View Poll Results: Should parents use GPS tracking to monitor their children?

Voters
59. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! An implanted chip would be even safer!

    7 11.86%
  • Yes, I think this is a practical way to keep track of kids

    11 18.64%
  • It would be warranted in some cases

    15 25.42%
  • I'm not comfortable with this idea, I don't think so

    16 27.12%
  • Brave New World here we come. They've gotta start them young.

    10 16.95%
Page 25 of 27 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 LastLast
Results 241 to 250 of 270

Thread: Should parents use a GPS tracking device to monitor their children?

  1. #241
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,858
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Should parents use a GPS tracking device to monitor their children?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    Because you CAN'T protect your child from all types of dangers, even if you wanted to. Besides, you probably DON'T want to. Or are you going to ban your children from ever riding in automobiles, swimming, being in tall buildings, and being near firearms...and insist on getting every meal they eat analyzed by a lab? Even if you went to this ridiculous extreme, there would STILL be lots of things far more dangerous than kidnapping by strangers or school shootings!
    You're right that we can't protect them from everything. But with the stuff that we can protect them from then..what is the problem with it? The device in the OP gives parents the option of protecting them from something that they really couldn't do effectively before. So if you have the means to do so why not use it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    No. The fact that you got the GPS tracker means that you'll continue to worry about these things, and other things the media tells you to worry about, instead of REAL dangers.
    Why would you continue to worry? 1 second of looking at a screen will tell you were your child is. Then you go about your business. I'm sure that your parents were always wondering where you were at. So instead of having to call all over the place spending possibly hours looking, parents now can find out pretty much instantly.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  2. #242
    Professor
    Phoenix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    04-27-17 @ 10:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,782

    Re: Should parents use a GPS tracking device to monitor their children?

    1. Car crashes (43,200 per year) So we use seatbelts and car seats
    2. Falls (14,900) We use gates and barriers
    3. Poisoning by solids or liquids (8,600) We use locked cabinets and out of reach places
    4. Drowning (4,000) We use fences
    5. Burns and fires (3,700) We use smoke detectors and evacuation plans
    6. Suffocation (3,300) We keep plastic bags away from children
    7. Firearm accidents (1,500) Trigger locks and locked vaults
    8. Gas poisoning (700) WTF gas poisoning?


    So explain to me again why it is so crazy to also attempt to protect children from yet another threat?
    From the ashes.

  3. #243
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Between Hollywood and Compton.
    Last Seen
    11-25-09 @ 12:02 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    5,497

    Re: Should parents use a GPS tracking device to monitor their children?

    My posts are buried deep and I'm not sure how much of this monstrosity can even be salvaged, but we're now seeing more organized opposition expressed:

    GPS tracking device, LittleBuddy or Big Brother | kids, parents, nadel - Top Story - CBS Channel 12 News


    West Palm Beach- A tiny new G-P-S product set to hit store shelves this month could make it easier and more affordable than ever before to keep a digital eye on your kids. It's called the "LittleBuddy" and it's about the size of a flash drive. But one youth civil rights advocate worries the product will be used for spying more than to keep kids safe. The device is sold only at Best Buy and cost less than $100.

    "It should give you real time updating where the person is...it will also allow you to view a log," said Best Buy Manager Nathan Hourani.

    The device works anywhere in the US. Parents can even get alerts at home on their computer or even on their smart phones if their child goes someplace he or she shouldn't.

    "I guess it would be a good thing, because i lose my kids all the time," said Stacy Ortiz, a mother of three

    But Jeffrey Nadel is one teen who is not a fan of devices like the LittleBuddy.

    "You know you care a lot about your spouse, but do you really think it would be appropriate in your wife's purse or your husbands pocket. Probably not, but for young people that's seen as something that's ok to do," Nadel told CBS 12.

    The 17 year heads up the National Youth Rights Council, advocating for the civil rights of minors.

    The group does things like suing the City of West Palm Beach because they say the city's curfew is unconstitutional.

    So when it comes to GPS tracking devices for kids, Jeffrey says unless parents talk to their kids first, the LittelBuddy might only create more distance between parents and their kids. Even the FBI agrees.

    "If parents are relying strictly on technology to monitor where their kids are, they're not parenting," said FBI spokeswoman April Langwell.

    So Nadel says if parents really want to know where their kids are at all times, open the lines of communication, then they can introduce new technology to make their kids safer.

    "And if they understand if you trust them to make decisions, they will take a hands on roll and they will be responsible for their own safety and their own well being," said Nadel.

    There is about a 15 dollar monthly monitoring fee. It should be in Best Buys stores on the 17th of november.
    I'll uh...attempt to come back.

  4. #244
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Should parents use a GPS tracking device to monitor their children?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    You're right that we can't protect them from everything. But with the stuff that we can protect them from then..what is the problem with it? The device in the OP gives parents the option of protecting them from something that they really couldn't do effectively before. So if you have the means to do so why not use it?
    Because it isn't worth the monetary cost, the time cost, the stress cost, or the cost of invading your child's privacy to be so overprotective about something that is not a serious threat outside of the media's imagination.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang
    Why would you continue to worry? 1 second of looking at a screen will tell you were your child is. Then you go about your business. I'm sure that your parents were always wondering where you were at.
    Nope. When I got my driver's license, I'd just tell my parents I was going out. They only occasionally asked where, and never checked up on me. And I never got in any trouble. They respected my privacy.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang
    So instead of having to call all over the place spending possibly hours looking, parents now can find out pretty much instantly.
    If being able to spy on your kid is what this is about, that's a different matter entirely from worrying about kidnapping.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  5. #245
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Should parents use a GPS tracking device to monitor their children?

    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
    1. Car crashes (43,200 per year) So we use seatbelts and car seats
    You could ban your kid from riding in a car at all, under any circumstances, and it'd go a lot farther to save their lives than worrying about silly things like school shootings. But most people don't do this, because presumably it isn't worth the inconvenience to them.

    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix
    2. Falls (14,900) We use gates and barriers
    Do you really? Or do you just SAY that, and then not actually use them? And will these prevent ALL deaths by falling?

    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix
    3. Poisoning by solids or liquids (8,600) We use locked cabinets and out of reach places
    This includes food too.

    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix
    4. Drowning (4,000) We use fences
    Do you really? Or do you just SAY that, and then not actually use them? And will these prevent ALL deaths by drowning?

    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix
    5. Burns and fires (3,700) We use smoke detectors and evacuation plans
    Admirable. But this still will not prevent all burn/fire deaths. Any improvement you can make beyond that (such as removing ALL flammable objects in or near your house) would go a lot farther than worrying about silly things like school shootings.

    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix
    6. Suffocation (3,300) We keep plastic bags away from children
    Do you really? Or do you just SAY that, and then not actually do that? And will doing so prevent ALL deaths by suffocation?

    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix
    8. Gas poisoning (700) WTF gas poisoning?
    Exactly. In an average year, that "WTF" cause of death kills 140 times more people than school shootings. And yet no one even THINKS to worry about this, because it isn't sexy and therefore isn't hyped in the media.

    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix
    So explain to me again why it is so crazy to also attempt to protect children from yet another threat?
    It's such an insignificant threat that it isn't worth worrying about. It's called being an overprotective parent...and it isn't something to be proud of. Let me give you another piece of data to put this in perspective: Remember how I said an average of 5 people per year are killed by school shootings in this country? Well, 13 people per year are killed by vending machines falling on them. You're better off worrying about THAT than you are about school shootings...but no one even THINKS to worry about that.
    Last edited by Kandahar; 11-05-09 at 08:34 PM.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  6. #246
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Should parents use a GPS tracking device to monitor their children?

    Ooh, I just found something else that you're better off worrying about than school shootings. Bubonic plague. That's right. In an average year in the United States, about 15 people will contract bubonic plague, and about 7 will die from it. That makes it 40% more deadly than school shootings.
    Last edited by Kandahar; 11-05-09 at 09:25 PM.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  7. #247
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,858
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Should parents use a GPS tracking device to monitor their children?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    Because it isn't worth the monetary cost, the time cost, the stress cost, or the cost of invading your child's privacy to be so overprotective about something that is not a serious threat outside of the media's imagination.
    Monetary cost? A kids life and well being has a monetary limit? Sides the device is less than $100...how much was your gaming console?

    Stress? Such a device relieves stress.

    Childs Privacy? As I've said before, when it comes to the parents that child has no privacy except that which the parent gives them...if any.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    Nope. When I got my driver's license, I'd just tell my parents I was going out. They only occasionally asked where, and never checked up on me. And I never got in any trouble. They respected my privacy.
    And how old were you? 16? 17? At that age you should be able to go out on your own. But we are talking about kids here...not young adults.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    If being able to spy on your kid is what this is about, that's a different matter entirely from worrying about kidnapping.
    Kidnapping was just ONE of the many things that a gps device would be useful for. As I've stated before there are many reasons. But you scoffed at most of them thinking that kids don't do that kind of stuff except the rare bad kid....because, according to you, of bad parenting. Of course you never considered the single parents in that summation of yours either.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  8. #248
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Should parents use a GPS tracking device to monitor their children?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    Monetary cost? A kids life and well being has a monetary limit? Sides the device is less than $100...how much was your gaming console?
    Why don't you ban your kids from ever riding in a car then? That would be a much better investment in their safety. But like most everyone else, you DO put a cost limit on your kid's life...if not in terms of money, then in terms of the inconvenience of getting them from Point A to Point B without a car.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang
    Childs Privacy? As I've said before, when it comes to the parents that child has no privacy except that which the parent gives them...if any.
    And as I've said before, I'm glad you weren't my father. You sound like an authoritarian whose kids are probably going to go absolutely wild the day they leave for college. If you have so little regard for your kids' privacy, they'll hate you...or at least distrust you.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang
    And how old were you? 16? 17? At that age you should be able to go out on your own. But we are talking about kids here...not young adults.
    Oh. Well at younger ages, my parents almost always knew where I was. Without the GPS.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang
    Kidnapping was just ONE of the many things that a gps device would be useful for. As I've stated before there are many reasons. But you scoffed at most of them thinking that kids don't do that kind of stuff except the rare bad kid....because, according to you, of bad parenting. Of course you never considered the single parents in that summation of yours either.
    Are we still talking about kids, or about young adults now? Because the things you mentioned were things like stealing cars.
    Last edited by Kandahar; 11-05-09 at 11:41 PM.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  9. #249
    Professor
    Phoenix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    04-27-17 @ 10:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,782

    Re: Should parents use a GPS tracking device to monitor their children?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    You could ban your kid from riding in a car at all, under any circumstances, and it'd go a lot farther to save their lives than worrying about silly things like school shootings. But most people don't do this, because presumably it isn't worth the inconvenience to them.

    Do you really? Or do you just SAY that, and then not actually use them? And will these prevent ALL deaths by falling?

    This includes food too.

    Do you really? Or do you just SAY that, and then not actually use them? And will these prevent ALL deaths by drowning?

    Admirable. But this still will not prevent all burn/fire deaths. Any improvement you can make beyond that (such as removing ALL flammable objects in or near your house) would go a lot farther than worrying about silly things like school shootings.

    Do you really? Or do you just SAY that, and then not actually do that? And will doing so prevent ALL deaths by suffocation?

    Exactly. In an average year, that "WTF" cause of death kills 140 times more people than school shootings. And yet no one even THINKS to worry about this, because it isn't sexy and therefore isn't hyped in the media.

    It's such an insignificant threat that it isn't worth worrying about. It's called being an overprotective parent...and it isn't something to be proud of. Let me give you another piece of data to put this in perspective: Remember how I said an average of 5 people per year are killed by school shootings in this country? Well, 13 people per year are killed by vending machines falling on them. You're better off worrying about THAT than you are about school shootings...but no one even THINKS to worry about that.
    As a general rule, yes, I do these things to protect my child. (except trigger locks to be honest) I don't get your line of reasoning, "will it prevent all deaths?" Well no, but I assume you already knew that. I am not concerned about ALL deaths or just merely death. Injuries occur also. And I am mostly concerned about MY child.
    And what's with the school shooting infatuation? Let's face it a GPS dongle isn't going to help in a school shooting (a .45 may) unless it's to help locate your child in the aftermath so let's dismiss that now.
    If a child were kidnapped the GPS locator may help. As unlikely as it is, it gives parents piece of mind.
    The use I see in this piece of equipment is less the absolutist "in case they get kidnapped" scenario that most have alluded to here, but more the oh **** where did he go while in a store or the woods or in a crowd of people like at the amusement park. Or as some have mentioned maybe the parents give the child MORE freedom to do things on their own if they can keep some type of handle on them. Drop this thing in the trunk of the car for a teen, see if they tell you the truth about where they are going. Trusting your children is certainly a great thing. Nothing wrong with checking behind them to make sure.
    The privacy rights of a minor child argument is a strawman. Mostly since parents make those decisions for the child in most cases anyway. Even if it's decided that parents can't make those decisions, it's up to the child, the first time the child can't go to the movies unless they take their GPS, they would relinquish their "right".
    Last edited by Phoenix; 11-06-09 at 01:01 AM.
    From the ashes.

  10. #250
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,858
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Should parents use a GPS tracking device to monitor their children?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    Why don't you ban your kids from ever riding in a car then? That would be a much better investment in their safety. But like most everyone else, you DO put a cost limit on your kid's life...if not in terms of money, then in terms of the inconvenience of getting them from Point A to Point B without a car.
    Nothing is ever 100% safe in this world. But that doesn't change the fact that a person can't do all that they can to protect their child. Sometimes concessions must be made...like driving a car with them in it. Other times concessions don't have to be made. Like putting a GPS tracker on em. Besides didn't you hear? Seat belts save lives!.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    And as I've said before, I'm glad you weren't my father. You sound like an authoritarian whose kids are probably going to go absolutely wild the day they leave for college. If you have so little regard for your kids' privacy, they'll hate you...or at least distrust you.
    You should prolly know that my folks never even let me out of the yard unless it was to go to school...until I was 17. I have 3 other siblings to thank for that. And yet, despite what you think I love my parents very much. More so than the other kids that had more freedom than me. Yes tough love is a B***H. But in the end it is worth it. To both the child and the parents.

    And yes I'm would have to agree with you. I'm glad you weren't my kid either.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    Oh. Well at younger ages, my parents almost always knew where I was. Without the GPS.
    Almost? So they didn't know where you were all the time. That is the time that kids usually get into trouble.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    Are we still talking about kids, or about young adults now? Because the things you mentioned were things like stealing cars.
    Still kids. Haven't you ever heard of a 14-15 year olds stealing a car before?
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

Page 25 of 27 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •