View Poll Results: See OP

Voters
100. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, because...

    22 22.00%
  • No, because...

    64 64.00%
  • Other

    14 14.00%
Page 40 of 87 FirstFirst ... 30383940414250 ... LastLast
Results 391 to 400 of 870

Thread: Does life on other planets disprove the BIble

  1. #391
    Sage
    presluc's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Michigan
    Last Seen
    01-05-18 @ 05:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    9,940

    Cool Re: Does life on other planets disprove the BIble

    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Ferris View Post
    Meh, don't like that one well then try explaining away Daniel 4:10-11:“...I looked and there before me I saw a tree of great height at the centre of the earth...reaching with its top to the sky and visible to the earth's farthest bounds.”
    You keep coming up with quotes from the biblle

    However isn't it true that renowned scientist of a certain period thought that not only the earth was flat but also the center of the universe.

    The so caled theory at one time that the sun revoled arounsd the earth also comes to mind.

    History is full of mistaken theories.

    Somewhere on this thread I have already stated that the bible was written by man, man makes mistakes.
    Tiki bar regular.
    My code, never take anything for granted always expect the unexpexted.
    Never take anything you don't need ,never want anything you can't have

  2. #392
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Past the edge of the universe, through the singularity, and out the other side.
    Last Seen
    09-01-10 @ 05:23 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,324

    Re: Does life on other planets disprove the BIble

    Quote Originally Posted by presluc View Post
    You keep coming up with quotes from the biblle

    However isn't it true that renowned scientist of a certain period thought that not only the earth was flat but also the center of the universe.
    But Galileo never claimed to be the word of god.

    The so caled theory at one time that the sun revoled arounsd the earth also comes to mind.

    History is full of mistaken theories.
    The bible doesn't claim to be a theory, it claims to be the word of an omnipotent, omniscient, and omnipresent god. And even if it did claim to be a theory then what good is it? Theories which are completely wrong get thrown in the dustbin, are you saying that the bible should go the way of heliocentrism and geocentrism?

    Somewhere on this thread I have already stated that the bible was written by man, man makes mistakes.
    So then you admit that it's a fiction book depicting a the life and times of a fictional character named God? I agree.
    Last edited by Agent Ferris; 11-19-09 at 05:45 PM.

  3. #393
    Traditionalist
    phattonez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,406

    Re: Does life on other planets disprove the BIble

    Quote Originally Posted by presluc View Post
    Somewhere on this thread I have already stated that the bible was written by man, man makes mistakes.
    So we should believe nothing that man writes? Got it!

    Who shall ascend the hill of the Lord? And who shall stand in his holy place? He who has clean hands and a pure heart, who does not lift up his soul to what is false, and does not swear deceitfully. Psalm 24
    "True law is right reason in agreement with nature . . . Whoever is disobedient is fleeing from himself and denying his human nature [and] will suffer the worst penalties . . ." - Cicero

  4. #394
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Yop
    Last Seen
    06-27-16 @ 05:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    2,366

    Re: Does life on other planets disprove the BIble

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Since you weren't using the tooth fairy as your example in your post 326, which is what I was responding to in the post you just quoted, attempting to now redirect and change your argument is equivocation.

    Please adjust your argument to account for the real history of Santa and re-dress post 325 accordingly.
    Oh let me guess, you want to pull some phony Christian Saint out of your magical hat to explain me the very origin of Santa Claus; and by doing that, you will completely ignore what Christianity owes to Ancient Egypt? How typical! I guess that's what judeo-christianism is really about: plagiarism!



    "There is also an interesting scene in the central niche of Wadi es-Sebua temple where two statues of Amun and Re-Horakhty which stood besides Ramesses II were hacked away by later Christian worshippers and replaced by an image of St. Peter. When the plaster coating was removed from the carved reliefs, one finds a bizarre image of Ramesses II offering flowers to...St Peter instead."


  5. #395
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Post Re: Does life on other planets disprove the BIble

    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Ferris View Post
    No actually I pointed to the verse in which it is said that one would be able to see the entirety of the earth from a high enough vantage point...
    Daniel 4:10-11 is a vision, not an actual observation.

    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Ferris View Post
    .....and the one where it says that there is a tree at the center of the earth, the first is impossible on a spherical earth, and as to the second, the center of the earth is a ball is the median distance between 3160 and 3954 miles under ground.
    I looked back and didn't see you posting anything about a tree.

    However:
    Ecclesiastes 1:5 doesn't say anything about shape.

    Joshua 10:13 is an exaggerated precession following a major global even such as a poler shift. A couple years ago someone brought up this same point, and a theist linked to an ancient Chinese account of the sun never coming up on the same day. I'll look for a similar link, but this does not speak of shape either.

    Psalm 104:5 Foundations in this context means "orbit". The passage is correct in that man can not change earth's orbit around the sun.

    Psalm 75:3: When you hear a love song on the radio reference 'mending a broken heart', do you think the artist is speaking of cardio-bypass surgery?

    Both Psalm 104:5 and Psalm 75:3 are songs. This is one aria of the bible where we expect to see artistic license, not technical observation.

    ***
    In 2000 years some literalist like yourself is going to look at a record of someone in our time saying "well I'll be a monkey's uncle", and conclude that that person thought they were literally the uncle of a monkey.
    Last edited by Jerry; 11-19-09 at 06:16 PM.

  6. #396
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Past the edge of the universe, through the singularity, and out the other side.
    Last Seen
    09-01-10 @ 05:23 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,324

    Re: Does life on other planets disprove the BIble

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    Beats me -- but the fact is that you have illustrated why it cannot mean the point within the core. You interpret it to mean that point.
    No I'm not interpreting anything, I am providing you with quotes from the bible which are completely wrong. Trees don't grow at the center of the earth because the center of the earth is thousands of miles under ground, however, there would be a center of the earth on a flat earth like the bible describes.

    Well?
    Then explain the quote from the Book of Daniel.

    Does the verse you cite indicate this? Or is trhat your interpretation?
    The bible clearly states in 2 Tim. 3:16-17: "All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.

    It does. But the sun moves as well.
    It doesn't move the way the bible describes, the earth does not move relative to the earth.

    Ah. Your interpretation.
    So "foundation" cannot mean "orbit"?
    Why not? Isnt the earth fixed in its orbit?
    It clearly says "so that it should never be moved" the earth maybe in a fixed orbit but it is in constant motion. Even within its own orbit it revolves around its own axis.

    Ah. Your interpretation.
    So what other definition of steady would work within that context?

  7. #397
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Does life on other planets disprove the BIble

    Quote Originally Posted by paris View Post
    Oh let me guess, you want to pull some phony Christian Saint out of your magical hat to explain me the very origin of Santa Claus; and by doing that, you will completely ignore what Christianity owes to Ancient Egypt? How typical! I guess that's what judeo-christianism is really about: plagiarism!



    "There is also an interesting scene in the central niche of Wadi es-Sebua temple where two statues of Amun and Re-Horakhty which stood besides Ramesses II were hacked away by later Christian worshippers and replaced by an image of St. Peter. When the plaster coating was removed from the carved reliefs, one finds a bizarre image of Ramesses II offering flowers to...St Peter instead."

    I like how you just shut down your own argument by providing a factual history of the Santa tradition

  8. #398
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Past the edge of the universe, through the singularity, and out the other side.
    Last Seen
    09-01-10 @ 05:23 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,324

    Re: Does life on other planets disprove the BIble

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    Easy. If it was tall enough it could be seen at both the poles and from both edges of the equator, which would be the farthest bounds of the earth. It doesn't say "visible from everywhere on earth" only the farthest bounds.
    But the quote says that the tree is that the center of the earth, the center of the earth is thousands of miles underground, the quote only works if it is describing a flat earth.

  9. #399
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Past the edge of the universe, through the singularity, and out the other side.
    Last Seen
    09-01-10 @ 05:23 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,324

    Re: Does life on other planets disprove the BIble

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Daniel 4:10-11 is a vision, not an actual observation.
    So in this vision created by god, god decided to show a flat earth?


    I looked back and didn't see you posting anything about a tree.
    That's from the Daniel quote:

    "the king “saw a tree of great height at the centre of the earth...reaching with its top to the sky and visible to the earth's farthest bounds.”


    However:
    Ecclesiastes 1:5 doesn't say anything about shape.
    Ecclesiastes 1:5 is describing a geocentric universe not a flat earth.

    Joshua 10:13 is an exaggerated precession following a major global even such as a poler shift. A couple years ago someone brought up this same point, and a theist linked to an ancient Chinese account of the sun never coming up on the same day. I'll look for a similar link, but this does not speak of shape either.
    Huh? The sun does go up and down in the first place, it only appears so due to the rotation of the earth. Relative to the earth the sun is in a fixed position.

    Psalm 104:5 Foundations in this context means "orbit". The passage is correct in that man can not change earth's orbit around the sun.
    It clearly says "so that it should never be moved" the earth maybe in a fixed orbit around the sun which could be described as a foundation, however, it is still in constant motion within that orbit as it revolves around its own axis.

    Moreover, Chronicles 16:30 states that "the world also shall be stable, that it be not moved."

    Psalm 75:3: When you hear a love song on the radio reference 'mending a broken heart', do you think the artist is speaking of cardio-bypass surgery?

    Both Psalm 104:5 and Psalm 75:3 are songs. This is one aria of the bible where we expect to see artistic license, not technical observation.
    So they took artistic license with the word of god?


    ***
    In 2000 years some literalist like yourself is going to look at a record of someone in our time saying "well I'll be a monkey's uncle", and conclude that that person thought they were literally the uncle of a monkey.
    If said person was describing say evolution then yes you could look at it and think that guy was an idiot and since the bible in those verses presented were describing the earth and the sun then I would likely come to the conclusion that the person writing it was an idiot and not an omnipresent, omniscient, and omnipresent celestial creator.

  10. #400
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Past the edge of the universe, through the singularity, and out the other side.
    Last Seen
    09-01-10 @ 05:23 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,324

    Re: Does life on other planets disprove the BIble

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    I like how you just shut down your own argument by providing a factual history of the Santa tradition
    Actually Santa is the Christian conceptualization of the Nordic God Odin again more plagiarism of earlier tradition.

Page 40 of 87 FirstFirst ... 30383940414250 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •