View Poll Results: See OP

Voters
100. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, because...

    22 22.00%
  • No, because...

    64 64.00%
  • Other

    14 14.00%
Page 66 of 87 FirstFirst ... 1656646566676876 ... LastLast
Results 651 to 660 of 870

Thread: Does life on other planets disprove the BIble

  1. #651
    Sage
    scourge99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    The Wild West
    Last Seen
    01-27-12 @ 02:50 AM
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    6,233

    Re: Does life on other planets disprove the BIble

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    Most Big Bang theories posit that all of the matter and all of the energy currently found in the universe had condensed/was compressed into a single point.
    this is just plain wrong.
    Many theists don't understand that the big bang claims A LOT less than believed.

    What you are discussing is a singularity which is an additional theory on top of the big bang theory.
    If you believe in the Supernatural then you can become a millionaire!

    Questioning or criticizing another's core beliefs is inadvertently perceived as offensive and rude.

  2. #652
    Sage
    presluc's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Michigan
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    9,932

    Cool Re: Does life on other planets disprove the BIble

    Quote Originally Posted by scourge99 View Post
    1) You are using the term "logical" colloquially rather than in terms of referring to the system of formal logic.
    2) Killing another can be justified. It depends on the circumstances.
    3) How is this at all relevant to your previous claims?


    1) Logic, as in what is deemed morally permissable or impermissable or "common sense" changes. What is logical, as in what things conform or violate the system of formal logic has not changed.
    You need to understand the difference between logic as a system of reasoning with well defined rules, and logic as used colloquially to mean "common sense" or moral"
    Systeme of reasoning "common sense"?

    Are you telling me war , destruction attempted genocide muder over a differance of thought , this is logical.
    That in this world the whole human race is just a syteme of reasoning that is logical?

    That sounds a bit close to the old reteric by organized religion.
    "We know what is right we know what is wrong"
    Think like us talk like us walk like us and you will be right if not you are wrong.
    Tiki bar regular.
    My code, never take anything for granted always expect the unexpexted.
    Never take anything you don't need ,never want anything you can't have

  3. #653
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Does life on other planets disprove the BIble

    Quote Originally Posted by Lightdemon View Post
    Then when we say God cannot do the impossible, it is an illogical argument isn't it?
    It's nonsense because the word impossible is not a noun.

  4. #654
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Does life on other planets disprove the BIble

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    Your argument is based entirely on using adjectives as nouns. The contradiction exists because you used a word incorrectly. Not because of anything else. It is impossible real nouns to create a contradiction. You can't "create" an adjective, because, well... it's not a thing.

    Sigh.

    As I said, you're trying to dictate a limit to the limitless, but, necessarily, the limitless has no limits. Because the power is limitless, whatever you want to argue cannot be done, can.

    If you want to structure your position as 'He cannot do the impossible because if He can do it, it must be possible', then you argument that 'He can only do what is possible' is rhetorical, as anything is posisble for someone with unlimited power.
    Last edited by Goobieman; 11-25-09 at 04:50 PM.

  5. #655
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Does life on other planets disprove the BIble

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post

    Sigh.

    As I said, you're trying to dictate a limit to the limitless; this cannot be done, as the limitless has no limits. Because the power is limitless, whatever you want to argue cannot be done, can.
    But you do not have limitless power so you must use adjectives properly and not as nouns to make an argument.

    If you want to structure your position as 'He cannot do the impossible because if He can do it, it must be possible', then you argument that 'He can only do what is possible' is rhetorical, as anything is posisble for someone with unlimited power.
    I'm not going to structure my argument like that because to do so I would have to be ignorant of how words are used. "The impossible" is not a thing. It is not an action.

    My argument is "If a being exists that has unlimited power to do anything, there is nothing that is impossible"

    It's that simple.

    Anything is possible = nothing is impossible. These statements have identical meanings.

  6. #656
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Does life on other planets disprove the BIble

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    But you do not have limitless power so you must use adjectives properly and not as nouns to make an argument.
    We aren't talking about me.

    I'm not going to structure my argument like that because to do so I would have to be ignorant of how words are used. "The impossible" is not a thing. It is not an action.
    This is just silly. You're picking at inconsequential nits.

    My argument is "If a being exists that has unlimited power to do anything, there is nothing that is impossible"
    It's that simple.
    Works for me.
    Not at all sure why you're arguing that there is a limit to unlimited power.

  7. #657
    Sage
    scourge99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    The Wild West
    Last Seen
    01-27-12 @ 02:50 AM
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    6,233

    Re: Does life on other planets disprove the BIble

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    I don't need to know if it is true for it to actually be true. I can always tell when it can never be considered true, though.
    via logic. Which is the very thing in question.

    I don't define what a logically sound argument is, the trueness of the premises and the validity of the logic does.
    Please prove/validate why logic is true. If you use logic to do so then isn't that assuming that which you are trying to prove; a fallacy within logic.

    My understanding of the truth will not alter the soundness of the logic because the truth of the premises is independent of my understanding.
    How do you absolutely know this? Induction and deduction? Once again, trace the roots of these and explain why you are absolutely sure of their truth/validity.

    An argument that is logically sound is dependent on the whole of reality, not just our understanding of reality
    unless we are omniscient then we have an incomplete knowledge of the world. Thus our conclusions may be false due to a false inductions and deductions.

    If our understanding is flawed, the logical argument is unaffected.
    but logic is based on our understanding and perception otherwise how else would we know it? If we aren't omniscient then how can we claim our conclusions are absolutely correct in regards to reality. (Yes they may be correct in regards to logic but as explained logical truth does not necessitate truth in reality)
    If you believe in the Supernatural then you can become a millionaire!

    Questioning or criticizing another's core beliefs is inadvertently perceived as offensive and rude.

  8. #658
    Sage
    presluc's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Michigan
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    9,932

    Cool Re: Does life on other planets disprove the BIble

    Quote Originally Posted by Lightdemon View Post
    Where did I say it can easily be harnessed?

    Energy is actually an event, not a thing. Matter is a thing. Energy is the movement of matter.
    Let me put it this way energy surronds us everyday.

    Solid matter today must be made either by man or nature.
    They exist side by side,;

    For anything to explode there must be cause and effect.

    Sorry but energy conforming into a mass and then egniting into a big explosion.WELL?
    Tiki bar regular.
    My code, never take anything for granted always expect the unexpexted.
    Never take anything you don't need ,never want anything you can't have

  9. #659
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Does life on other planets disprove the BIble

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    We aren't talking about me.
    We are talking about the argument you created though.


    This is just silly. You're picking at inconsequential nits.
    No, it's pointing out a logical fallacy. Equivocation. Your argument is invalid because of that fallacy.

    Works for me.
    Not at all sure why you're arguing that there is a limit to unlimited power.
    I never said that there was a limit to unlimited power. I said that nobody can do that which is impossible, not even a being that has unlimited power , because if something can be done, there is no such thing as that which is impossible.


    I was arguing against the statement "An omnipotent being can do that which is impossible"

    That's because that statement is false.

  10. #660
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Epic Mountain
    Last Seen
    12-28-09 @ 06:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,384

    Re: Does life on other planets disprove the BIble

    Does life on our planet disprove alien equivalents of the Bible?

Page 66 of 87 FirstFirst ... 1656646566676876 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •