View Poll Results: See OP

Voters
100. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, because...

    22 22.00%
  • No, because...

    64 64.00%
  • Other

    14 14.00%
Page 42 of 87 FirstFirst ... 32404142434452 ... LastLast
Results 411 to 420 of 870

Thread: Does life on other planets disprove the BIble

  1. #411
    Sage
    scourge99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    The Wild West
    Last Seen
    01-27-12 @ 02:50 AM
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    6,233

    Re: Does life on other planets disprove the BIble

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    (shrug) I have no problem with believing that God could and did suspend the "law" of inertia (etc) to suit His purposes. If I assume an omnipotent God then there is no reason for me to believe that He is bound by so-called "laws of physics" which He created.
    Think of the most outrageous impossible thing. If your holy book said that God did such a thing then would you believe he did such? God is unfalsifiable to you.

    Do you possess "faith" or do you possess obedience to the Bible's authority?
    If you believe in the Supernatural then you can become a millionaire!

    Questioning or criticizing another's core beliefs is inadvertently perceived as offensive and rude.

  2. #412
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Does life on other planets disprove the BIble

    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Ferris View Post
    But this is in a book which is supposedly from the lips of an omnipotent, omnipresent, and omniscient being.
    Only in the minds of literalists, who make up a very small % of Christians.

    I am not of the school of thought who says the entire bible was dictated directly from God. Some portions, perhaps, but other portions are personal accounts, opinion, or matters of record. The 4 gospels, for example, are each their own witness to events. They were not dictated from God but perspectives of godly men.

    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Ferris View Post
    I don't need it to be technical, all I need is for it to be logically consistent, the only reason why it would assert that the sun stopped is because it is describing a geocentric universe in which the sun revolves around the earth rather than the earth revolving around the sun.
    To reiterate, again, it says the sun stopped because that's what it looked like.

    In Revelations it says the moon turns red. It's not the moon itself that turns red, but something in the sky that makes it appear to be red from our point of view: something like a volcano eruption.

    Christians as a group are not claiming that the sun revolves around the earth or that the sun then stopped for you to point to our book and object. It doesn't say what you claim in the first place for it to then be wrong.

    ***
    It's like you're a Creationist telling a Darwinist that humans couldn't have evolved from monkeys and apes. Well silly head Darwinists never ever claimed that humans evolved from monkeys and apes for you to then say they're wrong.

    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Ferris View Post
    But once again this is supposed to be the divinely inspired word of god.
    Did you understand the point I was making?

    ***
    Students of the seminary are taught actual contradictions of the bible. I hope one day I can meet someone who can set aside these silly mistranslations and quotes out-of-context and move on to real contradictions.
    Last edited by Jerry; 11-20-09 at 02:34 AM.

  3. #413
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Does life on other planets disprove the BIble

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    Why? Why can't God do the illogical?
    Knowing why doesn't change the fact that God can only do everything logically possible.

  4. #414
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Past the edge of the universe, through the singularity, and out the other side.
    Last Seen
    09-01-10 @ 05:23 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,324

    Re: Does life on other planets disprove the BIble

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Only in the minds of literalists, who make up a very small % of Christians.

    I am not of the school of thought who says the entire bible was dictated directly from God. Some portions, perhaps, but other portions are personal accounts, opinion, or matters of record. The 4 gospels, for example, are each their own witness to events. They were not dictated from God but perspectives of godly men.
    Actually evangelicals believe that the bible is the word of god spoken through the holy spirit to the authors and they account for 420 million which is nearly half of the worlds 1.6 billion Christians. Oh and they are the fastest growing Christian sect as well.

    To reiterate, again, it says the sun stopped because that's what it looked like.

    In Revelations it says the moon turns red. It's not the moon itself that turns red, but something in the sky that makes it appear to be red from our point of view: something like a volcano eruption.

    Christians as a group are not claiming that the sun revolves around the earth or that the sun then stopped for you to point to our book and object. It doesn't say what you claim in the first place for it to then be wrong.

    ***
    It's like you're a Creationist telling a Darwinist that humans couldn't have evolved from monkeys and apes. Well silly head Darwinists never ever claimed that humans evolved from monkeys and apes for you to then say they're wrong.



    Did you understand the point I was making?

    ***
    Students of the seminary are taught actual contradictions of the bible. I hope one day I can meet someone who can set aside these silly mistranslations and quotes out-of-context and move on to real contradictions.
    OK but if the bible is not to be taken literally then what is it? It's a work of fiction so why should anyone take it seriously?

  5. #415
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Does life on other planets disprove the BIble

    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Ferris View Post
    Actually evangelicals believe that the bible is the word of god spoken through the holy spirit to the authors and they account for 420 million which is nearly half of the worlds 1.6 billion Christians. Oh and they are the fastest growing Christian sect as well.
    I said "literalist".

    Evangelicals are another axis, hell there are even evangelicals in my mother's non-denominational non-literalist church.


    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Ferris View Post
    OK but if the bible is not to be taken literally then what is it? It's a work of fiction so why should anyone take it seriously?
    Literal-or-fictional are not the only options.

    The entire bible is not a homogeneous script it to be entirely literal or entirely allegorical.

    The bible is a collection of independent books written over hundreds of years, by varying authors of similar yet distinct world views and writing styles.

    The book of Job is mythical. The book of Exodus is literal. Each of the 4 gospels are subjective perceptions of the same events. The book of Revelation is highly symbolic and abstract. The book of Romans is a collection of letters from Peter to various churches. The book of Psalms is a collection of songs. The book of Proverbs is a collection of the wisdom of King David.

    When the bible is giving exact dimensions and specific materials to construct something, it is literal. When Jesus says "here's a parable..", that is not literal.

  6. #416
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Does life on other planets disprove the BIble

    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Ferris View Post
    they account for 420 million which is nearly half of the worlds 1.6 billion Christians.


    420,000,000/1,600,000,000 = .2625 or 26.25 %


  7. #417
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Does life on other planets disprove the BIble

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post


    420,000,000/1,600,000,000 = .2625 or 26.25 %

    See that's what happens when you copy-paste from other sites

    He's proly using Evilbible.com or something.

  8. #418
    Sage
    First Thought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    DFW, Texas
    Last Seen
    12-01-10 @ 03:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,218

    Re: Does life on other planets disprove the BIble

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Knowing why doesn't change the fact that God can only do everything logically possible.
    How do you attempt to support this claim?
    "An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it." - Gandhi

  9. #419
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Does life on other planets disprove the BIble

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Knowing why doesn't change the fact that God can only do everything logically possible.
    If God is omnipotent, then He can defy logic.

    Thats why the "can he create a rock so large He cannot lift" test fails.

  10. #420
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Epic Mountain
    Last Seen
    12-28-09 @ 06:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,384

    Re: Does life on other planets disprove the BIble

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    If God is omnipotent, then He can defy logic.

    Thats why the "can he create a rock so large He cannot lift" test fails.
    He can defy human logic, but what kind of logic do you think Gods go by??

Page 42 of 87 FirstFirst ... 32404142434452 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •