View Poll Results: Can a person be anti Gay marriage and not be a bigot?

Voters
91. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    66 72.53%
  • No

    25 27.47%
Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 236

Thread: Can a person be against Gay Marriage and not be a bigot?

  1. #41
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,759

    Re: Can a person be against Gay Marriage and not be a bigot?

    Quote Originally Posted by earthworm View Post
    In some societies, "consent" means nothing, this may even apply to ours. Marriage should be between two humans of opposite sex.

    A union of two or more can be for just about anything. Lets have this for the man and his dog; or for two homosexuals.

    Lets keep marriage as it is, between a man and a woman....is that so hard ?
    Irrelevant. We are NOT talking about hypotheticals. We are discussing reality. And reality is that in none of those things he mentioned, can one of the parties give consent. In a homosexual union between two competent adults, both CAN. That is why his argument is illogical and does not apply.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  2. #42
    Sage
    Dav's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    04-16-16 @ 02:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,539

    Re: Can a person be against Gay Marriage and not be a bigot?

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    Stop. Your argument is ridiculous and does not help. A 9 year old cannot consent to marriage. A coma patient cannot consent to marriage. A chihuahua cannot consent to marriage. You are choosing irrelevant examples that do NOT fit the circumstances.
    I'm surprised he didn't bring up incest. That is a totally consensual situation.

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    All you have to do is look at the history of America and you will see that overall we are a very bigoted country.
    Comments like this really make me wonder about the left's constant assertion that they are not anti-American.

  3. #43
    Baby Eating Monster
    Korimyr the Rat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Laramie, WY
    Last Seen
    11-23-17 @ 02:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    18,709
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Can a person be against Gay Marriage and not be a bigot?

    Quote Originally Posted by akyron View Post
    You dont seem to be looking very hard. Wasnt there a vote on this recently? What were the viewpoints involved?
    Last vote I saw was the Maine repeal, in which there were two major viewpoints: liberals and bigots. The former were disappointed because they wanted "equal rights" and "freedom", regardless of the consequences, and the latter were cheering because they seemed to think they were one step closer to gays "going away". Then there was the small contingent of libertarians who wanted government out of marriage entirely. (I'd say "regardless of the consequences" again here, but everything libertarians want is regardless of the consequences.) All in all, I'd say the argument itself was the perfect summary of everything that's wrong with democracy and why "the people" simply aren't fit to govern themselves.

    As others have pointed out, there are sensible arguments for opposition to gay marriage. But instead of those arguments, we get a whole bunch of "it's just wrong" and unseemly preoccupation with buttsex.
    Last edited by Korimyr the Rat; 11-07-09 at 04:52 PM.

  4. #44
    Guru
    Alex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Last Seen
    02-13-17 @ 04:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    2,962

    Re: Can a person be against Gay Marriage and not be a bigot?

    I do not think being opposed to same-sex marriage necessarily makes someone a bigot. I think some people just want to preserve what they know to be true about marriage. Those are the rare breed though in the opposition to same-sex marriage, most just have something against gays and they express it through law.

    What I never understood is why a person would feel they need to impose that on an entire population of people by promulgating it into law. Maybe their marriage should be put to a 50 + 1 vote. I bet there would be more than enough reason to dissolve their marriage.

    Would heterosexuals be alright with having their marriage put to a vote by the people?
    "Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." -Ronald Reagan

  5. #45
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,534

    Re: Can a person be against Gay Marriage and not be a bigot?

    I am against it on religious moral grounds, but politically I think they should be allowed.

    I am not bigoted against gay people, I am bigoted against the life style.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  6. #46
    Sage
    akyron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    6,474

    Re: Can a person be against Gay Marriage and not be a bigot?

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    I speaking of anyone who believes that they are somehow entitled to rights/privileges while believing that they are somehow justified in denying those same rights/privileges to others.
    .
    Sooooo....congress.

    All right.
    Thank you

  7. #47
    Bus Driver to Hell
    Thorgasm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    12-14-17 @ 06:57 PM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    68,198

    Re: Can a person be against Gay Marriage and not be a bigot?

    Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    I do not think being opposed to same-sex marriage necessarily makes someone a bigot. I think some people just want to preserve what they know to be true about marriage. Those are the rare breed though in the opposition to same-sex marriage, most just have something against gays and they express it through law.

    What I never understood is why a person would feel they need to impose that on an entire population of people by promulgating it into law. Maybe their marriage should be put to a 50 + 1 vote. I bet there would be more than enough reason to dissolve their marriage.

    Would heterosexuals be alright with having their marriage put to a vote by the people?
    I like what you have done here.
    Quote Originally Posted by faithful_servant View Post
    Being a psychiatric patient does not mean that you are mentally ill.



  8. #48
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: Can a person be against Gay Marriage and not be a bigot?

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    I am asking the people who are pro gay marriage this question..........
    Sure.

    But that is limited to being against government in marriage as a concept or being against marriage as a concept.

    Your belief however, is bigotry.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  9. #49
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: Can a person be against Gay Marriage and not be a bigot?

    Quote Originally Posted by K-1 View Post
    Call me whatever you like: Gay marriage is an absurd invention of the extreme left.
    I didn't know the Extreme Left was in existence several thousand years ago when Pagan cultures openly practiced homosexual marriage.

    Although conservatives are staunchly opposed to homosexuality on the grounds of it being irrefutably immoral, conservatives are not "anti-gay."
    Correction: Social Conservatives are against that. The same kind of people who expand government to legislate morality within private homes. The same kind of people who got the FEDERAL GOVERNMENT into a strictly family dispute.

    Conservatives believe that gays should not be discrimnated against, and should be allowed the basic rights afforded to normal people, but the idea that a man and a man can be called a "married couple" is so preposterous that one has to wonder at how insane liberal policy in American can go.
    Because?

    Marriage is a secular three way agreement between two spouses and the government. Or are you not to update about the rights and obligations within state marriage?

    Next, I suppose liberals are going to be storming the streets for the right of animals to marry...
    Wow. Good luck here. You are going to need it if you rely upon obvious slippery slope arguments.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  10. #50
    Sage
    Dav's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    04-16-16 @ 02:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,539

    Re: Can a person be against Gay Marriage and not be a bigot?

    Quote Originally Posted by Korimyr the Rat View Post
    As others have pointed out, there are sensible arguments for opposition to gay marriage. But instead of those arguments, we get a whole bunch of "it's just wrong" and unseemly preoccupation with buttsex.
    We mostly just hear the views (1) of people who speak the loudest, and (2) which are presented by the opposition in order to make the position look ignorant and bigoted.

    I think that most people who are against gay marriage don't really know why they are against gay marriage, and thus don't speak out. That doesn't mean that they don't have legitimate concerns- and thanks admitting that those legitimate concerns exist.

    Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    What I never understood is why a person would feel they need to impose that on an entire population of people by promulgating it into law. Maybe their marriage should be put to a 50 + 1 vote. I bet there would be more than enough reason to dissolve their marriage.

    Would heterosexuals be alright with having their marriage put to a vote by the people?
    Changing a legal definition which has been used for thousands of years and was not even disputed until very recently should not happen until society itself has accepted it, i.e. has put it to a 50 + 1 vote.
    Last edited by Dav; 11-07-09 at 10:22 PM.

Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •