View Poll Results: See OP

Voters
100. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, because...

    22 22.00%
  • No, because...

    64 64.00%
  • Other

    14 14.00%
Page 19 of 87 FirstFirst ... 917181920212969 ... LastLast
Results 181 to 190 of 870

Thread: Does life on other planets disprove the BIble

  1. #181
    Sage
    First Thought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    DFW, Texas
    Last Seen
    12-01-10 @ 03:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,218

    Re: Does life on other planets disprove the BIble

    No, because the Bible does not say that God only created life on the planet Earth.
    "An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it." - Gandhi

  2. #182
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    09-22-10 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: Does life on other planets disprove the BIble

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    No proof of this exists
    The Epic of Gilgamesh exists. Ever hear of "google"? The Epic of Gilgamesh predates the writing Noah.

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    and in reality, the things that are the same are tenuous at best. Please explain how native American and South American natives also have the same story? Hmmm?
    Hmmmm.....where's you evidence that it's the SAME story?

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    So he saved them from a large local flood. To them it was global. What part of "there world was much smaller than ours are you not understanding?"
    So you're confessing that the myth of Noah, in which God ordered Noah to build a damn big boat to save all the animals of the earth from drowning, was in fact a myth because no merely local flood requires a species-preserving Ark.

    Try looking at the whole story, since it's the whole story that's false as well as the most of the details.

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    Who said it can't be taken literally?
    You just did.

    The bible said "whole earth", and I ain't wasting my time to dig the verse out of Genesis, and you just said it doesn't mean "whole earth", it just means the limits of the imaginations of the people of the era.

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    Common sense to know what is figuratively spoken and what is not goes a long way.
    Right.

    So once again, you're saying the Bible isn't to be taken literally, but figuratively.

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    Study is also helpful.
    You should try it.

    Start with the science of cosmology, work over to geology, then do some time studying biology, abiogenesis, and evolution. Once you're acquainted with the real world, try to relate what it tells you to the fairy stories in your Bible.

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    Not just study of the Bible, but the culture and time it comes from. There perspective was very different from ours and did not have the language to explain things shown to them in our modern day terms.
    Right. Again you're saying the Bible is to be taken figuratively, not literally.

  3. #183
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    09-22-10 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: Does life on other planets disprove the BIble

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    I did. Pehaps you missed it? It was in the post you responded to.
    You did not.

    Let me know when you've rescinded your Rule, it's really embarassing to watch you squirm and make an ass of yourself.

    (and funny as hell)

  4. #184
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,527

    Re: Does life on other planets disprove the BIble

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow Akhbar View Post
    Noah's flood not only didn't happen as described, the story itself is plagiarized from Mesopotamian sources.
    As I have shown this is not true.

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow Akhbar View Post
    Joshua ben Nun Joshua ben Nun did not observe the sun halted in it's motion ever, not once in his entire life, and certainly not for a full "day".
    You were there I assume? Otherwise you can't know.

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow Akhbar View Post
    Right.

    The one person out of the eight that says he didn't see Noah's flood is the correct one.
    Dodging and deflecting my answer makes it no less true.

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow Akhbar View Post
    And then, since you just said they have nothing in common, you have an internally inconsistent mishmash that refutes the stories told within it, not to mention the fact that physical reality refutes parts of it also.
    Not really. You have the collected writings of many people in one source.

    Bad mouthing it on information that in most cases is wrong, makes it no less than what it is.

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow Akhbar View Post
    Your premise is flawed because you don't want to know the history of humanity.
    I actually know quite a bit since I was an anthropology major in college. Hmmm.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  5. #185
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    09-22-10 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: Does life on other planets disprove the BIble

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    It was written before 240 BCE. This is the Old Testament, not the new.
    Well, the term is supposed to be BC, and was changed to BCE out of a political correctness I don't particpate in.

    And you thumpers should be most adamant against the BCE tag. Maybe you don't understand the issues involved?

    Erastothenes calculated a diameter for the earth (fairly accurate) and mathematically demonstrated what was already known from observation.

    Do study the history of science, okay, and don't try to teach it to your betters.

  6. #186
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Does life on other planets disprove the BIble

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow Akhbar View Post
    You did not.
    Actually, you're right -- YOU did, as noted.
    And you continue to do so, with every post.
    Please, continue to prove the point.

  7. #187
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    09-22-10 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: Does life on other planets disprove the BIble

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    As I have shown this is not true.
    You've shown that the Myth of Noah was written before the Mesopotamian legends of Gilgamesh?

    Where's your Nobel prize, since this overturns established chronology.

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    You were there I assume? Otherwise you can't know.
    If you studied physics, you would see your present ignorance and hang your head in shame.

    As it is, this is what I expect from thumpers.

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    Dodging and deflecting my answer makes it no less true.
    No, nothing could make your answer less true.

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    Not really. You have the collected writings of many people in one source. Bad mouthing it on information that in most cases is wrong, makes it no less than what it is.
    And naturally committees never have any disagreements.

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    I actually know quite a bit since I was an anthropology major in college. Hmmm.
    Amazing. You earned degree in a science but refuse to think like a scientist.

    You earned a degree, and yet can't agree with what the science of anthropology says about the reality of human physical origins and the evolution of human culture.

    Can you explain why, as you so clearly lack any curiousity regarding the reality of human history on this planet, why you chose to study the science of human historical development?

  8. #188
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,527

    Re: Does life on other planets disprove the BIble

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow Akhbar View Post
    The Epic of Gilgamesh exists. Ever hear of "google"? The Epic of Gilgamesh predates the writing Noah.
    So what?

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow Akhbar View Post
    Hmmmm.....where's you evidence that it's the SAME story?
    Africa:

    "Southwest Tanzania
    Once upon a time the rivers began to flood. The god told two people to get into a ship. He told them to take lots of seed and to take lots of animals. The water of the flood eventually covered the mountains. Finally the flood stopped. Then one of the men, wanting to know if the water had dried up let a dove loose. The dove returned. Later he let loose a hawk which did not return. Then the men left the boat and took the animals and the seeds with them.
    "

    China:

    "The Chinese classic called the Hihking tells about "the family of Fuhi," that was saved from a great flood. This ancient story tells that the entire land was flooded; the mountains and everything, however one family survived in a boat. The Chinese consider this man the father of their civilization. This record indicates that Fuhi, his wife, three sons, and three daughters were the only people that escaped the great flood. It is claimed, that he and his family were the only people alive on earth, and repopulated the world.

    North America

    "Mexico
    The Toltec natives have a legend telling that the original creation lasted for 1716 years, and was destroyed by a flood and only one family survived.

    Aztec- A man named Tapi lived a long time ago. Tapi was a very pious man. The creator told Tapi to build a boat that he would live in. He was told that he should take his wife, a pair of every animal that was alive into this boat. Naturally everyone thought he was crazy. Then the rain started and the flood came. The men and animals tried to climb the mountains but the mountains became flooded as well. Finally the rain ended. Tapi decided that the water had dried up when he let a dove loose that did not return.

    United States
    The Ojibwe natives who have lived in Minnesota USA since approximately 1400AD also have a creation and flood story that closely paralleles the Biblical account. "There came a time when the harmonious way of life did not continue. Men and women disrespected each other, families quarreled and soon villages began arguing back and forth. This saddened Gitchie Manido [the Creator] greatly, but he waited. Finally, when it seemed there was no hope left, Creator decided to purify Mother Earth through the use of water. The water came, flooding the Earth, catching all of creation off guard. All but a few of each living thing survived." Then it tells how Waynaboozhoo survived by floating on a log in the water with various animals.
    Ojibwe - Ancient native American creation story tells of world wide flood.

    Delaware Indians - In the pristine age, the world lived at peace; but an evil spirit came and caused a great flood. The earth was submerged. A few persons had taken refuge on the back of a turtle, so old that his shell had collected moss. A loon flew over their heads and was entreated to dive beneath the water and bring up land. It found only a bottomless sea. Then the bird flew far away, came back with a small portion of earth in its bill, and guided the tortoise to a place where there was a spot of dry land.



    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow Akhbar View Post
    So you're confessing that the myth of Noah, in which God ordered Noah to build a damn big boat to save all the animals of the earth from drowning, was in fact a myth because no merely local flood requires a species-preserving Ark.
    Please point out were I said anything even close.

    Intellectual dishonesty is no way to debate. Nice red herring though.

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow Akhbar View Post
    Try looking at the whole story, since it's the whole story that's false as well as the most of the details.
    OK and this supports your argument how?

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow Akhbar View Post
    You just did.

    The bible said "whole earth", and I ain't wasting my time to dig the verse out of Genesis, and you just said it doesn't mean "whole earth", it just means the limits of the imaginations of the people of the era.
    This is a lie, I said "From the writers perspective it was the whole world" continue your dishonesty.

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow Akhbar View Post
    Right.

    So once again, you're saying the Bible isn't to be taken literally, but figuratively.
    Keep deflecting and lying about what I said.

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow Akhbar View Post
    You should try it.

    Start with the science of cosmology, work over to geology, then do some time studying biology, abiogenesis, and evolution. Once you're acquainted with the real world, try to relate what it tells you to the fairy stories in your Bible.
    So far you have posted nothing from any of those disciplines that disagrees with the Bible.

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow Akhbar View Post
    Right. Again you're saying the Bible is to be taken figuratively, not literally.
    And here I thought I would get more than red herrings.
    Last edited by Black Dog; 11-13-09 at 03:34 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  9. #189
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,527

    Re: Does life on other planets disprove the BIble

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow Akhbar View Post
    Well, the term is supposed to be BC, and was changed to BCE out of a political correctness I don't particpate in.
    So what?

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow Akhbar View Post
    And you thumpers should be most adamant against the BCE tag. Maybe you don't understand the issues involved?

    Erastothenes calculated a diameter for the earth (fairly accurate) and mathematically demonstrated what was already known from observation.

    Do study the history of science, okay, and don't try to teach it to your betters.
    Maybe you don't understand. the Torah was written long before he made the calculations.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  10. #190
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    09-22-10 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: Does life on other planets disprove the BIble

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    So what?
    What part of "Moses plagiarized the Epic of Gilgamesh and called him Noah" do you find impossible to understand?

    As stated, lots of cultures have flood legends.

    That's nice.

    Since the entire planet wasn't flooded, they're obviously not all about the same flood happening at the same time.

    Gee, if they were all about the same flood happening at the same time, your argument that it was a local event bounded by people's limited knowlege of geography is false.

    So you just refuted your own point and are demonstrating nothing but an inconsistency in reasoning consistent with religious hysteria.

Page 19 of 87 FirstFirst ... 917181920212969 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •