View Poll Results: Worst Presidents or Worstest?

Voters
58. You may not vote on this poll
  • Millard Fillmore

    2 3.45%
  • Franklin Pierce

    1 1.72%
  • Benjamin Harrison

    0 0%
  • Jimmy Carter

    21 36.21%
  • James Buchanan

    3 5.17%
  • Ronald Reagan

    12 20.69%
  • Other (Describe in your post why)

    19 32.76%
Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 137

Thread: Worst President Ever?

  1. #51
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Worst President Ever?

    Quote Originally Posted by EpicDude86 View Post
    My question is why is the FED a private bank?
    It's only quasi-private. It doesn't earn any profit, and its chairman are appointed by elected officials. It describes itself as "independent within the government," which I think is a fair characterization.

    And it's better that way. If it was DIRECTLY subject to meddling politicians, it would likely make decisions that may be politically popular but drastically wrong. And its integrity would be compromised by politicians trying to get reelected by pledging to do this or that to the interest rates, when A) they have no idea what they're talking about, and B) neither do the voters.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  2. #52
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    09-22-10 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: Worst President Ever?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    HOW did the Fed turn regional problems into a national crisis?
    Because it's a NATIONAL bank.

    Covers the whole nation.

    It created the NATIONAL problem of easy money in the Twenties, it created the NATIONAL problem of pinched off money in 1929, and thereby created the NATIONAL problem of a massive stock market crash.

    You were aware that the Federal Reserve operated throughout the entire nation, weren't you?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    HOW would not having a Fed at all be superior to having a timid Fed,
    Damnifino.

    How about you knock down your own strawmen? I said the FED caused the Depression. I didn't say the Don Knott's Fed or the Arnold Schwarzenegger Fed did the damage. I made no mention of strength or bravery or anything.

    The Fed caused the economic boom, the Fed caused the economic crash by limiting the money it lent, the Fed made the crash it caused worse by....not lending money.

    Also, needless to say this must be mentioned, the Congress violated the Constitution by transferring it's monetary duties under the Constitution to the privately owned Federal Reserve. No authority to abdicate it's power exists in the Constitution.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    And WHY has their only been one depression (which you and I agree was exacerbated by the Fed not loaning ENOUGH money) in the nearly 100 years since the Fed was established, instead of one every 10-15 years as was the norm prior to the establishment of the Fed?
    Your argument here has absolutely no logical bearing in your attempt to refute the claim that the Federal Reserve caused the Great Depression.

    Farmer John cut his toe off with his axe. Why didn't he cut off more? Because he learned to wear boots when chopping wood! Did he have to slice off his pecker before learning to not chop wood when nekkid? No. The lost toe was enough.

    The Fed learned be gentler to the economy. But the economists at the Fed helped FDR make the Depression worse, because their theories weren't working.

    Wanna know WHY we've never had a depression since the 1930's?

    It's really simple.

    FDR is in the unique position of having created the only depression inside a depression ("depression" was the word used to describe economic downturns at the time), and he didn't want the press to call it a depression, so he referred to it as a recession, instead.

    We haven't had any "depressions", but we've have a lot of ****in' recessions since FDR. And it was the FED that exacerbated Peanut Farmer's economic problems, leading to a couple of new terms in the American lexicon, STAGFLATION and "Misery Index".
    Last edited by Scarecrow Akhbar; 11-05-09 at 11:07 PM.

  3. #53
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Worst President Ever?

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow Akhbar
    It created the NATIONAL problem of easy money in the Twenties,
    Bubbles happen all the time, but they don't typically cause depressions. Besides, the Fed was MORE constrained during the 1920s than it is now due to the Gold Standard. If this theory was correct, we should be seeing depressions MORE often now.

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow Akhbar
    it created the NATIONAL problem of pinched off money in 1929, and thereby created the NATIONAL problem of a massive stock market crash.
    And how did you arrive at the conclusion that a pinched off monetary supply is an argument against the existence of the Fed, instead of an argument for the Fed to do even more? How would the economy have been better off if there WAS no Fed to loan money?

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow Akhbar
    The Fed caused the economic boom, the Fed caused the economic crash by limiting the money it lent, the Fed made the crash it caused worse by....not lending money.
    So the Fed caused the Great Depression by not lending money. And therefore we'd be better off without this institution which was created to lend money...so that we don't have anyone to lend money.

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow Akhbar
    Also, needless to say this must be mentioned, the Congress violated the Constitution by transferring it's monetary duties under the Constitution to the privately owned Federal Reserve.
    The Fed isn't truly private or public, it's somewhere in between.

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow Akhbar
    No authority to abdicate it's power exists in the Constitution.
    Article II, Section 2, Clause 2: He [the President] shall have Power, by and with the Advice and Consent of the Senate, to make Treaties, provided two thirds of the Senators present concur; and he shall nominate, and by and with the Advice and Consent of the Senate, shall appoint Ambassadors, other public Ministers and Consuls, Judges of the supreme Court, and all other Officers of the United States, whose Appointments are not herein otherwise provided for, and which shall be established by Law: but the Congress may by Law vest the Appointment of such inferior Officers, as they think proper, in the President alone, in the Courts of Law, or in the Heads of Departments.

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow Akhbar
    Farmer John cut his toe off with his axe. Why didn't he cut off more? Because he learned to wear boots when chopping wood!
    So logically you wouldn't blame the boots for his accident; they prevented it from being even worse.

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow Akhbar
    The Fed learned be gentler to the economy. But the economists at the Fed helped FDR make the Depression worse, because their theories weren't working.

    Wanna know WHY we've never had a depression since the 1930's?

    It's really simple.

    FDR is in the unique position of having created the only depression inside a depression ("depression" was the word used to describe economic downturns at the time), and he didn't want the press to call it a depression, so he referred to it as a recession, instead.

    We haven't had any "depressions", but we've have a lot of ****in' recessions since FDR.
    We've ALWAYS had a lot of ****in recessions throughout American history. The difference is that they aren't so severe that they qualify as depressions anymore, and even severe recessions like the current one are rare. We've only had one depression since the establishment of the Fed, and none since the end of Bretton Woods. Prior to the Fed, we were averaging one depression about every 10-15 years.

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow Akhbar
    And it was the FED that exacerbated Peanut Farmer's economic problems, leading to a couple of new terms in the American lexicon, STAGFLATION and "Misery Index".
    The Fed CAN'T cause stagflation. It's economically impossible. They can cut interest rates to reduce unemployment, or they can raise interest rates to reduce inflation. They can't do both.
    Last edited by Kandahar; 11-05-09 at 11:29 PM.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  4. #54
    Owner/Admin
    Benevolent Dictator Schweddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Plano, TX
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    11,512
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Worst President Ever?

    Lincoln is not up there. He split our country in half and created a war over taxes.
    If you analyse it, I believe the very heart and soul of conservatism is libertarianism. -Ronald Reagan

    I am also known as "vauge".

  5. #55
    Sage
    Dav's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    04-16-16 @ 02:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,539

    Re: Worst President Ever?

    Quote Originally Posted by vauge View Post
    Lincoln is not up there. He split our country in half and created a war over taxes.
    Lincoln did not split our country in half; the South broke off on its own accord.

    Also, Lincoln did not create the Civil War; it started with a Confederate act of aggression.

    Lincoln is not up there because Lincoln has no reason to be up there.

  6. #56
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Epic Mountain
    Last Seen
    12-28-09 @ 06:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,384

    Re: Worst President Ever?

    Quote Originally Posted by vauge View Post
    Lincoln is not up there. He split our country in half and created a war over taxes.
    but he free'd all the slaves...in...a country that didn't belong to him. HOW NOBLE!

  7. #57
    Owner/Admin
    Benevolent Dictator Schweddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Plano, TX
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    11,512
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Worst President Ever?

    The Tariff acts were against the south. Northerners were making money hand over fist and congress was passing tariff acts against the south highly taxing agriculture and liquor state to state trading. The southern economies were hurting and starving.

    Lincoln originally ran as a Whig party pro-slavery candidate. Then Mr "honest Abe" pissed on the conventions and stacked the deck in his favor virtually creating a mockery of the Constitution and voting system to get the nomination. Later, he dissed the Whig party in favor of the National Union Party (war democrats) so that he could continue his war and kill thousands of our citizens from both the North and South. He was a mockery and barely was re-elected by only the Northern states.

    In 1861 he also signed into law the Revenue Act of 1861 creating our first Income tax to fund his little war.

    The acts of aggression were from the North and South. They were not uniquely from the Southerners. Granted most of these aggressive measures were because of slavery by this point. I think it was South Carolina that broke off and Abe ignored state sovereignty and the most precious paper that we have - again!

    He is by far the worst pres we have ever had. Again, he split our nation in two. He was untrustworthy and deceitful.

    During this time countries from all over the world were ending slavery. It was on path well before he became president. Don't get me wrong, ending slavery was one of the best things that America has ever done. But it wasn't by his hand alone. I believe that it could have been done with much less blood.

    Edit: I prob never should have said anything. I wonder how long it will take for me to be called a racist?
    Last edited by Schweddy; 11-06-09 at 12:40 AM.
    If you analyse it, I believe the very heart and soul of conservatism is libertarianism. -Ronald Reagan

    I am also known as "vauge".

  8. #58
    Traditionalist
    phattonez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    12-05-17 @ 03:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,072

    Re: Worst President Ever?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dav View Post
    Lincoln did not split our country in half; the South broke off on its own accord.

    Also, Lincoln did not create the Civil War; it started with a Confederate act of aggression.

    Lincoln is not up there because Lincoln has no reason to be up there.
    A Confederate act of aggression to get control of land in their own territory?

    Who shall ascend the hill of the Lord? And who shall stand in his holy place? He who has clean hands and a pure heart, who does not lift up his soul to what is false, and does not swear deceitfully. Psalm 24
    "True law is right reason in agreement with nature . . . Whoever is disobedient is fleeing from himself and denying his human nature [and] will suffer the worst penalties . . ." - Cicero

  9. #59
    Sage
    Dav's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    04-16-16 @ 02:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,539

    Re: Worst President Ever?

    Wow, three posts defending the Confederacy in a row. That must be a new DP record.

    Quote Originally Posted by phattonez View Post
    A Confederate act of aggression to get control of land in their own territory?
    I suppose the 1979 Iranian takeover of the American embassy was justified because the embassy was "in their own territory"?

    Just because it is within the country's borders doesn't mean it belongs to the country. Otherwise, the Vatican and Monaco would not be independent states.

  10. #60
    Sage
    Dav's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    04-16-16 @ 02:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,539

    Re: Worst President Ever?

    Quote Originally Posted by vauge View Post
    The Tariff acts were against the south. Northerners were making money hand over fist and congress was passing tariff acts against the south highly taxing agriculture and liquor state to state trading. The southern economies were hurting and starving.

    Lincoln originally ran as a Whig party pro-slavery candidate. Then Mr "honest Abe" pissed on the conventions and stacked the deck in his favor virtually creating a mockery of the Constitution and voting system to get the nomination. Later, he dissed the Whig party in favor of the National Union Party (war democrats) so that he could continue his war and kill thousands of our citizens from both the North and South. He was a mockery and barely was re-elected by only the Northern states.

    In 1861 he also signed into law the Revenue Act of 1861 creating our first Income tax to fund his little war.

    The acts of aggression were from the North and South. They were not uniquely from the Southerners. Granted most of these aggressive measures were because of slavery by this point. I think it was South Carolina that broke off and Abe ignored state sovereignty and the most precious paper that we have - again!

    He is by far the worst pres we have ever had. Again, he split our nation in two. He was untrustworthy and deceitful.

    During this time countries from all over the world were ending slavery. It was on path well before he became president. Don't get me wrong, ending slavery was one of the best things that America has ever done. But it wasn't by his hand alone. I believe that it could have been done with much less blood.

    Edit: I prob never should have said anything. I wonder how long it will take for me to be called a racist?
    I'm curious. Is this the standard Texan view taught to schoolchildren over there, or do you just enjoy being a rebel by claiming that the president which historians almost unanimously pick as the best president ever is actually the worst president ever?

Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •