View Poll Results: Do you have the right to NOT exercise a right?

Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    40 88.89%
  • No

    2 4.44%
  • Other

    3 6.67%
Page 25 of 38 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast
Results 241 to 250 of 377

Thread: The right to -not- exercise a right?

  1. #241
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    09-22-10 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: The right to -not- exercise a right?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    What was the exaple that proved this?
    The ones earlier in the thread where I demonstrated that a person can hold mutually contradictory "rights", which means therefore that they can't be "natural", but are instead man-made.

  2. #242
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    09-22-10 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: The right to -not- exercise a right?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    What part of the text GRANTS the rights mentioned therein?
    If you could recite the text of the Ninth Amendment, you'd realize the silliness of your post.

    So you'd better look it up.

  3. #243
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: The right to -not- exercise a right?

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow Akhbar View Post
    If you could recite the text of the Ninth Amendment, you'd realize the silliness of your post.
    So you'd better look it up.
    I am fully familiar with the text, which is exactly why I asked.

    The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people.
    So, I ask again:
    What part of the text GRANTS the rights mentioned therein?

  4. #244
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: The right to -not- exercise a right?

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow Akhbar View Post
    The ones earlier in the thread where I demonstrated that a person can hold mutually contradictory "rights", which means therefore that they can't be "natural", but are instead man-made.
    Ok... and which "mutually contradictory 'rights'" were those?

  5. #245
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: The right to -not- exercise a right?

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow Akhbar View Post
    Love is an emotion, which are chemically created influences on the brain.

    Gods don't exist.




    Only because at one time science was called "natural philosophy".

    Really, and trust me on this, airplane wings generate lift solely because of their shape and the movement of air across their surfaces, and they care about neither Calvin nor Hobbes.



    Right.

    We can't argue about the existence of natural rights because I've already proven they can't exist because it's possible to construct pairs of mutually exclusive rights.

    Matter and anti-matter can exist only so long as they're kept apart, rights and anti-rights can't exist in the same person.



    Yes.

    Humans can invent things that never before existed that aren't part of their natural evolutionary heritage.

    Pacemakers, for one example.

    Rights, for another.

    "extelligence"

    Why not "outelligence" or "uptelligence" or "insideouttelligence"?
    You didn't prove anything. You intentionally mistake natural and lawful right to make a point. It's why I stopped talking to you earlier. Intellectually dishonest debate gets us nowhere and I don't engage in it.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  6. #246
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    09-22-10 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: The right to -not- exercise a right?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    I am fully familiar with the text, which is exactly why I asked.



    So, I ask again:
    What part of the text GRANTS the rights mentioned therein?
    Oh!


    What you're asking is where in the Constitution, a document written by people obsessed with the silly notion that some Magic Sky Pixie created them and gave them rights, is it written that rights are GIVEN!!!!

    Well, it ain't there.

    Right's are the limits placed upon government by what the people will accept. They don't have to be listed in the Table of Contents as "Rights Defined Here" or "Here There be Rights" or "Ye Olde Liste of Rytes".

    What's most important to note is that there ain't no "natural" rights, so they always vary from society to society.

    In certain societies, captured enemies had the right to be stew. So much for their right to life. In other societies captured terrorists are given rights no sane society would give them.

    In other societies, women could not own property. In others, women can own billion dollar corporations.

    In other societies, women can't walk outside without wearing a cloak of concealment, in others they can go topless on the beach.

    In some societies woman can murder babies who, according to natural rights theorists, have the right to life.

    So, the whole BS about "natural rights" is wrong, even if John Locke says otherwise.

    Welcome to the world of logic, not emotion.
    Last edited by Scarecrow Akhbar; 11-09-09 at 02:39 PM.

  7. #247
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: The right to -not- exercise a right?

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow Akhbar View Post
    Oh!

    What you're asking is where in the Constitution, a document written by people obsessed with the silly notion that some Magic Sky Pixie created them and gave them rights, is it written that rights are GIVEN!!!!

    Well, it ain't there.
    Ok then....
    How about the state Constitutions, federal law or state laws?
    Can you cite where any of those grant us our rights?

    Right's are the limits placed upon government by what the people will accept.
    Seems to me that by placing a limit on the government's abilitly to interfere with a right, the right is presumed to pre-exist the government.
    That's not a 'grant' of a right, that's the existence of the right as a given.

    Can you show where the rights are granted, or not?

  8. #248
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    09-22-10 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: The right to -not- exercise a right?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    Ok then....
    How about the state Constitutions, federal law or state laws?
    Can you cite where any of those grant us our rights?


    Seems to me that by placing a limit on the government's abilitly to interfere with a right, the right is presumed to pre-exist the government.
    That's not a 'grant' of a right, that's the existence of the right as a given.

    Can you show where the rights are granted, or not?
    Hello?

    The right is a limit.

    Until the government existed, it couldn't have limits placed on it.

    The limits to the government are POWERS that the people seek to control, because government is POWER, nothing else.

    Start discussing POWER and FORCE and you'll start discussing what it is that the fiction of "rights" are controlling.

    Get to the root causes, and try to base your world view on the rational universe, not the feel good emotionalism of religion.

  9. #249
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: The right to -not- exercise a right?

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow Akhbar View Post
    Hello?
    The right is a limit.

    On whom?
    Where is that limit specified?

    Until the government existed, it couldn't have limits placed on it.
    So you then agree that the right existed -before- government was created, and that, rather than grant that rights, the creation of government did nothing but -restrict- that right, to whatever degree specified and/or allowed within the founding of that government.
    Last edited by Goobieman; 11-09-09 at 02:53 PM.

  10. #250
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    09-22-10 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: The right to -not- exercise a right?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post

    On whom?
    Where is that limit specified?
    Example:

    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."


    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    So you then agree that the right existed -before- government was created,
    Want a match for when you're done building your strawman?

Page 25 of 38 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •