View Poll Results: Should parents use GPS tracking to monitor their children?

Voters
59. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! An implanted chip would be even safer!

    7 11.86%
  • Yes, I think this is a practical way to keep track of kids

    11 18.64%
  • It would be warranted in some cases

    15 25.42%
  • I'm not comfortable with this idea, I don't think so

    16 27.12%
  • Brave New World here we come. They've gotta start them young.

    10 16.95%
Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 270

Thread: Should parents use a GPS tracking device to monitor their children?

  1. #21
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: Should parents use a GPS tracking device to monitor their children?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    It's up to the parent, but I find the use of it to be rather disturbing. People freak out all the time about **** and the overprotection of kids could have negative side effects. There aren't anymore latchkey kids. The time of "Hey mom, I'm going to ride my bike with my friends" "OK, be back for dinner though" seems to be over. I don't think we're necessarily that much more vulnerable or at more risk; it's that people are freaking out a bit too much. Guess fear sells though.
    My son is latchkey, and goes riding his bike with his friends every night. I guess I live in Mayberry, though. I don't have a problem with this technology, juveniles don't have the same rights in our society as adults do, so it isn't an invasion of their rights. It's a choice for parents.

  2. #22
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Between Hollywood and Compton.
    Last Seen
    11-25-09 @ 12:02 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    5,497

    Re: Should parents use a GPS tracking device to monitor their children?

    Quote Originally Posted by liblady View Post
    not offhand i can't. maybe is is just a sentiment, but it seems to me gang shootings were much less common 20 years ago, as well as child murder.
    Anecdotal sentiments.

    Quote Originally Posted by liblady View Post
    even if that wasn't the case, why not know where your young children are?
    Well, if it's a matter of attachment against their will, it seems a fairly straightforward ethical violation, since the discomfort that they endure through the knowledge of being constantly electronically monitored is likely to exceed the comfort that their parents gain from spying.

  3. #23
    Sage
    Arcana XV's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Geneva, Switzerland and Rochester, NY
    Last Seen
    10-22-17 @ 10:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,412

    Re: Should parents use a GPS tracking device to monitor their children?

    I'm not comfortable with this at all. I agree it's up to the parents if they want to use it or not. I don't think I'd use it, tho. I would definitely not like to be a kid in this day and age. The poor things have zero freedom anymore. Imagine growing up knowing that your parents have total and absolute control of everything you do and everywhere you go.

    Besides, kids are not stupid. They'll just take the device out of their backpacks, or leave the backpack somewhere and go do their own thing. At least I hope so, for their sake.
    "Yes, but are you a Protestant atheist or a Catholic atheist?".- Northern Irish joke

  4. #24
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: Should parents use a GPS tracking device to monitor their children?

    Quote Originally Posted by liblady View Post
    not offhand i can't. maybe is is just a sentiment, but it seems to me gang shootings were much less common 20 years ago, as well as child murder.
    Actually, while gang crime has recently started to increase again, it's still considerably below the peak years of 1993-1996.

  5. #25
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Should parents use a GPS tracking device to monitor their children?

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    My son is latchkey, and goes riding his bike with his friends every night. I guess I live in Mayberry, though. I don't have a problem with this technology, juveniles don't have the same rights in our society as adults do, so it isn't an invasion of their rights. It's a choice for parents.
    Yeah, I said it was the parent's choice. I just don't like the tracking stuff a whole lot. I think it will end up opening doors best left closed.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  6. #26
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: Should parents use a GPS tracking device to monitor their children?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Yeah, I said it was the parent's choice. I just don't like the tracking stuff a whole lot. I think it will end up opening doors best left closed.
    Well, my son wanders all over the neighborhood after about 4 p.m. on his bike. There are days when I'd like to have GPS because he consistently leaves his phone at home. I feel like our neighborhood is relatively safe, almost zero crime, but some days, I'd like to know his EXACT location. That's probably unthinkable to some parents, but in my suburban/rural area, it's pretty much the norm.

  7. #27
    pirate lover
    liblady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    St Thomas, VI
    Last Seen
    03-14-16 @ 03:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    16,165
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Should parents use a GPS tracking device to monitor their children?

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    Actually, while gang crime has recently started to increase again, it's still considerably below the peak years of 1993-1996.
    good news. i still don't think it's a bad thing to track young children. as i posted, it might even allow for more freedom. i was lucky, my kids grew up in small towns with no crime to speak of.

    Originally Posted by johnny_rebson:

    These are the same liberals who forgot how Iraq attacked us on 9/11.


  8. #28
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Between Hollywood and Compton.
    Last Seen
    11-25-09 @ 12:02 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    5,497

    Re: Should parents use a GPS tracking device to monitor their children?

    I don't even see the purpose of debating it. Xenu and Allah above know that the more ingenious will simply pop it in the microwave.

  9. #29
    pirate lover
    liblady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    St Thomas, VI
    Last Seen
    03-14-16 @ 03:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    16,165
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Should parents use a GPS tracking device to monitor their children?

    Quote Originally Posted by Agnapostate View Post
    I don't even see the purpose of debating it. Xenu and Allah above know that the more ingenious will simply pop it in the microwave.
    lol!

    not if they don't know where it is.

    Originally Posted by johnny_rebson:

    These are the same liberals who forgot how Iraq attacked us on 9/11.


  10. #30
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Should parents use a GPS tracking device to monitor their children?

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    Well, my son wanders all over the neighborhood after about 4 p.m. on his bike. There are days when I'd like to have GPS because he consistently leaves his phone at home. I feel like our neighborhood is relatively safe, almost zero crime, but some days, I'd like to know his EXACT location. That's probably unthinkable to some parents, but in my suburban/rural area, it's pretty much the norm.
    I'm not saying there aren't sometimes reasonable arguments for. I just in general do not like that sort of tracking and think it can very easily lead to bad places. So I'd rather avoid the slope all together. This sort of thing will probably only exacerbate the problem of people unreasonably freaking out anyway.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •