View Poll Results: Can a person be anti Gay marriage and not be a bigot?

Voters
91. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    66 72.53%
  • No

    25 27.47%
Page 19 of 24 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast
Results 181 to 190 of 236

Thread: Can a person be against Gay Marriage and not be a bigot?

  1. #181
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Can a person be against Gay Marriage and not be a bigot?

    Quote Originally Posted by Singularity View Post
    Just out of curiosity, where did you hear this information? From chatting with friends of mine who happen to be gay, they seem to want what heterosexual couples want when they involve themselves in a marriage - legal recognition, a family, and validation. All three of these you listed, and there is probably more. What I am curious about is how you somehow arrived at the conclusion that the 'welfare of the family' is a distant third, because i'd say this is incorrect.
    I'm a fairly active member of an online debate forum, where people of many points of view bring not only opinion, but links and evidence to substantiate their various arguments. Here are links to a few key threads on the issue. If you like what you see I invite you to sign up and join us:

    http://www.debatepolitics.com/polls/...-prop-8-a.html

    http://www.debatepolitics.com/breaki...ition-8-a.html

    http://www.debatepolitics.com/us-ele...alifornia.html

    http://www.debatepolitics.com/breaki...-prop-8-a.html

    http://www.debatepolitics.com/breaki...vandalism.html

    Quote Originally Posted by Singularity View Post
    Furthermore, what homosexuals want in regards to marriage is what heterosexuals want as well, wouldn't you agree?
    "Heterosexuals" don't hold a uniform opinion on the issue for a comparison to be made. Also, there are prominent gays oppose gay 'marriage, so we can see that this is not a gay-vs-straight issue.

  2. #182
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Epic Mountain
    Last Seen
    12-28-09 @ 06:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,384

    Re: Can a person be against Gay Marriage and not be a bigot?

    I'm going to change my stance a little and say no one should be able to get married because we are not monogamous beings. What's the divorce rate in this country again? For heterosexual AND Homosexual marriages?

  3. #183
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Epic Mountain
    Last Seen
    12-28-09 @ 06:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,384

    Re: Can a person be against Gay Marriage and not be a bigot?

    Quote Originally Posted by Singularity View Post
    Just out of curiosity, where did you hear this information? From chatting with friends of mine who happen to be gay, they seem to want what heterosexual couples want when they involve themselves in a marriage - legal recognition, a family, and validation. All three of these you listed, and there is probably more. What I am curious about is how you somehow arrived at the conclusion that the 'welfare of the family' is a distant third, because i'd say this is incorrect. Furthermore, what homosexuals want in regards to marriage is what heterosexuals want as well, wouldn't you agree?
    Jerry is a staunch Jerrycrat (or Jerrycan if you prefer), don't try and wrap your head around him or it will asplode.


    like...WHOA!

  4. #184
    Hung like Einstein
    Singularity's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    San Diego
    Last Seen
    12-12-17 @ 05:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    1,058

    Re: Can a person be against Gay Marriage and not be a bigot?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    I'm a fairly active member of an online debate forum, where people of many points of view bring not only opinion, but links and evidence to substantiate their various arguments. Here are links to a few key threads on the issue. If you like what you see I invite you to sign up and join us:

    http://www.debatepolitics.com/polls/...-prop-8-a.html

    http://www.debatepolitics.com/breaki...ition-8-a.html

    http://www.debatepolitics.com/us-ele...alifornia.html

    http://www.debatepolitics.com/breaki...-prop-8-a.html

    http://www.debatepolitics.com/breaki...vandalism.html
    Thank you for welcoming me a year and half later to the messageboard, Jerry! As a member of this community for as long as those threads have been running, I can tell you without a shadow of doubt that you will find no unbiased, scientific, or psychiatric evidence in them to factually substantiate your claim that homosexuals regard the 'welfare of the family' as a 'distant third'. At the moment, you are probably saying to yourself, "You know, self, Singularity cannot possibly know that! It's almost as if he *gasp* read those threads before!" However, those threads are a bit old and I aint gettin' any younger myself. Therefore, I invite you to stand and deliver. Please, show me specifics in those threads where the homosexual community regards the welfare of the family as a 'distant third'. I'd like - your words - 'links and evidence', of course. Oh, and as always, i'd love to see something based in fact, as I mentioned. Unless your opinion is not based on such a thing?

    Oh, and for further reference, you may avoid any future slip ups by reading the 'Join Date' underneath the avatar. It's right above the 'Last Seen' line. You're welcome.


    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    "Heterosexuals" don't hold a uniform opinion on the issue for a comparison to be made. Also, there are prominent gays oppose gay 'marriage, so we can see that this is not a gay-vs-straight issue.
    Both heterosexuals and homosexuals want pretty much the same things out of marriage, as I said. While it may certainly differ from marriage to marriage, I can think of nothing that one particular group wants that the other does not.
    Last edited by Singularity; 11-09-09 at 02:05 AM.

  5. #185
    Hung like Einstein
    Singularity's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    San Diego
    Last Seen
    12-12-17 @ 05:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    1,058

    Re: Can a person be against Gay Marriage and not be a bigot?

    Quote Originally Posted by EpicDude86 View Post
    I'm going to change my stance a little and say no one should be able to get married because we are not monogamous beings. What's the divorce rate in this country again? For heterosexual AND Homosexual marriages?
    Actually, I think both heterosexuals and homosexuals should be REQUIRED to get married. Heterosexuals should be forced to marry because being single means that you are depriving some lucky guy or girl out of a future divorce settlement. Homosexuals should be forced to marry because i'm a little tired of their happy-go-lucky lifestyle.
    Last edited by Singularity; 11-09-09 at 02:03 AM.

  6. #186
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Epic Mountain
    Last Seen
    12-28-09 @ 06:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,384

    Re: Can a person be against Gay Marriage and not be a bigot?

    Quote Originally Posted by Singularity View Post
    Actually, I think both heterosexuals AND homosexuals should be required to get married. Heterosexuals should be forced to marry because being single means that you are depriving some lucky guy or girl out of a future divorce settlement. Homosexuals should be forced to marry because i'm a little tired of their happy-go-lucky lifestyle.
    We should carefully analyze the personality and emotional level of each person, and if they are happy single, force them to get married, and if they aren't, ruin their chances for love.


    > WE CAN BRING SOCIETY TO IT'S KNEES!



  7. #187
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Can a person be against Gay Marriage and not be a bigot?

    Quote Originally Posted by Singularity View Post
    Thank you for welcoming me a year and half later to the messageboard, Jerry! As a member of this community for as long as those threads have been running, I can tell you without a shadow of doubt that you will find no unbiased, scientific, or psychiatric evidence in them to factually substantiate your claim that homosexuals regard the 'welfare of the family' as a 'distant third'. At the moment, you are probably saying to yourself, "You know, self, Singularity cannot possibly know that! It's almost as if he *gasp* read those threads before!" However, those threads are a bit old and I aint gettin' any younger myself. Therefore, I invite you to stand and deliver. Please, show me specifics in those threads where the homosexual community regards the welfare of the family as a 'distant third'. I'd like - your words - 'links and evidence', of course. Oh, and as always, i'd love to see something based in fact, as I mentioned. Unless your opinion is not based on such a thing?

    Oh, and for further reference, you may avoid any future slip ups by reading the 'Join Date' underneath the avatar. It's right above the 'Last Seen' line. You're welcome.
    Singularity has been successfully trolled

    There were many links to laws, statistical data, gay-marriage leaders calling for an end to "second-class status" Domestic Partnership confers, and smiler, in those discussions. I'm sorry you chose to miss out.
    Last edited by Jerry; 11-09-09 at 02:38 AM.

  8. #188
    Hung like Einstein
    Singularity's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    San Diego
    Last Seen
    12-12-17 @ 05:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    1,058

    Re: Can a person be against Gay Marriage and not be a bigot?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Singularity has been successfully trolled
    I played one in WoW, omg! So I know teh trollZorz when I see it!

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    There were many links to laws, statistical data, gay-marriage leaders calling for an end to "second-class status" Domestic Partnership confers, and smiler, in those discussions. I'm sorry you chose to miss out.
    And yet, there was nothing factually specific in any of them about homosexuals regarding 'welfare of the family' as some 'distant third' when it comes to why they wish to get married in the first place - a claim that you made a few pages back. Perhaps you wish to pick something specific out of those threads? After all, i'm assuming you made this claim based on something concrete, like a poll of the homosexual community or something like that? Maybe something scientific?

    I'm just trying to figure out where you arrived at this conclusion, because i'd say it's incorrect. And i'd wager that there is nothing of the scientific or polling sort in any of those threads specifically making that claim, either.

  9. #189
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Can a person be against Gay Marriage and not be a bigot?

    Quote Originally Posted by Singularity View Post
    I played one in WoW, omg! So I know teh trollZorz when I see it!



    And yet, there was nothing factually specific in any of them about homosexuals regarding 'welfare of the family' as some 'distant third' when it comes to why they wish to get married in the first place - a claim that you made a few pages back. Perhaps you wish to pick something specific out of those threads? After all, i'm assuming you made this claim based on something concrete, like a poll of the homosexual community or something like that? Maybe something scientific?

    I'm just trying to figure out where you arrived at this conclusion, because i'd say it's incorrect. And i'd wager that there is nothing of the scientific or polling sort in any of those threads specifically making that claim, either.
    I like how you're trying to impose a frame work on me, that I'm somehow obligated to comply with your narrow requirements

    Petty posturing at it's best

  10. #190
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,136

    Re: Can a person be against Gay Marriage and not be a bigot?

    This is an interesting thread. I have a question of my own.

    Can a person be for gay marriage and not be out to destroy traditional marriage?

Page 19 of 24 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •