View Poll Results: Should parents use GPS tracking to monitor their children?

Voters
59. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! An implanted chip would be even safer!

    7 11.86%
  • Yes, I think this is a practical way to keep track of kids

    11 18.64%
  • It would be warranted in some cases

    15 25.42%
  • I'm not comfortable with this idea, I don't think so

    16 27.12%
  • Brave New World here we come. They've gotta start them young.

    10 16.95%
Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 270

Thread: Should parents use a GPS tracking device to monitor their children?

  1. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    11-23-11 @ 10:06 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,827

    Re: Should parents use a GPS tracking device to monitor their children?

    Quote Originally Posted by liblady View Post
    how do you equate protecting young children to being spineless?
    My suggestion is that the Helicopter Parent phenomenon is a growing one in our society, and is being fed by a constant media feeding frenzy. I think it's stunting our young people to not be allowed to grow up experiencing a freedom to both explore their neighborhoods and physical environments, and to experience some of the natural consequences of their mistakes. We therefore have had a whole generation of young people unfit for responsible adulthood until they are in their 30s or 40s.

  2. #12
    Sage
    Dav's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    04-16-16 @ 02:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,539

    Re: Should parents use a GPS tracking device to monitor their children?

    Quote Originally Posted by liblady View Post
    up to the parent, i think.
    This.

    I really don't care one way or the other.

  3. #13
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,067

    Re: Should parents use a GPS tracking device to monitor their children?

    Quote Originally Posted by Agnapostate View Post
    You can usually identify an authoritarian position by its supporters.
    How does saying as long as it is not a implant it should be up to the parents make one an authoritarian?
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  4. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Between Hollywood and Compton.
    Last Seen
    11-25-09 @ 12:02 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    5,497

    Re: Should parents use a GPS tracking device to monitor their children?

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    How does saying as long as it is not a implant it should be up to the parents make one an authoritarian?
    Parental influence can constitute an authoritarian force just as employer or church influence can. Much of it is of of course justifiable authoritarianism, particularly with very young children. However, permitting the indiscriminate and involuntary attachment of tracking devices on people is likely to result in injustice.

  5. #15
    pirate lover
    liblady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    St Thomas, VI
    Last Seen
    03-14-16 @ 03:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    16,165
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Should parents use a GPS tracking device to monitor their children?

    Quote Originally Posted by MyOwnDrum View Post
    My suggestion is that the Helicopter Parent phenomenon is a growing one in our society, and is being fed by a constant media feeding frenzy. I think it's stunting our young people to not be allowed to grow up experiencing a freedom to both explore their neighborhoods and physical environments, and to experience some of the natural consequences of their mistakes. We therefore have had a whole generation of young people unfit for responsible adulthood until they are in their 30s or 40s.
    their neighborhoods and physical environments are not as safe as they once were. i agree we've become over protective, but i see no problems with tracking young children. in fact, that could allow for more exploration.

    Originally Posted by johnny_rebson:

    These are the same liberals who forgot how Iraq attacked us on 9/11.


  6. #16
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Between Hollywood and Compton.
    Last Seen
    11-25-09 @ 12:02 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    5,497

    Re: Should parents use a GPS tracking device to monitor their children?

    Quote Originally Posted by liblady View Post
    their neighborhoods and physical environments are not as safe as they once were.
    That sentiment is common enough, but can you refer to any empirical data that indicates that there's been a legitimately substantial increase in the dangers that children and youth face in the past generation, as opposed to mere perceptions of it fostered by the likes of John Walsh and Chris Hansen?

  7. #17
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Should parents use a GPS tracking device to monitor their children?

    It's up to the parent, but I find the use of it to be rather disturbing. People freak out all the time about **** and the overprotection of kids could have negative side effects. There aren't anymore latchkey kids. The time of "Hey mom, I'm going to ride my bike with my friends" "OK, be back for dinner though" seems to be over. I don't think we're necessarily that much more vulnerable or at more risk; it's that people are freaking out a bit too much. Guess fear sells though.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  8. #18
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,067

    Re: Should parents use a GPS tracking device to monitor their children?

    Quote Originally Posted by Agnapostate View Post
    Parental influence can constitute an authoritarian force just as employer or church influence can. Much of it is of of course justifiable authoritarianism, particularly with very young children. However, permitting the indiscriminate and involuntary attachment of tracking devices on people is likely to result in injustice.
    A tracking device in Little timmy's lunch box or back pack is not permanent and would probably be a waste of money if Chester the Child molester is smart enough to toss Little Timmy's back pack or lunch box out the window.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  9. #19
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Between Hollywood and Compton.
    Last Seen
    11-25-09 @ 12:02 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    5,497

    Re: Should parents use a GPS tracking device to monitor their children?

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    A tracking device in Little timmy's lunch box or back pack is not permanent and would probably be a waste of money if Chester the Child molester is smart enough to toss Little Timmy's back pack or lunch box out the window.
    Of a nation of 300 million+, approximately one to two hundred children are kidnapped by strangers every year. I don't see any reason to affirm an excessive sovereignty over childrens' bodies of the persons most likely to kidnap/abuse/kill them.

  10. #20
    pirate lover
    liblady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    St Thomas, VI
    Last Seen
    03-14-16 @ 03:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    16,165
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Should parents use a GPS tracking device to monitor their children?

    Quote Originally Posted by Agnapostate View Post
    That sentiment is common enough, but can you refer to any empirical data that indicates that there's been a legitimately substantial increase in the dangers that children and youth face in the past generation, as opposed to mere perceptions of it fostered by the likes of John Walsh and Chris Hansen?
    not offhand i can't. maybe is is just a sentiment, but it seems to me gang shootings were much less common 20 years ago, as well as child murder.

    even if that wasn't the case, why not know where your young children are?

    Originally Posted by johnny_rebson:

    These are the same liberals who forgot how Iraq attacked us on 9/11.


Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •