View Poll Results: See OP

Voters
100. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, because...

    22 22.00%
  • No, because...

    64 64.00%
  • Other

    14 14.00%
Page 78 of 87 FirstFirst ... 28687677787980 ... LastLast
Results 771 to 780 of 870

Thread: Does life on other planets disprove the BIble

  1. #771
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Does life on other planets disprove the BIble

    Quote Originally Posted by formerroadie View Post
    Ok, I have rarely ventured into the polls threads. I have read two of Goobie's poll OP's and all I have to say is
    If you didn't have the testicular fortitude to actually answer the question, you should not have wasted space with your non-response.

  2. #772
    Sage
    scourge99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    The Wild West
    Last Seen
    01-27-12 @ 02:50 AM
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    6,233

    Re: Does life on other planets disprove the BIble

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    And? How does that diminish the validity of my statement?
    Because you are equiovocating with the word "proof". That is why. And I said so directly but you snipped it out when you responded. So here it is again:

    Quote Originally Posted by scourge99
    "Proofs" are only applicable to math, logic, and alcohol.

    Unless you are claiming a proof within one of those realms then "proof of absence" is non-sensical.

    You are either making a non-sensical statement (the statement's syntax is correct but is semantically invalid) or you are equivocating with the word "proof".
    If you believe in the Supernatural then you can become a millionaire!

    Questioning or criticizing another's core beliefs is inadvertently perceived as offensive and rude.

  3. #773
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Does life on other planets disprove the BIble

    Quote Originally Posted by scourge99 View Post
    Because you are equiovocating with the word "proof". That is why. And I said so directly but you snipped it out when you responded. So here it is again:
    Yes... and you said:
    Unless you are claiming a proof within one of those realms then "proof of absence" is non-sensical.
    How does my statement necessarily exclude these realms? Seems to me the use of the word was generic, and may be applied to whatever realm you might choose.
    Except, maybe, alcohol.

  4. #774
    Sage
    scourge99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    The Wild West
    Last Seen
    01-27-12 @ 02:50 AM
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    6,233

    Re: Does life on other planets disprove the BIble

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    Yes... and you said:

    How does my statement necessarily exclude these realms? Seems to me the use of the word was generic, and may be applied to whatever realm you might choose.
    Except, maybe, alcohol.
    Let's try it:

    Statement: "evidence of absence is not proof of absence."

    logic: logic does not have "evidence" in regards to proofs so it cannot apply to logic.
    Math: math does not have "evidence" in regards to proofs so it cannot apply to math.

    So what other "proof" could you be referring to if its not a logical proof or a mathmatical proof? Its because its an equivocation with the word "proof". By proof its not meant as a mathmatical proof or a logical proof but "proof" as in "reason and/or evidence to believe something as true".

    So what your statement actually says is "evidence of absence is not 'reason and/or evidence to believe' in absence".
    This is obviously false. And the example about the cat in the trunk explains why.

    What's got you hung up is the equivocation of "proof" with mathmatical and logical proofs. Once the ambiguity is removed the falsity of the pithy quote becomes obvious.

    Evidence of absence IS proof of absence. Its not "a proof" of absence because its not "a proof". "Proofs" are only valid in math, logic and alcohol.
    If you wanted to be accurate the proper saying would be "evidence of absence is not a guarantee absence."
    If you believe in the Supernatural then you can become a millionaire!

    Questioning or criticizing another's core beliefs is inadvertently perceived as offensive and rude.

  5. #775
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Does life on other planets disprove the BIble

    Quote Originally Posted by scourge99 View Post
    Let's try it:
    Statement: "evidence of absence is not proof of absence."
    logic: logic does not have "evidence" in regards to proofs so it cannot apply to logic.
    Math: math does not have "evidence" in regards to proofs so it cannot apply to math.

    Since you've decided to be so anal about it, I'll leave it to -you- to figure out what words need to be changed so that -you- will be satisfied that absence of proof is not proof of absence.

    But, the fact remains that absence of proof is NOT proof of absence.

  6. #776
    Sage
    scourge99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    The Wild West
    Last Seen
    01-27-12 @ 02:50 AM
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    6,233

    Re: Does life on other planets disprove the BIble

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post

    Since you've decided to be so anal about it, I'll leave it to -you- to figure out what words need to be changed so that -you- will be satisfied that absence of proof is not proof of absence.
    As I've already stated, explained, and demonstrated, evidence of absence is proof of absence.

    Calling me anal doesn't change that.

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    But, the fact remains that absence of proof is NOT proof of absence.
    Absence of evidence is proof of absence.

    E.G., you claim there is a cat in the trunk of your car. I search and find no cat in the trunk of your car then that is proof that there is probably not a cat in the trunk of your car. Its really that simple.
    With one simple example your saying is contradicted.
    If you believe in the Supernatural then you can become a millionaire!

    Questioning or criticizing another's core beliefs is inadvertently perceived as offensive and rude.

  7. #777
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Does life on other planets disprove the BIble

    Quote Originally Posted by scourge99 View Post
    As I've already stated, explained, and demonstrated, evidence of absence is proof of absence.
    No, It is not.
    And ever if it were, "evidence of absence is proof of absence" isn't issue at hand.

    E.G., you claim there is a cat in the trunk of your car. I search and find no cat in the trunk of your car then that is proof that there is probably not a cat in the trunk of your car.
    "There is probably not a cat" is not the same as "proof there is not a cat", and thus your supposed contradiction is proven false.
    It is really that simple.
    Last edited by Goobieman; 12-07-09 at 04:04 PM.

  8. #778
    Sage
    scourge99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    The Wild West
    Last Seen
    01-27-12 @ 02:50 AM
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    6,233

    Re: Does life on other planets disprove the BIble

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    No, It is not.
    Nothing you have posted illustrates this, as this cannot be illistrated.
    Statement: "evidence of absence is not proof of absence."

    logic: logic does not have "evidence" in regards to proofs so it cannot apply to logic.
    Math: math does not have "evidence" in regards to proofs so it cannot apply to math.

    So what other "proof" could you be referring to if its not a logical proof or a mathmatical proof? Its because its an equivocation with the word "proof". By proof its not meant as a mathmatical proof or a logical proof but "proof" as in "reason and/or evidence to believe something as true".

    So what your statement actually says is "evidence of absence is not 'reason and/or evidence to believe' in absence".
    This is obviously false. And the example about the cat in the trunk explains why.

    What's got you hung up is the equivocation of "proof" with mathmatical and logical proofs. Once the ambiguity is removed the falsity of the pithy quote becomes obvious.

    Evidence of absence IS proof of absence. Its not "a proof" of absence because its not "a proof". "Proofs" are only valid in math, logic and alcohol.
    If you wanted to be accurate the proper saying would be "evidence of absence is not a guarantee absence."

    "There is probably not a cat" is not the same as "proof there is not a cat", and thus your supposed contradiction is proven false.
    Is that "a proof" or is that "proof" that my contradiction is proven false? Do you know the difference?

    1) Explain how one would "prove there is not a cat".
    2) Explain how one could make a proof that there is no cat.
    If you believe in the Supernatural then you can become a millionaire!

    Questioning or criticizing another's core beliefs is inadvertently perceived as offensive and rude.

  9. #779
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Does life on other planets disprove the BIble

    Quote Originally Posted by scourge99 View Post
    Statement: "evidence of absence is not proof of absence."
    No...
    The statement is:


    Absence of proof is not proof of absence.


    That is:


    That something has not been proven to exist in no way necessitates that it does not exist.


    The statement is completely, unassailably sound.

  10. #780
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:32 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    63,853

    Re: Does life on other planets disprove the BIble

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    So, to answer my question... it doesn't.
    Life on other planets disproves the Bible, not God. That is all I care about. That is what this discussion is about.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

Page 78 of 87 FirstFirst ... 28687677787980 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •