does not exist.

  5. #805
    The Image b4 Transition
    Lightdemon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    beneath the surface
    Last Seen
    05-31-12 @ 02:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,829

    Re: Does life on other planets disprove the BIble

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    Nothing in the rest of your argument does anything to change what I said.
    Just won't concede it, will you?

    It's hilarious that you can't. I don't think you realize how entertaining this is for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by UtahBill View Post
    Let the public school provide the basics, you as the parent can do the fine tuning.

  6. #806
    Only Losers H8 Capitalism
    Spartacus FPV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    In your echo chamber
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    12,893

    Re: Does life on other planets disprove the BIble

    Quote Originally Posted by Lightdemon View Post
    I admit that the claim "God does not exist" cannot stand by itself
    If you're talking about a specific god, given the absence of evidence, fallacies in the proponent's logic and known history of the myth sure you can; as safely as one can state that Santa does not exist. But technically speaking, it is better to say "I do not believe in that god." Saying "god does not exist" presupposes that the god you're discussing, if there were a god, would be the god.

    When someone asks me if I "believe in god," before admitting my lack of belief in any god(s) I first pose the question, "To which god do you speak of?... No I don't."
    Haymarket's "support" of the 2nd Amendment, a right he believes we never had.
    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    no. You cannot lose rights you do not have in the first place. There is no such thing as the right to have any weapon of your choice regardless of any other consideration. It simply does not exist.

  7. #807
    The Image b4 Transition
    Lightdemon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    beneath the surface
    Last Seen
    05-31-12 @ 02:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,829

    Re: Does life on other planets disprove the BIble

    Quote Originally Posted by Lachean View Post
    If you're talking about a specific god, given the absence of evidence, fallacies in the proponent's logic and known history of the myth sure you can; as safely as one can state that Santa does not exist. But technically speaking, it is better to say "I do not believe in that god." Saying "god does not exist" presupposes that the god you're discussing, if there were a god, would be the god.
    Yes, but in this thread, I don't think there is any confusion about which god we're discussing.
    Quote Originally Posted by UtahBill View Post
    Let the public school provide the basics, you as the parent can do the fine tuning.

  8. #808
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Most of it is from you....

    Quote Originally Posted by Lachean View Post
    Of course there is, Chronologically.
    No, there isnt. "God does not exist" is a position that can be taken without regard to and independent from the position that "God does exist".

    What are you talking about? Free will is what we call our experience of making choices...
    The point is, that if you believe that -everything- is created by the laws of physics, you are then agreeing that there are no choices.

    Free will is actually deciding what you want to do, not deludung yourself into thinking that you have decided what you want to do.

    How is a god necessary for free will? I've heard you repeat this before, but you've never explained your logic behind it...
    I've never argued that God is necessary for free will.
    I've argued that if -everything- is/was created by the laws of physics, then everything that has/will happen is set in stone, and thus, there is no such things free will as ALL things have already been determined.

    How was my choice in dinner tonight determined at the big bang?
    Thru an incomprehesibly immense and complex interaction of mass and energy
    If -everything- is/was created by the laws of physics, it means you did not choose your dinner as for you to do so it means you created someting. You creating something is negated by the premise that -everything- was created by terh laws of physics.

    Determinism is utter tripe, that flies in the face of the studies of neurology and quantum physics.
    Both of these things are utterly and inexorably contrilled by the laws of physics, and as such, do nothing to negate the position.

    Where did you get this tripe from? Do you or do you not accept that we have free will? If you do, how is not only A god, but YOUR GOD necessary for this purely physical and explainable neurological phenomena?
    This has all been addresed.
    Last edited by Goobieman; 12-09-09 at 02:55 PM.

  9. #809
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Does life on other planets disprove the BIble

    Quote Originally Posted by Lightdemon View Post
    Just won't concede it, will you?
    To recap:

    You have admitted your position is unsupportable and that you have to delude yourself in order to get around the fact that you know you do not have free will.

    That is, you have agreed to BOTH of my points.

    And so, there's nothing for me TO concede.

  10. #810
    The Image b4 Transition
    Lightdemon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    beneath the surface
    Last Seen
    05-31-12 @ 02:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,829

    Re: Does life on other planets disprove the BIble

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    To recap:

    You have admitted your position is unsupportable and that you have to delude yourself in order to get around the fact that you know you do not have free will.

    That is, you have agreed to BOTH of my points.

    And so, there's nothing for me TO concede.
    First of all, I'm agnostic. I'm only arguing from the side of the atheist, because I find that your position is ridiculous and that it would be fun to have a conversation with someone with that position.

    Second of all, I've only assumed your premise that the laws of physics negates free will, just for the sake of argument (if you recall, that is; you don't seem to remember to well). I do not personally believe your premise.

    And lastly, I still find humor in your refusal to even acknowledge my entire argument. Your fear of conceding a single point from the opposition is hilarious. Absolutely entertaining.
    Quote Originally Posted by UtahBill View Post
    Let the public school provide the basics, you as the parent can do the fine tuning.

Page 81 of 87 FirstFirst ... 31717980818283 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •