View Poll Results: Can a person be anti Gay marriage and not be a bigot?

Voters
91. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    66 72.53%
  • No

    25 27.47%
Page 18 of 24 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast
Results 171 to 180 of 236

Thread: Can a person be against Gay Marriage and not be a bigot?

  1. #171
    Stigmatized! End R Word! Kali's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Last Seen
    08-19-12 @ 12:29 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    13,334
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Can a person be against Gay Marriage and not be a bigot?

    Quote Originally Posted by Korimyr the Rat View Post
    Yes, a person can. I just haven't seen it yet.
    You should come visit me and meet some of my family. I will show you some people that have no hate in their heart and could not have even if they tried. They simply do not support gay marriage. I have tried to tread lightly and talk to them about it but it really is useless cause they are not gonna change their minds due to they really are sheep. I am not saying that in a mean way cause I love em but they are blinded and binded in their faith and it is sad to me.
    ~Following My Own Flow~

  2. #172
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:04 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,725

    Re: Can a person be against Gay Marriage and not be a bigot?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Let me ask you with sincerity: is their orientation fulfilling the roll of marriage as "vital to the survival of mankind" (Skinner-v-OK)?
    In as much as a childless couple. In as much as an infertile couple that chooses to adopt. See how this goes 'round and 'round? The rights argument is a loser argument from both sides, anyway; neither side has much of a leg to stand on...we both know that. This is another reason why most of the responses here, for either side, are not relevant and easily disputed.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  3. #173
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:04 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,725

    Re: Can a person be against Gay Marriage and not be a bigot?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Remember you are born homosexual. You decide to engage in homosexual behavior. Just like you were born straight and chose to engage in heterosexual behavior.
    You copied me!!! I've been using this argument for years, here.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  4. #174
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:04 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,725

    Re: Can a person be against Gay Marriage and not be a bigot?

    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    If you're referring to "Argumentum ad antiquitatem" I don't see how it's relevant (the "the rights are the same" argument is different than the "because it's how it's always been" argument).
    Partially. But you are missing the point and thinking too narrowly. Ask yourself this: since not all couples who are married procreate, why do two people choose to get married? If you are honest about the answer, you will then understand why the argument you are making (gays can marry...just people of the opposite sex) is illogical.


    A fact (so long as the other person is willing, of sufficient age, not related, not a second or third or fourth spouse, etc.)
    That's true. Currently, this is the case.


    Right. So the argument isn't illogical. It's only "illogical" (in a second-tier definition of the term) from a contextual view because it doesn't satisfactorily address the issue in the manner you've chosen to frame it.
    No, it's illogical in a contextual view because it doesn't satisfactorily address the issue AS IT IS. YOU'VE chosen to frame it inaccurately.

    From the viewpoint that we should, as a state, encourage families that consist of one man and one woman, it's perfectly logical that all are afforded that same opportunity for whatever government consequences arise from that arrangement.
    That brings me back to my question above. Let's see you answer it honestly. If procreation is not a requirement for marriage, why do two people choose to get married?
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  5. #175
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Epic Mountain
    Last Seen
    12-28-09 @ 06:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,384

    Re: Can a person be against Gay Marriage and not be a bigot?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kali View Post
    You should come visit me and meet some of my family. I will show you some people that have no hate in their heart and could not have even if they tried. They simply do not support gay marriage. I have tried to tread lightly and talk to them about it but it really is useless cause they are not gonna change their minds due to they really are sheep. I am not saying that in a mean way cause I love em but they are blinded and binded in their faith and it is sad to me.
    What a lovely thing to say about one's family.


  6. #176
    Stigmatized! End R Word! Kali's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Last Seen
    08-19-12 @ 12:29 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    13,334
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Can a person be against Gay Marriage and not be a bigot?

    I said I was not saying it in a mean way. Did ya miss that part?
    ~Following My Own Flow~

  7. #177
    Sage
    Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    US
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:28 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,170

    Re: Can a person be against Gay Marriage and not be a bigot?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    The state is in the business of protecting our rights, and if they are allowing some to marry and not others, or recognizing some and not others in a legal sense, then the state is being unequal in its distribution or rights and recognitions.
    Marriage isn't a right.

  8. #178
    Sage
    Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    US
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:28 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,170

    Re: Can a person be against Gay Marriage and not be a bigot?

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    Partially. But you are missing the point and thinking too narrowly. Ask yourself this: since not all couples who are married procreate, why do two people choose to get married? If you are honest about the answer, you will then understand why the argument you are making (gays can marry...just people of the opposite sex) is illogical.
    A fact (premise, etc.) in and of itself isn't "illogical."

    What you call my "thinking too narrowly" is you taking that fact and putting it into an argument that you created and ascribe to me.

    That brings me back to my question above. Let's see you answer it honestly. If procreation is not a requirement for marriage, why do two people choose to get married?
    I don't see how this is relevant, but to answer your question:

    There are many potential reasons. Some marry because they're infatuated with the other person, head over heels in love. Some marry because their parents told them too. Some marry because their spouse has tons of money and that person likes the feeling of security. Some people marry because they want to start a family. Some marry for a mixture of some or all of those reasons. Some marry for none of those reasons.
    Last edited by Taylor; 11-09-09 at 12:09 AM.

  9. #179
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:04 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,725

    Re: Can a person be against Gay Marriage and not be a bigot?

    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    A fact (premise, etc.) in and of itself isn't "illogical."

    What you call my "thinking too narrowly" is you taking that fact and putting it into an argument that you created and ascribe to me.
    I am not "ascribing" an argument to you. I am giving you context about what the argument is about. It is about the sexual orientation of the people who want to marry. NOT the gender. That is why your argument is illogical. It's entire premise is false.


    I don't see how this is relevant, but to answer your question:

    There are many potential reasons. Some marry because they're infatuated with the other person, head over heels in love. Some marry because their parents told them too. Some marry because their spouse has tons of money and that person likes the feeling of security. Some people marry because they want to start a family. Some marry for a mixture of some or all of those reasons. Some marry for none of those reasons.
    And how are any of these reasons impacted by the sexual orientation of the two people involved?
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  10. #180
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Epic Mountain
    Last Seen
    12-28-09 @ 06:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,384

    Re: Can a person be against Gay Marriage and not be a bigot?

    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    Marriage isn't a right.
    Marriage isn't right. We are not monogamous critters by nature.

Page 18 of 24 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •