View Poll Results: Can a person be anti Gay marriage and not be a bigot?

Voters
90. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    65 72.22%
  • No

    25 27.78%
Page 16 of 24 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 160 of 236

Thread: Can a person be against Gay Marriage and not be a bigot?

  1. #151
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,494

    Re: Can a person be against Gay Marriage and not be a bigot?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Only rules can and are usually bent, changed, expanded etc to match the evolution of a society.
    Sometimes this is a good thing, sometimes not.

    As you said before it is a case by case thing here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  2. #152
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:20 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,018

    Re: Can a person be against Gay Marriage and not be a bigot?

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    Sometimes this is a good thing, sometimes not.

    As you said before it is a case by case thing here.
    Why is it bad if gay people get married? Will your children be unable to marry? Will they be denied rights, privileges etc because of this? Will they become gay or something? Will you? If the answer to all of these questions is 'no'. Then you've got no logical explanation for denying anybody the right, privilege(whatever it is Goobieman is calling it these days) to marry. Specially not because of your beliefs. If the answer to them is yes, I'd be more than willing to explain to you why you can't simply become a homosexual. Remember you are born homosexual. You decide to engage in homosexual behavior. Just like you were born straight and chose to engage in heterosexual behavior.
    Last edited by Hatuey; 11-08-09 at 06:10 PM.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  3. #153
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Epic Mountain
    Last Seen
    12-28-09 @ 06:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,384

    Re: Can a person be against Gay Marriage and not be a bigot?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Remember you are born homosexual. You decide to engage in homosexual behavior. Just like you were born straight and chose to engage in heterosexual behavior.
    I see what you did there...
    Last edited by EpicDude86; 11-08-09 at 06:16 PM. Reason: I saw what he did there.

  4. #154
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Can a person be against Gay Marriage and not be a bigot?

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    My argument is NOT whether or not this would be an added right. My argument IS that arguing from the position that "gays can still marry...just not someone of the same sex" is silly and irrelevant and does not take into consideration the reason this issue is an issue: sexual orientation. You know my position on this, Jerry. Just irks me to see people make silly arguments on this issue, either pro or con.
    Let me ask you with sincerity: is their orientation fulfilling the roll of marriage as "vital to the survival of mankind" (Skinner-v-OK)?

  5. #155
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Epic Mountain
    Last Seen
    12-28-09 @ 06:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,384

    Re: Can a person be against Gay Marriage and not be a bigot?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Let me ask you with sincerity: is their orientation fulfilling the roll of marriage as "vital to the survival of mankind" (Skinner-v-OK)?
    Their role of sex certainly itsn't it! ZING!

  6. #156
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:20 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,018

    Re: Can a person be against Gay Marriage and not be a bigot?

    Quote Originally Posted by EpicDude86 View Post
    I see what you did there...
    Can you blame me? Bit of a dirty trick to pull this late in the conversation but you gotta do whatchu gotta do!
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  7. #157
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Epic Mountain
    Last Seen
    12-28-09 @ 06:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,384

    Re: Can a person be against Gay Marriage and not be a bigot?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Can you blame me? Bit of a dirty trick to pull this late in the conversation but you gotta do whatchu gotta do!
    Yeah, I've noticed it can get pretty cutthroat in here.

    on a side note:

    Quote Originally Posted by EpicDude86 View Post
    this whole debate is asinine.
    Last edited by EpicDude86; 11-08-09 at 06:24 PM.

  8. #158
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Can a person be against Gay Marriage and not be a bigot?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    You're distorting what I said Jerry. Marriage is not an institution. The Catholic Church is an institution. Universities are institutions. A police department is an institution. Marriage is contractual agreement currently defined as being between a man and a woman. What is being sought is the expansion of this definition to be between two willing participants. So yes, that would be a change in the law. But not the complete make over you want to paint it as.
    Marriage is the establishment of a significant practice, relationship, or organization in a society or culture; therefore marriage is an institution.

    Please consult Webster and re-dress your argument to account for this new information.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Only rules can and are usually bent, changed, expanded etc to match the evolution of a society.
    Yes they can be, but that doesn't mean rights are being denied gays today.
    Last edited by Jerry; 11-08-09 at 06:24 PM.

  9. #159
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,494

    Re: Can a person be against Gay Marriage and not be a bigot?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Why is it bad if gay people get married?
    I have no idea, I have mixed emotions on the issue.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Will your children be unable to marry? Will they be denied rights, privileges etc because of this? Will they become gay or something? Will you? If the answer to all of these questions is 'no'. Then you've got no logical explanation for denying anybody the right, privilege(whatever it is Goobieman is calling it these days) to marry.
    #1 It's not a right.
    #2 I do not condone the lifestyle in any way, this does not mean I would deny anyone the same benefits as a married hetero couple. I mean realistically if this is not about benefits from the state, what is it about?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Specially not because of your beliefs. If the answer to them is yes, I'd be more than willing to explain to you why you can't simply become a homosexual. Remember you are born homosexual. You decide to engage in homosexual behavior. Just like you were born straight and chose to engage in heterosexual behavior.
    I absolutely can follow my beliefs as I see fit. You can explain all day and it will not make it right in my eyes or the eyes of many others.

    Welcome to the real world, we don't always agree for one reason or another.

    In the end it has nothing to do with my comment. All I said was change for whatever reason is not always good. History will bear me out on that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  10. #160
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Can a person be against Gay Marriage and not be a bigot?

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    #1 It's not a right.
    #2 I do not condone the lifestyle in any way, this does not mean I would deny anyone the same benefits as a married hetero couple. I mean realistically if this is not about benefits from the state, what is it about?
    The situation in CA teaches us that the issue is about validating an identity.

    In CA gays have the ability to share each and every single Civil Right as a married couple, with someone of the same sex, through Domestic Partnership. This is true even under Prop8.

    Yet gays want their identity validated with inclusion into "marriage". The legal buffs are secondary to this goal, and the welfare of the family a distant 3rd place.

Page 16 of 24 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •