View Poll Results: Can a person be anti Gay marriage and not be a bigot?

Voters
91. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    66 72.53%
  • No

    25 27.47%
Page 20 of 24 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast
Results 191 to 200 of 236

Thread: Can a person be against Gay Marriage and not be a bigot?

  1. #191
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Epic Mountain
    Last Seen
    12-28-09 @ 06:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,384

    Re: Can a person be against Gay Marriage and not be a bigot?

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    This is an interesting thread. I have a question of my own.

    Can a person be for gay marriage and not be out to destroy traditional marriage?
    In essence, yeah. They want to change the tradition. Destroy it? Well, you gotta knock some walls down to renovate, ya know?

  2. #192
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Can a person be against Gay Marriage and not be a bigot?

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    This is an interesting thread. I have a question of my own.

    Can a person be for gay marriage and not be out to destroy traditional marriage?
    If that person believes only those monogamous couples raising children have a right to marry, yes.

    In that case, the fact that the monogamous couple raising children happen to be of the same-sex becomes irrelevant.

    If the person just doesn't care about what other people are doing, they are reckless and harm "traditional" marriage by diluting the altering it's meaning in the harts and minds of the people.

  3. #193
    Baby Eating Monster
    Korimyr the Rat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Laramie, WY
    Last Seen
    11-23-17 @ 02:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    18,709
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Can a person be against Gay Marriage and not be a bigot?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Let me ask you with sincerity: is their orientation fulfilling the roll of marriage as "vital to the survival of mankind" (Skinner-v-OK)?
    I would say so, at least to the same extent that the marriage of heterosexuals is vital to our survival. It's tragic, but I think we can all conclude definitively that marriage has proven not to be essential to procreation-- but it is certainly vastly beneficial to the raising of children. It is just as essential to the raising of children of homosexuals as it is the raising of children of heterosexuals.

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Can a person be for gay marriage and not be out to destroy traditional marriage?
    Yes. Case in point, myself. Concerning the legality of marriage, I have two goals: restore traditional marriage including the emphasis on lifelong commitment and its central focus being on the well-being of the family, and then to allow qualified homosexual couples to participate fully in it.

  4. #194
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Epic Mountain
    Last Seen
    12-28-09 @ 06:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,384

    Re: Can a person be against Gay Marriage and not be a bigot?

    Quote Originally Posted by Korimyr the Rat View Post
    I would say so, at least to the same extent that the marriage of heterosexuals is vital to our survival. It's tragic, but I think we can all conclude definitively that marriage has proven not to be essential to procreation-- but it is certainly vastly beneficial to the raising of children. It is just as essential to the raising of children of homosexuals as it is the raising of children of heterosexuals.



    Yes. Case in point, myself. Concerning the legality of marriage, I have two goals: restore traditional marriage including the emphasis on lifelong commitment and its central focus being on the well-being of the family, and then to allow qualified homosexual couples to participate fully in it.

    I think that if we opened up to a more caring family, regardless of who gives the caring, we'd find that a traditional family (Mommy and Daddy) isn't necessary for raising kids. There are plenty of different family makeups that yield productive members of society, and plenty of traditional families that turn our wackjobs.

  5. #195
    Baby Eating Monster
    Korimyr the Rat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Laramie, WY
    Last Seen
    11-23-17 @ 02:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    18,709
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Can a person be against Gay Marriage and not be a bigot?

    Quote Originally Posted by EpicDude86 View Post
    I think that if we opened up to a more caring family, regardless of who gives the caring, we'd find that a traditional family (Mommy and Daddy) isn't necessary for raising kids.
    All the caring in the world can't replace adequate supervision. And the majority of child abuse and child murder cases are perpetrated by step-parents or live-in partners of the primary caregiver. Separating children from their original caretakers and introducing strangers into their domestic lives is very bad-- and it is traditional marriage that best protects children from this fate.

    Quote Originally Posted by EpicDude86 View Post
    There are plenty of different family makeups that yield productive members of society, and plenty of traditional families that turn our wackjobs.
    I can attest to this. My parents were married until I was twelve, and I am one of the atypical cases in which severe child abuse occurred at the hands of parents. I'll leave it to your own discretion as to whether or not you consider me a wackjob; the State is withholding its own judgment on the matter until I either run out of property or run afoul of the law.

    On the other hand, the fact that other family structures do produce numerous success stories doesn't change the fact that being raised in a traditional two-parent home is the single largest factor in predicting a child's welfare and chances of future success as an adult.

  6. #196
    Hung like Einstein
    Singularity's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    San Diego
    Last Seen
    12-12-17 @ 05:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    1,058

    Re: Can a person be against Gay Marriage and not be a bigot?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    I like how you're trying to impose a frame work on me, that I'm somehow obligated to comply with your narrow requirements

    Petty posturing at it's best
    I'm not imposing anything on you, and you are certainly not obligated to reply. But I am going to assume from your song-and-dance routine over the last few pages that your belief about homosexuals desiring the welfare of the family as a distant third when it comes to what they seek from marriage is simply an opinion based on no factual evidence whatsoever. A poll, a link from an accredited family psychologist - something specific to show me where you derived this from would be appreciated. You usually link specifics in debates. The fact that you cannot do so in this case is understandably perplexing. It's almost as if you just made it up out of the blue.

    In any case, I think we can pretty much amend your statement to read that homosexuals and heterosexuals both desire validation, recognition, and yes, the 'welfare of the family' out of marriage - not as any 'distant third', but as something right up there with every other reason that people get married. While i'm sure it varies from marriage to marriage, it's unfair to label the homosexual community as simply wanting mere validation from a marriage, because there is a whole host of things they desire from it. My friends want to get married and are talking about adopting a child eventually, and I think that's pretty cool. So it seems like 'welfare of the family' is right on up there to me.

    Have a good 'un!

  7. #197
    Sage
    Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    US
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:39 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,170

    Re: Can a person be against Gay Marriage and not be a bigot?

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    I am not "ascribing" an argument to you. I am giving you context about what the argument is about. It is about the sexual orientation of the people who want to marry. NOT the gender. That is why your argument is illogical. It's entire premise is false.
    Again, a false premise doesn't make an argument "illogical." Can you please restate what you think my argument is, and if you're not ascribing that to me, maybe a quote to where I made that argument?

    And how are any of these reasons impacted by the sexual orientation of the two people involved?
    They don't, but I fail to see the relevance. Are you trying to claim that if the reasons are the same, the state should recognize gay marriage? That makes no sense.

  8. #198
    Sage
    Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    US
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:39 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,170

    Re: Can a person be against Gay Marriage and not be a bigot?

    Quote Originally Posted by EpicDude86 View Post
    Marriage isn't right. We are not monogamous critters by nature.
    We aren't peaceful creatures by nature, either. Should we abolish laws restricting violent activity?

  9. #199
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: Can a person be against Gay Marriage and not be a bigot?

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow Akhbar View Post
    All they have to do is present a valid logical reason based upon fact to justify their opposition.

    No one opposed to same-sex marriage has done that to date.
    Good point - it's always based on feelings.

    "I don't feel comfortable"
    "I feel it's immoral"
    "I don't feel like explaining it to my kiddos"
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  10. #200
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Epic Mountain
    Last Seen
    12-28-09 @ 06:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,384

    Re: Can a person be against Gay Marriage and not be a bigot?

    Quote Originally Posted by Korimyr the Rat View Post
    All the caring in the world can't replace adequate supervision.
    Sorry, that's what I really meant. Was a proper guardian. Not like "Loving" care.

    Quote Originally Posted by Korimyr the Rat View Post
    And the majority of child abuse and child murder cases are perpetrated by step-parents or live-in partners of the primary caregiver. Separating children from their original caretakers and introducing strangers into their domestic lives is very bad-- and it is traditional marriage that best protects children from this fate.
    Yeah, we don't need to force it, but we shouldn't look down upon different families...I know some kids I went to school with had a kind of stigma because they came from broken families, some of them showed it more than others, but still you could often tell.

    Quote Originally Posted by Korimyr the Rat View Post
    I can attest to this. My parents were married until I was twelve, and I am one of the atypical cases in which severe child abuse occurred at the hands of parents. I'll leave it to your own discretion as to whether or not you consider me a wackjob; the State is withholding its own judgment on the matter until I either run out of property or run afoul of the law.
    You? A wackjob? Nawwwww. Hmmm...should we start a Korimyr Legal Fund?

    Quote Originally Posted by Korimyr the Rat View Post
    On the other hand, the fact that other family structures do produce numerous success stories doesn't change the fact that being raised in a traditional two-parent home is the single largest factor in predicting a child's welfare and chances of future success as an adult.
    Well in a Walgreen's world I wish we could all have happy families and hust worry about getting birthday cards out on time. But frankly, I think we need a little dysfunction in society. Be it in our own homes or the homes of others. I know I was ALWAYS a fan of the Single M.I.F. trying to raise her kid(s)...who just happened to be my friends..."Stacy's Mom" comes to mind...mmmmmmmmm

Page 20 of 24 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •