View Poll Results: See OP

Voters
100. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, because...

    22 22.00%
  • No, because...

    64 64.00%
  • Other

    14 14.00%
Page 51 of 87 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast
Results 501 to 510 of 870

Thread: Does life on other planets disprove the BIble

  1. #501
    Sage
    presluc's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Michigan
    Last Seen
    12-05-17 @ 04:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    9,923

    Cool Re: Does life on other planets disprove the BIble

    Quote Originally Posted by Lightdemon View Post
    What "unknown" are you talking about? What I've told you, in the last couple of posts, is well known among those with an educational background in psychology.



    We DO use 100% of our brains. It's working all the time. Whether you are controlling it or not.

    You're not understanding what I'm telling you. The brain's function is not limited to allow one to think. There is so many more things that the brain does that does not involve thinking. Most of the functions of the brain are automatic, instinctual, habitualized (or familiarized). That's why psychologists say that we only use 10% of our brains. BECAUSE we only need 10% of our brain to think, form ideas. The rest of the brain's function is not needed for thinking.

    Do you now understand the misinterpretation of the saying "People only use 10% of their brains"?
    It is my fear that mankind is falling into the same realm as past times when everybody was sure the earth was flat and the earth was the center of the universe.
    Today we are told that humans know precisly how the human brain works and why it works that way.

    To me that would be like making a map of the last Galaxy in the universe, although nobodys been there or knows what it looks like.

    "We do use 100% of are brains"?
    Now I have nothing against theorys but to make such a statement as fact WELL?
    Tiki bar regular.
    My code, never take anything for granted always expect the unexpexted.
    Never take anything you don't need ,never want anything you can't have

  2. #502
    The Image b4 Transition
    Lightdemon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    beneath the surface
    Last Seen
    05-31-12 @ 02:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,829

    Re: Does life on other planets disprove the BIble

    Quote Originally Posted by presluc View Post
    "We do use 100% of are brains"?
    Now I have nothing against theorys but to make such a statement as fact WELL?
    I hate to toot my own horn here, but my educational background is in psychology. Yes, it is a theory, as much a theory as Evolution.

    Every inch of your brain is being used right now, involuntarily and instinctually. But you do not control every inch of your brain, consciously. Hence the saying "People only use 10% of their brains", do you get it now? The misinterpretation? Please tell me you do because I don't know how to explain it simpler than that...
    Quote Originally Posted by UtahBill View Post
    Let the public school provide the basics, you as the parent can do the fine tuning.

  3. #503
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Does life on other planets disprove the BIble

    Quote Originally Posted by presluc View Post
    It is my fear that mankind is falling into the same realm as past times when everybody was sure the earth was flat and the earth was the center of the universe.
    Man, no one ever thought that.

    No one.

    The whole "earth is flat" nonsense comes from a relatively brief midevil period where the church used a Literalist interpretation of scripture on an illiterate public to maintain political power.

    The church itself didn't even believe their propaganda any more than Obama think the stimulus packages will actually help economy.

    We know that the ancients never thought this because, if nothing else, the Great Pyramid demonstrates their knowledge to the contrery with it's incorporation of global measurements in it's construction.

    There never was a time when everyone thought the earth was flat for us to slip back to.

  4. #504
    Sage
    presluc's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Michigan
    Last Seen
    12-05-17 @ 04:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    9,923

    Re: Does life on other planets disprove the BIble

    Quote Originally Posted by Lightdemon View Post
    I hate to toot my own horn here, but my educational background is in psychology. Yes, it is a theory, as much a theory as Evolution.

    Every inch of your brain is being used right now, involuntarily and instinctually. But you do not control every inch of your brain, consciously. Hence the saying "People only use 10% of their brains", do you get it now? The misinterpretation? Please tell me you do because I don't know how to explain it simpler than that...
    Well, as long as you say it's a theory I have no problem with that.

    However when you start making statements on how the brain works I have to question that.

    Thinking something does not make it fact.
    One needs no high educational background to know that.
    Tiki bar regular.
    My code, never take anything for granted always expect the unexpexted.
    Never take anything you don't need ,never want anything you can't have

  5. #505
    The Image b4 Transition
    Lightdemon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    beneath the surface
    Last Seen
    05-31-12 @ 02:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,829

    Re: Does life on other planets disprove the BIble

    Quote Originally Posted by presluc View Post
    Well, as long as you say it's a theory I have no problem with that.
    Your understanding of a theory is probably another misunderstanding. It is a theory because no evidence suggests that it's false, and therefore for all practical reasons, is considered no less than a fact.

    To use the label theory, is to label something a fact until evidence suggests otherwise.

    However when you start making statements on how the brain works I have to question that.

    Thinking something does not make it fact.
    One needs no high educational background to know that.
    And I stand by all of my statements because I know they are accurate. You don't seem to understand that you've been misinterpreting that god awful phrase.
    Quote Originally Posted by UtahBill View Post
    Let the public school provide the basics, you as the parent can do the fine tuning.

  6. #506
    Sage
    presluc's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Michigan
    Last Seen
    12-05-17 @ 04:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    9,923

    Re: Does life on other planets disprove the BIble

    Quote Originally Posted by Lightdemon View Post
    Your understanding of a theory is probably another misunderstanding. It is a theory because no evidence suggests that it's false, and therefore for all practical reasons, is considered no less than a fact.

    To use the label theory, is to label something a fact until evidence suggests otherwise.



    And I stand by all of my statements because I know they are accurate. You don't seem to understand that you've been misinterpreting that god awful phrase.
    No evidence suggest that a theory is false , and no evedince suggest that a theory is true either.
    In fact most theorys are just a little more than speculation.
    If this were not trure your so called theory would be fact would it not?
    Tiki bar regular.
    My code, never take anything for granted always expect the unexpexted.
    Never take anything you don't need ,never want anything you can't have

  7. #507
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Epic Mountain
    Last Seen
    12-28-09 @ 06:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,384

    Re: Does life on other planets disprove the BIble

    Quote Originally Posted by presluc View Post
    No evidence suggest that a theory is false
    Right, because then it would cease to be a theory

    Quote Originally Posted by presluc View Post
    and no evedince suggest that a theory is true either.
    Then how is it even a theory? Usually has to have some sort of basis, right?

    Quote Originally Posted by presluc View Post
    In fact most theorys are just a little more than speculation.
    If this were not trure your so called theory would be fact would it not?
    A speculation is a speculation, a theory is an unproven law?


    also, learn to spell-check. Get Firefox, it has built in spellchecker.

  8. #508
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Does life on other planets disprove the BIble

    Quote Originally Posted by EpicDude86 View Post
    also, learn to spell-check. Get Firefox, it has built in spellchecker.
    I use firefox for just that reason and I still manage to mess things up

  9. #509
    Sage
    presluc's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Michigan
    Last Seen
    12-05-17 @ 04:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    9,923

    Cool Re: Does life on other planets disprove the BIble

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Man, no one ever thought that.

    No one.

    The whole "earth is flat" nonsense comes from a relatively brief midevil period where the church used a Literalist interpretation of scripture on an illiterate public to maintain political power.

    The church itself didn't even believe their propaganda any more than Obama think the stimulus packages will actually help economy.

    We know that the ancients never thought this because, if nothing else, the Great Pyramid demonstrates their knowledge to the contrery with it's incorporation of global measurements in it's construction.

    There never was a time when everyone thought the earth was flat for us to slip back to.
    Sorry to overlook your post, sir.

    You say no one ever thought the earth was flat.

    You say it was just a brief midevil period for the church to maintain political power

    That would bring a couple of questions.
    1 Were you in the medevil period you speak of, or are you just guessing that's what happened?
    History has often been twisted through the years we do know that.
    It has been said that alchemist and church leaders did not agree
    2 In Medevil times the time you speak of more than one alchemist was considered as intellectuals were they not?
    Some of these thought the earth to be flat are you saying people disputed that.
    Much like I am doing to your theory, man.

    As far as the Obama reference is this now a partisan political debate thread?
    Tiki bar regular.
    My code, never take anything for granted always expect the unexpexted.
    Never take anything you don't need ,never want anything you can't have

  10. #510
    Sage
    presluc's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Michigan
    Last Seen
    12-05-17 @ 04:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    9,923

    Cool Re: Does life on other planets disprove the BIble

    Quote Originally Posted by EpicDude86 View Post
    Right, because then it would cease to be a theory



    Then how is it even a theory? Usually has to have some sort of basis, right?



    A speculation is a speculation, a theory is an unproven law?


    also, learn to spell-check. Get Firefox, it has built in spellchecker.
    Can not speculation be an unproven law just as easily as a theory?
    Tiki bar regular.
    My code, never take anything for granted always expect the unexpexted.
    Never take anything you don't need ,never want anything you can't have

Page 51 of 87 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •