View Poll Results: See OP

Voters
100. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, because...

    22 22.00%
  • No, because...

    64 64.00%
  • Other

    14 14.00%
Page 68 of 87 FirstFirst ... 1858666768697078 ... LastLast
Results 671 to 680 of 870

Thread: Does life on other planets disprove the BIble

  1. #671
    The Image b4 Transition
    Lightdemon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    beneath the surface
    Last Seen
    05-31-12 @ 02:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,829

    Re: Does life on other planets disprove the BIble

    Quote Originally Posted by presluc View Post
    My point is quite simple all things are possible including the Big Bang Theory or the existance of God.

    It only depends on one's beleifs nothing more.

    As far as the thought of impossibilities?

    As I have said before when mankind knows for sure that everything that is possible has been done and only impossible things remain.

    Then we might as well put evolution on hold there would be nothing left for us to evolve to.this is as good as it gets.

    I don't know about you but I can't accept that.
    You realize you contradict yourself, don't you?

    Quote Originally Posted by presluc View Post
    Well I have a question.

    If in fact logic plays a key role on anything possible then how come the Big Bang therory is considered possible?

    You started off saying that the Big Bang isn't possible, yet in the end you say everything is possible.

    Seriously...Do you even realize this?
    Quote Originally Posted by UtahBill View Post
    Let the public school provide the basics, you as the parent can do the fine tuning.

  2. #672
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Epic Mountain
    Last Seen
    12-28-09 @ 06:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,384

    Re: Does life on other planets disprove the BIble

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    God has a car. A Plymouth.
    I have it on very good authority that God drives a pea soup green 74 Duster.

  3. #673
    Sage
    presluc's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Michigan
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    9,932

    Cool Re: Does life on other planets disprove the BIble

    Quote Originally Posted by Lightdemon View Post
    You realize you contradict yourself, don't you?




    You started off saying that the Big Bang isn't possible, yet in the end you say everything is possible.

    Seriously...Do you even realize this?
    Not all people think the same I'm sure there's a few on this post that might beleive the existence of God is not possible.
    That is their beleif my beleif God does exist
    I do not beleive the bg bang theory happend without help
    I'm sure there are some on this thread that do
    That is their beleif not mine.
    Neither can be accuratly proven.
    Yet both are beleived by a lot of people.

    Which brings back to my point anything is possible.
    Tiki bar regular.
    My code, never take anything for granted always expect the unexpexted.
    Never take anything you don't need ,never want anything you can't have

  4. #674
    The Image b4 Transition
    Lightdemon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    beneath the surface
    Last Seen
    05-31-12 @ 02:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,829

    Re: Does life on other planets disprove the BIble

    Quote Originally Posted by presluc View Post
    Not all people think the same I'm sure there's a few on this post that might beleive the existence of God is not possible.
    That is their beleif my beleif God does exist
    I do not beleive the bg bang theory happend without help
    I'm sure there are some on this thread that do
    That is their beleif not mine.
    Neither can be accuratly proven.
    Yet both are beleived by a lot of people.

    Which brings back to my point anything is possible.
    Oh, I see. When you said the Big Bang wasn't possible, you meant it wasn't possible without help.

    I don't want to sound mean, but I find myself having a hard time trying to understand your posts because you keep going off on tangents instead of just clarifying your points.

    We could have avoided the whole matter and energy thing, if you just came out and said what you really meant...
    Quote Originally Posted by UtahBill View Post
    Let the public school provide the basics, you as the parent can do the fine tuning.

  5. #675
    Sage
    scourge99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    The Wild West
    Last Seen
    01-27-12 @ 02:50 AM
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    6,233

    Re: Does life on other planets disprove the BIble

    Quote Originally Posted by presluc View Post
    Systeme of reasoning "common sense"?
    You cherry picked two completely different sections of my post, rammed them together and you wonder why you are confused?

    Logic has multiple definitions. Wiki logic. Someone please enlighten Prelesuc, I can't do a thorough explanation on my phone.

    Are you telling me war , destruction attempted genocide muder over a differance of thought , this is logical.
    Jesus christ on a bicycle! It seems you are using the word "logical" to mean "is morally acceptable to me".
    That is, you are discussing morality, not formal logic.

    That in this world the whole human race is just a syteme of reasoning that is logical?

    That sounds a bit close to the old reteric by organized religion.
    "We know what is right we know what is wrong"
    Think like us talk like us walk like us and you will be right if not you are wrong.
    When we resolve your confusion over your use of the word "logic" and "logical" then I will address the rest of this post if you wish me to.
    If you believe in the Supernatural then you can become a millionaire!

    Questioning or criticizing another's core beliefs is inadvertently perceived as offensive and rude.

  6. #676
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Does life on other planets disprove the BIble

    Quote Originally Posted by Lightdemon View Post
    I think I getcha now, so let's try this again:

    If God can do anything, nothing is impossible. If nothing is impossible, then is there such a thing as the illogical?
    "The illogical" doesn't actually exist for the exact same reasons "the impossible" doesn't exist. "Impossible" and "illogical" are both adjectives.

    The only "things" that can have the quality of being illogical are arguments or reasoning. When we say someone is "illogical" we don't mean that the person has the quality of being illogical, we mean that they are a person who uses illogical arguments and reasoning.

    But even if nothing is truly universally impossible, it doesn't mean that it is regionally or subjectively impossible.


    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    Is there anything that is impossible to do?

    Loads of stuff can have the quality of being impossible under the right parameters. It depends on a bunch of things.

    For example, things like a yellow circle that is a blue triangle can't really exist. The key here is the word "Is" (not to get all Clintonesque on you)

    Such a thing cannot exist because it would actually be a third thing that has the qualities of both a yellow circle and a blue triangle. It would require a new name to describe it, because those descriptions have specific meanings for specific objects that do not have the qualities of the other. They are partially defined by the fact that they don't have the qualities of the other. That's why it could not be yellow circle that is a blue triangle.

    But an omnipotent being could create this third thing that has the qualities of both of those objects. It would be a new thing that possesses all of the qualities of those things without the contradictory nature of the definitions of those things. Essentially, the terminology used is inadequate to describe such a thing because it cannot accurately encompass it's nature. This is actually a limitation on language (which is not limitless), not on the omnipotent being.

    Whereas I could never do such a thing as create that third object. For me, it is definitely impossible on all levels. So there would still be actions that are impossible as well as things that could not exist based on semantics (think rock so heavy it could not be lifted. This is along the same lines. God could create something that had the qualities of those two things, but it would be a third thing heretofore unconceived of so the terminology used would not accurately describe it).




    I explained this poorly before when I used the yellow circle is a blue triangle example. The limitation is not really on the omnipotent being, it is the fact that the thing created could not be described as a yellow circle that is a blue triangle.

    So when I said that an omnipotent being couldn't do that, it was an error on my part because I never fully explained that I was trying to point out that such a thing cannot exist as described by our current language. It would necessitate a totally different verbiage.

    But there is no limitation that states that an omnipotent being cannot a thing that has all the qualities of a yellow circle and all the qualities of a blue triangle.

    Such a thing's creation would be possible, while the creation of a "yellow circle that is a blue triangle" is not possible because the language used in that sentence cannot possibly describe such a thing that would have the qualities mentioned above.

    Also, things could be impossible regionally or subjectively. It is currently impossible for me to fart with enough force to launch myself from downtown Chicago to the moon.

    So that is impossible under the current parameters. Now, if an omnipotent being decided to grant me that ability, it would easily be possible. It is also possible said entity, if it exists, could choose to grant me that ability. That's why I created the statement as I did. I defined the parameters so that the statement was definitely true.

  7. #677
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Does life on other planets disprove the BIble

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    God has a car. A Plymouth.
    God also has a bike. A schwinn.

  8. #678
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: Does life on other planets disprove the BIble

    Take me to your leader.
    Bout time some one said that

  9. #679
    The Image b4 Transition
    Lightdemon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    beneath the surface
    Last Seen
    05-31-12 @ 02:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,829

    Re: Does life on other planets disprove the BIble

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    "The illogical" doesn't actually exist for the exact same reasons "the impossible" doesn't exist. "Impossible" and "illogical" are both adjectives.

    The only "things" that can have the quality of being illogical are arguments or reasoning. When we say someone is "illogical" we don't mean that the person has the quality of being illogical, we mean that they are a person who uses illogical arguments and reasoning.

    But even if nothing is truly universally impossible, it doesn't mean that it is regionally or subjectively impossible.
    Okay, let's get back to omnipotence then.

    Given the definitions that we've worked on so far, God is able to do anything He wishes, except the illogical and impossible, only because they do not exist.

    The problem however is that we do not know what is possible and what is impossible. That means the term Omnipotence is quite meaningless. Even if we say God is omnipotent, we still do not know what that entails.

    And the ultimate answer is still: we cannot know.
    Quote Originally Posted by UtahBill View Post
    Let the public school provide the basics, you as the parent can do the fine tuning.

  10. #680
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Does life on other planets disprove the BIble

    Quote Originally Posted by EpicDude86 View Post
    I have it on very good authority that God drives a pea soup green 74 Duster.
    The Bible directly states that "He drove them out in His Fury".

Page 68 of 87 FirstFirst ... 1858666768697078 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •