View Poll Results: See OP

Voters
100. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, because...

    22 22.00%
  • No, because...

    64 64.00%
  • Other

    14 14.00%
Page 50 of 87 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260 ... LastLast
Results 491 to 500 of 870

Thread: Does life on other planets disprove the BIble

  1. #491
    Sage
    presluc's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Michigan
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    9,932

    Cool Re: Does life on other planets disprove the BIble

    Quote Originally Posted by Lightdemon View Post
    Well, technically it isn't that God cannot break his own rules, maybe he can, maybe he can't

    The thing to realize here is that if we're going to discuss God in a logical manner, and then posit that God can be illogical, it becomes an exercise in futility. God, therefore, must be a logical being if we are to seriously discuss about God. Otherwise there really is no point in discussing this. This, however, doesn't eliminate the possibility that God can break his own rules. It's just that no one should take this position seriously, if we are to do this in a logical manner.
    This may be a bit far fetched, but what we are baseing the ideas of logic and logiacal manner on is what capacity of our brain we use which by the way isn't all.

    No matter how high a human's I.Q. is he is not privy to all the brain's knowledge.
    Tiki bar regular.
    My code, never take anything for granted always expect the unexpexted.
    Never take anything you don't need ,never want anything you can't have

  2. #492
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Epic Mountain
    Last Seen
    12-28-09 @ 06:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,384

    Re: Does life on other planets disprove the BIble

    Quote Originally Posted by presluc View Post
    This may be a bit far fetched, but what we are baseing the ideas of logic and logiacal manner on is what capacity of our brain we use which by the way isn't all.

    No matter how high a human's I.Q. is he is not privy to all the brain's knowledge.
    yeah don't we use like 10% of our brain's processing ability?

  3. #493
    Sage
    presluc's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Michigan
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    9,932

    Cool Re: Does life on other planets disprove the BIble

    Quote Originally Posted by EpicDude86 View Post
    yeah don't we use like 10% of our brain's processing ability?
    That would be my guess.

    That's kinda like having a big computer with so many firewalls you can only get so much information.
    Tiki bar regular.
    My code, never take anything for granted always expect the unexpexted.
    Never take anything you don't need ,never want anything you can't have

  4. #494
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Epic Mountain
    Last Seen
    12-28-09 @ 06:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,384

    Re: Does life on other planets disprove the BIble

    Quote Originally Posted by presluc View Post
    That would be my guess.

    That's kinda like having a big computer with so many firewalls you can only get so much information.
    I always likened it to a bitchin' ass processor with a crappy 200mhz front side bus. Or perhaps we haven't installed the proper drivers...

  5. #495
    The Image b4 Transition
    Lightdemon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    beneath the surface
    Last Seen
    05-31-12 @ 02:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,829

    Re: Does life on other planets disprove the BIble

    Quote Originally Posted by presluc View Post
    This may be a bit far fetched, but what we are baseing the ideas of logic and logiacal manner on is what capacity of our brain we use which by the way isn't all.

    No matter how high a human's I.Q. is he is not privy to all the brain's knowledge.
    Quote Originally Posted by EpicDude86 View Post
    yeah don't we use like 10% of our brain's processing ability?

    The part about using only a percentage of one's brain is a highly misinterpreted idea. Just because only a part of your brain can be used consciously doesn't mean you use your brain less.

    For example, there are parts of your brain that govern your heart beat, your stomach, liver, etc. You don't consciously use that part of your brain to keep your body working (hence the 10%), but that doesn't mean you're intellectually dumber because of that. It also doesn't mean that if you can use 100% of you're smarter. It doesn't work that way.

    To address your earlier point: Logic isn't based on human intellect, but on the validity of the argument. Sometimes there might not be any valid argument, thus making you take leaps of faith from time to time. Whether you jump towards the direction of theism or atheism is up to you.
    Quote Originally Posted by UtahBill View Post
    Let the public school provide the basics, you as the parent can do the fine tuning.

  6. #496
    Sage
    presluc's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Michigan
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    9,932

    Re: Does life on other planets disprove the BIble

    Quote Originally Posted by EpicDude86 View Post
    I always likened it to a bitchin' ass processor with a crappy 200mhz front side bus. Or perhaps we haven't installed the proper drivers...
    I'll agree with that.
    Tiki bar regular.
    My code, never take anything for granted always expect the unexpexted.
    Never take anything you don't need ,never want anything you can't have

  7. #497
    Sage
    presluc's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Michigan
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    9,932

    Cool Re: Does life on other planets disprove the BIble

    Quote Originally Posted by Lightdemon View Post
    The part about using only a percentage of one's brain is a highly misinterpreted idea. Just because only a part of your brain can be used consciously doesn't mean you use your brain less.

    For example, there are parts of your brain that govern your heart beat, your stomach, liver, etc. You don't consciously use that part of your brain to keep your body working (hence the 10%), but that doesn't mean you're intellectually dumber because of that. It also doesn't mean that if you can use 100% of you're smarter. It doesn't work that way.

    To address your earlier point: Logic isn't based on human intellect, but on the validity of the argument. Sometimes there might not be any valid argument, thus making you take leaps of faith from time to time. Whether you jump towards the direction of theism or atheism is up to you.
    Well, first of all I think what you are refering to is involuntary response heart beat,liver ect..
    In short the brain funtions automaticly in these areas.

    As far as logic being based on human intellect that would depend on the human's I.Q. wouldn't it?

    Since no human usese all of the brain how can we as humans know if we would be dumber or smarter, we might even have more logic and as humans stop killing each other over something that might be illogical.
    Tiki bar regular.
    My code, never take anything for granted always expect the unexpexted.
    Never take anything you don't need ,never want anything you can't have

  8. #498
    The Image b4 Transition
    Lightdemon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    beneath the surface
    Last Seen
    05-31-12 @ 02:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,829

    Re: Does life on other planets disprove the BIble

    Quote Originally Posted by presluc View Post
    Since no human usese all of the brain how can we as humans know if we would be dumber or smarter, we might even have more logic and as humans stop killing each other over something that might be illogical.
    We do use all of their brain, 100% of it. We just don't use our brain consciously. We only consciously control about 10% of it.

    The misinterpreted idea that I was explaining to you earlier is that you're not supposed to consciously use your brain 100% of time. Think about it. If you were consciously controlling your brain, your liver, your sweat glands, your body temperature, etc etc etc, don't you think that would be A LOT to think about and control? You would have no time to think about other things. That is why you do not consciously control 90% of your brain.

    Also consider this, if you were able to control your heart beat, your liver, your sweat glands, etc etc, does that make you smarter? No. It just makes you work harder to keep your body in equilibrium, which will likely make you dumber because you have less time to form ideas and actually think.

    As far as logic being based on human intellect that would depend on the human's I.Q. wouldn't it?
    No, it wouldn't. As I said, logic is based on the validity of the argument. A person dumb as a door nail that says 1 + 1 = 2 is correct, it's also correct if a person with an IQ of 200 said the same thing. Logic isn't based on intellect.
    Last edited by Lightdemon; 11-22-09 at 02:44 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by UtahBill View Post
    Let the public school provide the basics, you as the parent can do the fine tuning.

  9. #499
    Sage
    presluc's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Michigan
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    9,932

    Cool Re: Does life on other planets disprove the BIble

    Quote Originally Posted by Lightdemon View Post
    We do use all of their brain, 100% of it. We just don't use our brain consciously. We only consciously control about 10% of it.

    The misinterpreted idea that I was explaining to you earlier is that you're not supposed to consciously use your brain 100% of time. Think about it. If you were consciously controlling your brain, your liver, your sweat glands, your body temperature, etc etc etc, don't you think that would be A LOT to think about and control? You would have no time to think about other things. That is why you do not consciously control 90% of your brain.

    Also consider this, if you were able to control your heart beat, your liver, your sweat glands, etc etc, does that make you smarter? No. It just makes you work harder to keep your body in equilibrium, which will likely make you dumber because you have less time to form ideas and actually think.



    No, it wouldn't. As I said, logic is based on the validity of the argument. A person dumb as a door nail that says 1 + 1 = 2 is correct, it's also correct if a person with an IQ of 200 said the same thing. Logic isn't based on intellect.
    Although your responce may be true and your argument may be valid.

    You are overlooking one thing the unknown factor.

    If we as humans could use a 100% of our brains copasity you don't know cause fact it's never been done.

    As far as the conscious relm if we were to use just a little more of the brain perhaps we would have more conscious again the unknown factor.

    If the human race has the arogance to actually beleive this is all there is to know, well one might as well put evolution on hold.
    Tiki bar regular.
    My code, never take anything for granted always expect the unexpexted.
    Never take anything you don't need ,never want anything you can't have

  10. #500
    The Image b4 Transition
    Lightdemon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    beneath the surface
    Last Seen
    05-31-12 @ 02:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,829

    Re: Does life on other planets disprove the BIble

    Quote Originally Posted by presluc View Post
    Although your responce may be true and your argument may be valid.

    You are overlooking one thing the unknown factor.
    What "unknown" are you talking about? What I've told you, in the last couple of posts, is well known among those with an educational background in psychology.

    If we as humans could use a 100% of our brains copasity you don't know cause fact it's never been done.
    We DO use 100% of our brains. It's working all the time. Whether you are controlling it or not.

    You're not understanding what I'm telling you. The brain's function is not limited to allow one to think. There is so many more things that the brain does that does not involve thinking. Most of the functions of the brain are automatic, instinctual, habitualized (or familiarized). That's why psychologists say that we only use 10% of our brains. BECAUSE we only need 10% of our brain to think, form ideas. The rest of the brain's function is not needed for thinking.

    Do you now understand the misinterpretation of the saying "People only use 10% of their brains"?
    Last edited by Lightdemon; 11-22-09 at 03:42 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by UtahBill View Post
    Let the public school provide the basics, you as the parent can do the fine tuning.

Page 50 of 87 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •