View Poll Results: Terrorist or Not

Voters
161. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, A terrorist Attack

    110 68.32%
  • no

    51 31.68%
Page 2 of 39 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 390

Thread: Fort Hood - Terrorist Attack?

  1. #11
    Dangerous Spinmaster
    RightOfCenter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    South Dakota
    Last Seen
    04-14-12 @ 04:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,736

    Re: Fort Hood - Terrorist Attack?

    I don't consider attacks on military targets to be terrorism.
    Quote Originally Posted by SWM
    I never thought infanticide could be so delicious.

  2. #12
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Fort Hood - Terrorist Attack?

    Quote Originally Posted by RightOfCenter View Post
    I don't consider attacks on military targets to be terrorism.
    They can't be unless someone redefines "terrorist acts".

  3. #13
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,185

    Re: Fort Hood - Terrorist Attack?

    I think some of this is going to depend on how you define "terrorism".

    If you don't think targeting a military base in the middle of the USA is terrorism, then you won't think this was terrorism...I disagree, but set that aside.

    It is certainly looking like his motivations were terroristic. That is, a hate or anger against the USA because he is muslim or middle-eastern, etc, and a desire to kill people because of it.

    Did he act entirely alone, or were there people who supported/encouraged him or helped him plan his attack, etc? I don't think we know for sure yet, and even if the Gov finds out they may not tell us.

    Can one man, acting alone, be a terrorist? I would say most definately.

    Based on his actions and motivations, I would tend to classify this as terrorism, just as I classified the attack on the USS Cole as terrorism.

    G.

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  4. #14
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    Re: Fort Hood - Terrorist Attack?

    I don't figure it was a "terrorist" attack, but I suspect his religion played a role. To me, the most likely problem is a depressive disorder in which his age and religion played a role. If he was opposed to the ME wars, he could have gotten out of the military over the past 8 years at some point (I'm guessing), so the fact that he stayed in makes me wonder about the entire circumstance of what was happening with this guy.

  5. #15
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Fort Hood - Terrorist Attack?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    I think some of this is going to depend on how you define "terrorism".

    If you don't think targeting a military base in the middle of the USA is terrorism, then you won't think this was terrorism...I disagree, but set that aside.

    It is certainly looking like his motivations were terroristic. That is, a hate or anger against the USA because he is muslim or middle-eastern, etc, and a desire to kill people because of it.

    Did he act entirely alone, or were there people who supported/encouraged him or helped him plan his attack, etc? I don't think we know for sure yet, and even if the Gov finds out they may not tell us.

    Can one man, acting alone, be a terrorist? I would say most definately.

    Based on his actions and motivations, I would tend to classify this as terrorism, just as I classified the attack on the USS Cole as terrorism.

    G.
    Would you also call the Va tech massacre a terrorist act?

  6. #16
    Dangerous Spinmaster
    RightOfCenter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    South Dakota
    Last Seen
    04-14-12 @ 04:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,736

    Re: Fort Hood - Terrorist Attack?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    I think some of this is going to depend on how you define "terrorism".

    If you don't think targeting a military base in the middle of the USA is terrorism, then you won't think this was terrorism...I disagree, but set that aside.

    It is certainly looking like his motivations were terroristic. That is, a hate or anger against the USA because he is muslim or middle-eastern, etc, and a desire to kill people because of it.

    Did he act entirely alone, or were there people who supported/encouraged him or helped him plan his attack, etc? I don't think we know for sure yet, and even if the Gov finds out they may not tell us.

    Can one man, acting alone, be a terrorist? I would say most definately.

    Based on his actions and motivations, I would tend to classify this as terrorism, just as I classified the attack on the USS Cole as terrorism.

    G.
    I'm positive his religion was the main motivator for his actions. I simply don't consider attacks against military targets to be terrorism. Military targets are legitimate targets. Better he attacked soldiers than civilians.
    Quote Originally Posted by SWM
    I never thought infanticide could be so delicious.

  7. #17
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,998

    Re: Fort Hood - Terrorist Attack?

    Too early to tell for me, though currently leaning towards mass murder

    Unless it comes out that he was tied to some kind of terrorist organization that helped to plan/encourage/assist/incite directly/etc with this attack, or it comes out that there's compelling evidence that he did this in hopes of sending some kind of political message or for some kind of political stand other than "I just don't want to go to Iraq".

    Not to mention its specifically targeting the military instead of indiscriminately targeting civilians

    I don't see mass shootings like this or columbine or the guy in the museum recently as "Terrorist" acts. I see it as mass murders.

  8. #18
    Sage
    bhkad's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Last Seen
    08-13-10 @ 01:01 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    10,745

    Re: Fort Hood - Terrorist Attack?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Too early to tell for me, though currently leaning towards mass murder

    Unless it comes out that he was tied to some kind of terrorist organization that helped to plan/encourage/assist/incite directly/etc with this attack, or it comes out that there's compelling evidence that he did this in hopes of sending some kind of political message or for some kind of political stand other than "I just don't want to go to Iraq".

    Not to mention its specifically targeting the military instead of indiscriminately targeting civilians

    I don't see mass shootings like this or columbine or the guy in the museum recently as "Terrorist" acts. I see it as mass murders.
    Are you saying a lone nut job can't be a terrorist?

    Think John Mohammad, the DC sniper.

    OBL 11/24/02

  9. #19
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Fort Hood - Terrorist Attack?

    Quote Originally Posted by bhkad View Post
    Are you saying a lone nut job can't be a terrorist?

    Think John Mohammad, the DC sniper.
    I don't think he's a terrorist. He's a crazy nut-job sniper.

  10. #20
    Sage
    Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    US
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:31 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,170

    Re: Fort Hood - Terrorist Attack?

    I feel confident in calling this a terrorist act, preserving the slim possibility of an alternate explanation once the requisite train of dithering investigations is complete.

    But I just have to say GO GIRL! to the badass civilian cop who gunned this guy down after being hit multiple times. Who knows how many lives she saved by risking her own?

    <-- needs boobs

Page 2 of 39 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •