View Poll Results: Do you have the right to NOT exercise a right?

Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    40 88.89%
  • No

    2 4.44%
  • Other

    3 6.67%
Page 31 of 38 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast
Results 301 to 310 of 377

Thread: The right to -not- exercise a right?

  1. #301
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    09-22-10 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: The right to -not- exercise a right?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Wow...you just proved me right. I said all you have is saying "uh uh, I'm right", and that's what you did. The thread is proof of your continued dodges, misrepresentations, redefinitions, and overall sloppy and dishonest debate style.
    No.

    What I said was the proof is already in the thread and I don't see any need to repeat it.

    What you have are assumptions proven wrong.

  2. #302
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    09-22-10 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: The right to -not- exercise a right?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    You offered no proof,
    Proof is in the thread.

    You don't understand logic?

    Not my problem.

    You can't refute the fact that the proof has been presented by saying the proof hasn't been presented.

    It's in the friggin' thread.

    Try reading it.

  3. #303
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Epic Mountain
    Last Seen
    12-28-09 @ 06:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,384

    Re: The right to -not- exercise a right?

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow Akhbar View Post
    Oh, well, the last is possible. The other two aren't.
    Yeah but then you get into the issue of who/what/how does man get the right to give out rights

  4. #304
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    04-02-15 @ 06:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,211

    Re: The right to -not- exercise a right?

    Quote Originally Posted by EpicDude86 View Post
    Yeah but then you get into the issue of who/what/how does man get the right to give out rights
    Rights aren't meant to be viewed as objects or things to be taken and given. Instead, one must view them as morally justifiable acts.

    People can’t argue against “natural rights” until they establish a valid premise.
    Last edited by Ethereal; 11-10-09 at 05:13 PM.

  5. #305
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Epic Mountain
    Last Seen
    12-28-09 @ 06:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,384

    Re: The right to -not- exercise a right?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    Rights aren't meant to be viewed as objects or things to be taken and given. They are a righteous act.

    People can’t argue against “natural rights” until they establish a valid premise.
    Rights are viewed as abstract (that is non-concrete) possessions.

    But I kinda see what you're saying...

  6. #306
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    04-02-15 @ 06:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,211

    Re: The right to -not- exercise a right?

    Quote Originally Posted by EpicDude86 View Post
    Rights are viewed as abstract (that is non-concrete) possessions.
    According to who? From what I've read it's simply a morally justifiable act or claim. Natural law is a simple affirmation of individual liberty.

  7. #307
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Epic Mountain
    Last Seen
    12-28-09 @ 06:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,384

    Re: The right to -not- exercise a right?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    According to who? From what I've read it's simply a morally justifiable act or claim. Natural law is a simple affirmation of individual liberty.
    It's an abstract idea. Regardless of their morality or meanings, Rights, like many other words, are abstract ideas floating around within the heads of men. Some of these ideas take form and become more concrete as they are put into practice, but at the end of the day, they're still just in our head.

  8. #308
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: The right to -not- exercise a right?

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow Akhbar View Post
    Proof is in the thread.

    You don't understand logic?
    Wait, I thought we weren't taking "logic" as proof.

    Don't get all snippy just because I keep calling you on your terrible debate style. Get some intellectual integrity and honesty and come back if you don't like it. You haven't offered any proof. The proof in this thread is your deflection, your redefining of terms, and you misrepresentation of my points. That's it. You have no concrete proof of anything else. Nor can you since this is a philosophical debate based on the natural state of humans. And on that accord, you and I differ. I believe humans are essentially the same at base, you do not. I won't allow slavery as just action, you would. With that difference, we're not going to agree.

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow Akhbar View Post
    You can't refute the fact that the proof has been presented by saying the proof hasn't been presented.

    It's in the friggin' thread.

    Try reading it.
    There is no proof you've presented. You've presented misrepresentation of my point and confusion of legal and natural rights. But no proof.

    That's your problem
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  9. #309
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    04-02-15 @ 06:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,211

    Re: The right to -not- exercise a right?

    Quote Originally Posted by EpicDude86 View Post
    It's an abstract idea. Regardless of their morality or meanings, Rights, like many other words, are abstract ideas floating around within the heads of men. Some of these ideas take form and become more concrete as they are put into practice, but at the end of the day, they're still just in our head.
    I agree, but what's your point?

  10. #310
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: The right to -not- exercise a right?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    I agree, but what's your point?
    Their argument is that because of the abstract nature of the debate, that natural rights cannot exist.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

Page 31 of 38 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •